PDA

View Full Version : OT: Blue and beige (adult) bedding? (update)

lmintzer
01-16-2006, 03:04 PM
Update: I dragged both kids to the mall yesterday afternoon at 4 p.m. I must have been crazy. I got to see the Charisma set I posted (at Bloomingdales, though it wasn't on a bed). It WAS really pretty, but oh those prices. I saw the set at Ethan Allen. It was pretty as well, but when I showed thed picture to dh, he wasn't so keen on all the different patterns used together. He'd have to see it in person. I also went to Restoration Hardware. That was a bit disappointing, because they didn't have all that much on display. The kids were also waning at that point. The Pottery Barn stuff is catalog only, unfortunately. I'd love to see it IRL. I think I need to decide if I want to do chocolate and blue with darker blue or even brown walls (more dramatic) or pale blue and beige with a soft tan wall or a relaxing, "spa" blue. They are both looks I like. Also, I have to figure out what's going on with duvet covers/comforters vs. coverlets. Coverlets must be a new, "in," thing. It seems some beds are displayed with both. I guess you could use the duvet in the winter and the coverlet in the spring? Some of the coverlets (PB and Restoration Hardware) are beautiful but so expensive. There's a blue with chocolate silk one at RH that's gorgeous--but for $350? Yikes.

Gosh, sorry to go on and on. This must be boring to many. I wish I wasn't so decorating impaired. I know what I like when I see it but don't really do well at piecing together from different stores, etc.

Ever since getting a Bumble Jessica diaper bag in Blue Latte, I've been really into the light blue/beige (or tan) color combo. I have been on the lookout for bedding in this color scheme and haven't come up with much I like. I made the mistake of going to Calico Corners, and they have some gorgeous fabrics in these colors. And they do custom bedding. But from the prices, it looks like it would cost well over $1000 for a set. And that's just a little over the top for me (because I'm also looking into re-doing my dining room--recovering chairs, new rug, window treatment, etc.).

Has anyone seen any bedding in these colors that they've liked? I have visions of my all white walls being painted a soft blue now : ) . We have a tray ceiling, so maybe even a two tones of blue or the blue and beige together!

Here is one set that looks nice but is a little heavier on the brown than I'd like. Though who knows. Maybe the comforter cover would be fine if I chose accent pillows, etc. with more blue.

My decorating style is--well--I don't know, lol. Maybe "transitional"? I like clean lines, not too frilly or ornate, but not super contemporary. Our bedroom set is from Room and Board--so no bedskirt needed.

TIA!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/31783.jpg

JMS
01-16-2006, 03:54 PM
This has a bit of soft green in it as well, but I think it's very good looking. PB also has a stripe duvet cover of blue and beige.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/31788.jpg

juliasmom05
01-16-2006, 04:09 PM
I was just going to post this one. Here is the striped one from PB.

http://ww1.potterybarn.com/cat/pip.cfm?src=shpcbab%7Crshop&gids=p6416&cmsrc=hero.

I decided to do something similar, but also didn't want to spend so much money. I ended up buying the porcelain blue quilt which I think is the one pictured above and painted the walls a similar color.

http://ww1.potterybarn.com/cat/pip.cfm?src=shpcbabqltsol%7Crshop&pkey=cbabqltsol&gids=p3252

I am still on the look out for sheets and pillows with brown in it to add some more color in the room, so I am interested in seeing what people recommend for you.

Hope you find something that you like.

ETA: I like the bedding set that you posted. For more blue, you could pair a solid blue duvet cover or quilt with the sheets.

It's more offwhite, than tan, but I like this one too.

http://www.restorationhardware.com/rh/catalog/product/product_suite.jsp?productId=prod1019037&navCount=3

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/31790.jpg

Marci

Mom to Julia

daisyandacorn
01-16-2006, 07:04 PM
How beautiful!
Try Restration Hardware.
Last time I was in there they had some beautiful sets in that color combo - one striped and one floral/paisley-ish one.
HTH!
Susan

edited for typo :)

JFC
01-16-2006, 10:01 PM
Last week Ethan Allen sent us an advertisment that had the prettiest bedding in those colors... I couldn't find it online, but the line is called "tanchoi" and there is a throw called "mineral stripe" that coordinates.

HTH!

ETA: Okay, I found it...
http://www.ethanallen.com/ea/com.ethanallen.ecom.FrameDirectorServlet?top=1&body=1

smallestangel
01-16-2006, 10:08 PM
Lisa,

I love the set you posted! Where is it from? We need a new set badly. Actually we need an entire bedroom makeover. Since we moved I've done every room except ours. It's been sorely neglected.

Your style sounds a lot like mine.

Thanks

Amanda

mattysmom
01-17-2006, 08:24 AM
There's not as much beige in this set, but this is what we have:
http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=1290&f=4363&viewall=1

we use cream sheets and our walls are a little darker taupe.

C+B has a couple others that you might check out too.
Have fun shopping!

alexsmommy
01-17-2006, 09:06 AM
Tee, hee, hee. I love that someone else is having bedroom angst. No help here - but I'll be in RH today - I'll see what looks good IRL. I actually love the set you posted - especially with blue walls.
Alaina
Alex 2-4-03

Calmegja2
01-17-2006, 09:44 AM
That's my color scheme. I have aqua, brown, white and gold bedding, chocolate and latte walls in the master, and I painted the master bath aqua.

It took me 18 months to find the bedding that I truly wanted. I ordered and returned about 6 bedding sets, I think.

I ended up, on a whim, finding a blue coverlet at Marshall's, with matching shams, and then I found coordinating silk pillows online from Rodeo Home ( I'd never heard of them before, but they have a lot of that color combination). I bought all white underthings (white comforter, white ruffle, white shams).

I love it, but it was hard to find just the right shades for me.

So I guess, what I'm saying, in my longwinded way, is that if the traditional spots fail you, you might want to glance around Marshall's and TJMaxx, places like that. I was really surprised at how little I ended up spending, total, but I most definitely got the look I wanted. And my DH was relieved that we were no longer playing bedroom set bingo. ;-)

lmintzer
01-17-2006, 12:23 PM
(I tried to post this a few hours ago, but it doesn't look like it went through . . . so trying again.)

Amanda,
It's called "Floriane" by Charisma. I know it's sold at Bloomingdales--not sure where else. I haven't seen it IRL but I'd love to take a look. It's pricey, though. $350 for the queen duvet cover. Wow!

Here's the link:
http://www1.bloomingdales.com/catalog/product/attr.ognc

Alaina,
LOL! We are having similar decorating questions. I am struggling with my dining room too. It's too bad we're not in the same place anymore. We could do consults for each other. : )

Jacquelyn, Marci, Jess, Susan, and mattysmom--thanks! I'll definitely check out Restoration Hardware, Pottery Barn, Crate and Barrel, and Ethan Allen. That "Tanchoi" looks really pretty on line, but the pix are so small! All of these stores are all at the mall not too far from me. Hey, Jacquelyn--want to go to KOP, lol? : )

Jessica, it's so funny. You and I must have similar tastes (remember the living room couch thing?) You are really meticulous, too, which is so like me (at least in my pre-kid life). Want to come do my house for me? You'd have a ball--all white walls.

lmintzer
01-17-2006, 06:55 PM
So, Alaina, did you make it to RH? Did you see anything?

Jeanne
01-19-2006, 03:16 PM
Lisa,
I have a Pottery Barn duvet cover and love it. The quality is wonderful and worth every penny. But it is a winter duvet for us. I have a coverlet for summer in coordinating colors. So basically, I have two styles for the room - one for warm weather, one for cold.

I was going to suggest that you look in Marshall’s, Home Goods, or TJ Maxx for the coverlet. You can pick up a solid spa/ice blue coverlet for about $100 or less. Then just pick up coordinating pieces for the rest.

I went 4 years without proper bedding because I could not find what I wanted. Once I found it, I splurged because I knew I'd never be happy if I didn't.

Just to give you an example of what I did:
Winter Duvet is a Pottery Barn Large Floral Print on a tan linen background. Flowers are moss green, cranberry, steel blue, and rose. 2 pillow shams to match from PB plus one in solid silk cranberry color (TJ Maxx). Sheets are coordinating striped Ralph Lauren (Marshall’s), Dust Ruffle is moss green (Home Goods).
Curtains panels are velvet moss green (Spiegel). Valances are coordinating fabric from Calico Corners and made by me.

Summer Coverlet is Ice Blue background with same color of florals from winter PB cover (Marshall’s). Two matching pillow shams found at TJ Maxx. Sheets are cream and ice blue striped (TJ Maxx). I use the same dust ruffle as winter. Curtain panels are ivory silk with cranberry flowers strung on fishing line to cascade down and give a hint of color. The top valances are the same pattern of the coverlet because I bought two and cut the one up to make them.

So my color scheme is the same but I swap out all the fabrics to change the look. My walls are stripped with a light taupe brown and cream. The carpet is a light taupe.

Sorry for the convoluted post. I'm limited on time. HTH!
Oh and incidentally, TJ Maxx, Marshall’s, and Home Goods are all owned by TJX so if you find something in one of those, you can try the other stores to fill in. I was able to procure all the summer stuff at 3 different stores.

alexsmommy
01-19-2006, 09:34 PM
Sorry - just now seeing this...like you, I thought what they had was disappointing compared to the PB set. Not to mention the prices there were outragous. A 250 thread count set of pillow cases was $79. I mean, fine for 600 thread count but 250? I grabbed my latte paint and ran before I spent the whole bedroom redo budget on sheets. I agree, the "in" thing is coverlets with duvets. Unless I find the worlds cheapest duvet, I will not be in - even with the discount I spent way too much money on just the quilt/coverlet.
Alaina
Alex 2-4-03

alexsmommy
01-19-2006, 09:41 PM
Umm, Jeanne, can you come to my house and help?
Seriously though, you just validated my thinking - I went with a lighter wall color and the cheaper option on curtains with my thinking being, I can swap out the garnet red/chocolate brown coverlet with another more summery color/chocolate brown one this spring and buy another set of curtains and have two looks without having to change my accent pieces. Now I just have to find my dust ruffle - oh and because of your post I am now checking Spiegels for curtains.... Thanks - I didn't find the post convuluted at all.
Alaina
Alex 2-4-03

Jeanne
01-20-2006, 10:48 AM
That's great Alaina!
I think it's totally worth the little bit of work it takes to swap things out when the weather changes. I cover and hang the curtain up in my closet so I don't have to iron them. It really makes the room feel different and doesn't give me the guilts. Incidentally, I have also had good luck finding curtains on sale at JCPenney and Value City.

Previous to living in this house, I spent a FORTUNE on a complete set and several matching sheets that I made into curtains for every thing to match perfectly. By the time the room was done, it was close to magazine beautiful. Trouble was, I was sick of it after three years but I made myself live with it for another 3 years because it was so expensive that I couldn't justify a new set.

Now I feel like that little PKB splurge was worth it because everything else was reasonable. I love the look now and it doesn't require me to change anything else!

Happy Shopping!

kozachka
01-20-2006, 05:58 PM
When I found out how much DH, at the time my new boyfriend, spent on his beautiful bedding I though he was out of his mind. He bought two sets (two sheets, pillow cases and duvet cover), one by Calvin Klein and one by Ralph Lauren at full retail from Marshall Fields in Chicago. Almost 10 years later, I can say that it was a good investment. Calvin Klein set got worn to holes couple years ago but RL is still going strong. We can't use the fitted sheet anymore, it's too thin in the middle but the flat sheet works in its place just fine. And we've used these two sets 80% of the time, or more, for the first 7 years because of how nice they are. I've got another RL duvet cover on e-bay for $60, matching pillow cases from RL outlet for another $30-$35 and coordinting RL fitted sheet from Marshalls or Ross for maybe $15. They don't have enormous thread count (250 or 300) but they are satin and great to sleep on. Guess this is my way of saying, don't settle and keep looking for a cheaper way of getting what you want and if absolutely love it and know that you'll get a lot of wear out of it, go ahead and indulge.

lmintzer
01-20-2006, 06:51 PM
I currently have a Calvin Klein set (it's about 4 years old), and it's in terrible shape. Actually, the comforter and blanket are fine, but the sheets and pillow cases are ripping. I was suprised by this, given that they are not cheap!

I found out that the PB stores do have the striped set in the stores. So I may go in to look at that. Given that it's silk (or at least part-silk), it seems like a relatively good deal, esp. next to Restoration Hardware. I'm intrigued by some of the stuff from the new Room and Board catalog. They have a neat duvet cover in pale blue with some texture in the form of embroidery called "Rain". They combine it with a chocolate brown quilt. It's a nice combo. However, to me it's a bit backward. You'd probably use the duvet cover (pale blue--more "spring-y" in the winter) and then the quilt (chocolate brown) in the summer. I can't imagine just having dark brown on my bed in the summer--seems awfully dark. I don't know -- then again, the PB stripe set would be very light for winter. Sorry. I won't post about this any more. I feel like I'm wasting valuable board space/time.

nd93
01-20-2006, 09:15 PM
This is blue backed with chocolate, at Restoration Hardware

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/31889.jpg

ETA - Just read your update and saw that you saw this one. Sorry!

lmintzer
01-20-2006, 10:28 PM
I did see that one, thanks. It's beautiful, but oh so expensive!