PDA

View Full Version : Reformatting my computer, what to backup???

searchdog
01-16-2006, 03:47 PM
I am going to reformat my computer because it has way to much "stuff" on it. I just had DH put an extra 20GB hard drive into my computer so that I could start to use it as my "data drive" so that anything I want to be able to keep can just go on that drive so if I ever decide to reformat again it will all be safe on that seperate drive. So anyway I am trying to think of the things I need to backup and I am afraid I have for gotten something. Here is what I have done so far:

All Word, Excel Documents
My web bookmarks
Quicken
Music
Pictures

So is there anything else that I am missing. My email is all web based so I don't need to back it up. I think I am ready for the reformat at this point but am scared to do it in case something isn't backed up. I have done it before but not in several years!

kellyotn
01-16-2006, 05:00 PM
What I do when I am pondering a re-format, is I write down my list for the backup like you did. Then, I spend another week with the re-format in the back of my mind while I'm on the computer. Something else usually comes to mind. Do a search for file types and make sure that all of your pix, music, etc. are indeed stored where you think they are. Picasa has a nice backup utility that will find pix anywhere on your c: drive.

I also go thru the computer's Start Menu and write down each and every program on the machine, so I can easily get them all on at once vs. waiting until I need to use Picasa or until I need Acrobat to open a .pdf. When reinstalling hardware (scanners, printers, etc.), I go to the manufacturers website to get the latest version vs. just using the CD.

Last thing I do is to go through Windows Explorer and make sure nothing jumps out. I try and be diligent about keeping everything in the My Documents folder, but sometimes things just don't end up where they should or a program stores your settings in an odd place.

Good luck!

bostonsmama
01-16-2006, 06:42 PM
When we sent our laptop in for repairs, we had to backup all our files (and programs!!) in case Toshiba had to replace our whole motherboard during a repair. We were fortunate to have Norton Ghost Writer and DVD burner to copy our entire hard drive onto 2 DVDs...it took everything: the pictures, the documents, the music, the programs, all our settings, wallpaper, favorites lists, my contacts-my email is MS Outlook, so a little different, and more. I was so happy b/c I didn't have the opportunity to forget anything since it backed up everything....and they did replace one of our drives, although they restored our files for us. I don't know how much it costs since we got it with Norton System Works ($70-100 in all), but they do sell it separately OTC.

HTH!

Larissa
***Cheers! Here's to better luck in 2006!***

"Children have never been very good at listening to their elders, but they have never failed to imitate them."
-James Baldwin

searchdog
01-16-2006, 07:09 PM
I still have 2005 System Works sitting in the box, I never installed it. I guess now would be the time to do it. LOL We have a DVD burner in the computer upstairs so I will have to have DH do that tonight so that I can go ahead with my reformat and get all this Cr*p off of my computer and speed it back up, it is just bogged down!!