PDA

View Full Version : Anybody a Stampin' Up Demonstrator?

Toba
01-16-2006, 12:04 AM
I'm about to drop some serious money with this company on supplies. I've been taking scrapbooking classes from this new instructor that uses a LOT of Stampin' Up stuff in her scrapbooking, and I'm in LOVE with it. I looked on eBay to see if I could find stuff cheaper (mainly the 12 packs of the hues of classic stamp pads) and they were selling (with shipping) for more than you could buy them from a demonstrator ... and consistently, this wasn't just a bidding war over one auction.

So, I got to thinking that maybe I should just become a demonstrator .... all I have to do is buy a starter kit (about $200 and the stuff you get in the kit is worth, I think, almost $500). I figure that even if I just sell the 12 packs of classic stamps in different hues (and there were plenty of other products that were selling for retail and above), I'll make a *little* extra money and keep my quota up. Plus, continue to get 20% off everything for myself (pretty much my reason for doing this).

I tried to call them to find out a little more, but they were closed already for the day. Anybody know what the quota is for a quarter? Do you HAVE to have parties (I absolutely hate that)? Or could I just gather up a few orders from eBay sales and myself (and a few friends possibly) to fill my quota for the quarter? I know that my instructor said that she never has parties because she buys so much herself that she's able to stay a demonstrator. I mean, if I got referred to a customer through the site (they have a lookup for demonstrators in your area), I wouldn't be opposed to having a party, but wouldn't go looking for one either, KWIM?

Anybody have any other info/suggestions?

~Kimberly Anne~
Noah Nevan, March 12, 2004
*the light of my life*

ellies mom
01-16-2006, 12:35 AM
Not a demonstrator but I believe the quota is $300. At least that's what it was when my friends were looking into it.

DebbieJ
01-16-2006, 12:54 AM
I was just at a party today! I'll find the info and PM or email you, or you could PM or email me.

Just a note...you may want to double check before you sign that you are actually allowed to sell on eBay. Many direct sales companies do not allow active demonstrators to do so.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

Toba
01-16-2006, 01:00 AM
That would be great ... my e-mail is bodi at comcast dot net.

I thought the same thing about eBay, but there are seriously TONS of auctions that are clearly from demonstrators on there. I will find out though. Thanks!!

~Kimberly Anne~
*the light of my life*

DebbieJ
01-16-2006, 09:01 AM
I just emailed you!

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

Toba
01-16-2006, 09:21 AM
Back 'atchya! Thanks so much!!

~Kimberly Anne~
*the light of my life*

firstbaby
01-16-2006, 10:50 AM
Former SU demo here! Their products are fantastic and the quota is reasonable - $300 in sales / quarter. They DO have a policy prohibiting demos from selling current products on ebay. Some demos do it anyway and figure they won't be caught. If SU does take notice, they can term your demo contract. A couple of my friends created stamp clubs - they get a certain # of people to commit to ordering a certain $ amount of product each month and they rotate getting the hostess benefits. This allows the demo to not have to do parties but stay active and meet quota and the friends get together once a month to craft and every few months they get free stuff as the hostess. You also will have implications though from a tax perspective as you will be selling things and SU classifies you as an independant contractor so your income would be reported on your taxes. Not too hard to keep track of, though. And you get 20% off of anything you order and you make 20% on your sales. Good luck - let us know what you decide!

On a side note, I was a demo for a few years - 4 I think? It was pretty easy to stay active - I never once had to place a $300 order in a quarter to meet quota.