PDA

View Full Version : Question for Waldorf Mommas

annasmom
01-13-2006, 01:44 PM
We live near a Waldorf school and I am really intrigued. I think that it may be a good fit for my dd for preschool.

First, let me start off by saying that I know about the controversies about Waldorf education, and my question is not about Waldorf education in general. But rather, based on our lifestyle, whether I should even consider it. I should also note that we would ONLY be considering it for preschool.

My issue is we are not an AP family. I do encorporate some AP techniques into our lifestyle, but not all. Also frankly, some things have worked better for dd than ds, and vice versa. Anyway, I was wondering whether because we are not an AP family, whether a Waldorf school would not be a good fit for us.

I hope this post hasn't been too rambling. I know my question is pretty vague. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

holliam
01-13-2006, 01:47 PM
I don't think it matters at all. I think AP, NFL (natural family living), and Waldorf education are separate things. It's just that some of their principles lead people to all of them simultaneously. However, I definitely do not think it's a requirement at all!

If you think your DD would enjoy it, I'd go for it!

Holli

brittone2
01-13-2006, 01:50 PM
ITA...I don't think it is a big issue. FWIW, I think Steiner actually wasn't a fan of extended breastfeeding and encouraged weaning relatively early. There are lots of parents that do extended BF in Waldorf and I'm sure many who don't, kwim? Schools vary in their "feel" I think, but as long as you feel good there and think it is a good fit, I wouldn't let a label of "AP" or "not so AP" stop you whatsoever ;)

ETA: I know most schools encourage little or no TV in families' homes, but they vary in how "strict" they are about this. So something like that may be something you want to ask about in advance just in case.

zen_bliss
01-13-2006, 09:15 PM
i know there are more waldorf mamas that can chime in here. not having an 'AP lifestyle' may not be as much a sticking point as one might think. which parts of 'AP'? we just did a trial run with a waldorf mommy & me class, and i was surprised to find that this school, and other local waldorfs, range from 'not particularly supportive' to 'anti-' on the topics of extended breastfeeding and co-sleeping, at least in theory. (which is not to say that many or even most of the families' practices meshed with that.) so i would say it depends on the specific school, but even more, be sure to look at the culture fostered by the group of families at the school.