PDA

View Full Version : registry for 2nd baby?

nyc_mom
01-16-2006, 05:05 PM
okay, need some advice. is it considered in bad taste or "not right" to register for your 2nd baby? There will be 20 months between DD#1 and new baby and there's some stuff that i'm going to need duplicate (e.g. crib mobile, diaper dekor, crib sheets) since DD has not grown out of it. I just thought it would be a help to family and friends who wanted to purchase a gift. what do you guys think?

nyc_mom
http://b2.lilypie.com/yVa8m5/.png

http://bd.lilypie.com/HiJNm5/.png

jd11365
01-16-2006, 05:15 PM
I think it's in bad taste, but that's just me. If your family wants to get something for you, I'd assume they'd ask if there was anything in particular that you needed. JMO.

octmom
01-16-2006, 05:29 PM
I agree with Jamie.

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
expecting #2! EDD April 1, 2006, but anticipating a C/S in March: IT'S A GIRL!!! :)

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

BeachBum
01-16-2006, 05:36 PM
Ditto.

Momof3Labs
01-16-2006, 05:36 PM
ITA with Jamie.

nd93
01-16-2006, 05:39 PM
I agree with the others.

psophia17
01-16-2006, 05:48 PM
I don't plan to bother registering for #2 - I'll be using the same sheets, diaper pail, and mobile that I used then, and if it's not something that can be shared, if I haven't weaned DS off of it already, I will have done so by then.

I'll need mostly small things, and a couple of large things - if anyone asks what I need/want, I'll say "I'm saving up for a glider-rocker, and I also need onesies/socks/whatever." I found that no one used the baby registry, anyhow.

ellies mom
01-16-2006, 06:16 PM
You know it really depends. I don't think you should go out and have a full blown registry but it wouldn't hurt to have a few items preferably in the $20-40 price range on a registry. My reason for suggesting this is because as a "wife" sometimes I have to buy things for people my husband works with. I don't know these people and like a lot of men, he can be plain useless in giving any information to make the purchase easier. So, I love to see a registry. That way I can make sure to get a gift that I know they will like.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
01-16-2006, 06:37 PM
Wait til someone asks and then give them an idea. Bad taste to register again, especially so close together.

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 ETA 05-22-06

jk3
01-16-2006, 06:52 PM
If you are from NYC, it's probably not in bad taste. All of my city friends + even some of my friends in the 'burbs registered for #2 and #3. The lists were limited but they definitely registered.

Jenn
DS 6/3/03

daisyandacorn
01-16-2006, 07:09 PM
I wouldn't do it.

barbarhow
01-16-2006, 07:53 PM
I'll be the dissenting vote here. I registered for my 2nd shower. A bunch of people suggested that I should so I did. It made it easy for the few people who wanted to buy a gift that way. And it was really nice for me to get some things that I really needed/wanted. Go for it and have fun doing it.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

MelissaTC
01-16-2006, 07:53 PM
I agree with Jenn and Veronica. A small registry would be helpful, especially if the baby is the opposite sex of the first. Most of my friends have and they have all done low key places like Target.

octmom
01-16-2006, 07:56 PM
Several of your have given me food for thought. I hadn't considered it being helpful for those who may not know the mother-to-be well and for second showers. It does make sense for those scenarios, but I agree with keeping it simple. Thanks for making me look at this in a different way.

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
expecting #2! EDD April 1, 2006, but anticipating a C/S in March: IT'S A GIRL!!! :)

octmom
Oops! Double post. Sorry!

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

octmom
Yikes! Sorry for the duplicate posts.

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

o_mom
01-16-2006, 08:12 PM
You might consider registering just for the "fringe benefits". I know that Target had a Saturn Test drive coupon in the packet last time I registered where you could get a $50 gift card for test driving a Saturn. I think Pottery Barn will give you a discount on registry items after the baby is born. Not sure if BRU does anything similar.

mommyj_2
01-16-2006, 08:40 PM
My cousin registered for gifts for her 4th baby, and I was glad she did. It let me buy something I knew she would like. I wouldn't have had any idea what she needed otherwise.
I would register, but only let people know you're registered if they ask what you want.

bunnisa
01-16-2006, 09:12 PM
I won't register (except to get the Target coupons) but I do maintain an Amazon wishlist for the new baby. It's available by invite only, but I really only use it as a reminder for me.

Recently, SIL asked to see it.

A wishlist might be a good compromise - you could set it up and if anyone asks for specific ideas, refer them to it.

Bethany
mom to one and one on the way!
http://lilypie.com/days/060226/0/8/1/-6/.png
"And children are always a good thing, devoutly to be wished for and fiercely to be fought for."
-J. Torres

kellyotn
01-16-2006, 09:45 PM
I think it probably differs from region to region. Additionally, it probably differs from one group of people to the next. In MY area, with MY friends and family - its not done. Maybe if there is a huge time gap, otherwise, no. People might ask straight up what a mom to be needs, but that's it. But, I definitely know other friends who live elsewhere who think its totally necessary for each baby.

If it is "done" in your area among your crowd, a very small and sensible registry wouldn't annoy most and would likely be appreciated by some. :)

JBaxter
01-16-2006, 10:13 PM
I dont see a problem with a second registry. I give baby gifts to lots of relatives and it helps if they have a registry or wish list. All of DH's family is on the west coast and we are on the east its nice to know they are getting something they want/need rather than an item they have several of. Things like extra crib sheets or a second pail I would never think of but would gladly purchase. In our family it saves alot of phone calls about "what do you need".

KBecks
01-16-2006, 10:13 PM
I wouldn't register for #2, as I'm not expecting any gifts. Second showers are not done around here that I know of.

However, if you want to create a small registry, you can, and then just don't tell anyone about it, unless they ask if you need anything. Then you can say, we're pretty much covered, but I've got a few things on a list at Target (or wherever).

For #2, if we get gifts, I'm anticipating clothes, ESPECIALLY if the baby is a girl!

Side note, I think the crib mobile should come down from baby #1, I heard you're supposed to take it down quite early so it's not a safety hazard.

nyc_mom
01-17-2006, 08:01 AM
Thanks for the all the advice. I was only planning on having a pretty short list and offering to anyone who asked, as a convenience. I'm not having a shower or anything like that, but we do have a lot of relatives who live a distance away and will want to buy the new baby something. It's almost harder that the kids will be closer together because i'm still going to be using so much stuff with DD that I'd normally pass on to the next baby.

nyc_mom

proggoddess
01-17-2006, 08:52 AM
I think it is fine to register, but I don't think it is fine to have another shower, or to expect people to give you gifts for #2 and beyond. If they ask, then you point them to the registry. I don't see how answering their question of "what to buy" is bad.

I plan on putting a few things up at BRU.com for my #2, but I don't think anyone will be asking me what I want as a gift.

daisymommy
01-17-2006, 09:30 AM
I really think it depends on where you live and who your circle of friends are.

In my area, it's incredibly common to have a baby shower for each and every baby. Our motto in my circle of 100 or so friends from church is "every baby is cause for celebration!" So even for my friends who have 4-5 kids, we still do a shower for each one.

And each time there is a baby shower, we tell the moms "now make sure you go register so we know what you need!".

At my local BRU (where I just registered)--there were little check-boxes on the form for "is this your first, second, third, etc. baby". The two ladies sitting next to me when I was there were registering for their second or third babe.

So I really think it's all in where you live :)

hautemama15
01-17-2006, 09:41 AM
I think every baby should have a celebration regardless, but that just me. I know when I had my second, my mom and my grandma told me no baby shower and I did not have one. Even though I needed alot of things since I was having a boy and #1 was a girl, I needed a double stroller, another crib, since they were only 18 months apart. But, I did not have a shower. My parents and grandparents pitched in to help me out (I was in the middle of divorcing my ex).

I think its fine to register whether you have a big shower or not. Friends may want to get you something anyway to celebrate. Basics and things like a double stroller are fine. Are you having another girl?? You could use lots of the same newborn clothing if you are. If not, you will need some new things. I wouldn't put pink on a boy unless he asked me to! :)

CiderLogan
01-17-2006, 03:15 PM
We are registering for our second (another girl, even). We are doing this because we know there is going to be at least one shower (we are also in the type of crowd that says "every baby needs a celebration") and because others will want to buy us something for the new baby. Rather than get a million stuffed animals, figurines, and pink dresses, I'd prefer to have some of the things we need (diapers, new pacifiers, breast milk storage bags, double monitor, new washcloths, etc.). I figure if someone wants to use the registry, it's there for them. If they don't want to (and if they think it's rude that we made one), then they will never have to see it. I would probably think differently if I didn't already know we were having a shower, but knowing that, I think it is ok. But I agree that it really depends on your family/friends and what they usually do.

Jenny
Mom to Julia, 8/03
...and another GIRL due 5/29/06!

KrisM
01-17-2006, 03:26 PM
I agree with those who say it depends on where you are and what is common. Here, I don't know of anyone who has registered for a 2nd baby, unless that baby is years younger than others. My friend is pregnant and her next youngest is 6.5.

But, I am working on a list, as I think of things, that I will have handy in case anyone asks. I'm finding that more helpful anyway, because I have things like the Miracle Blanket on it and this way I'm not limited to 1 or 2 stores.

ribbit1019
01-17-2006, 04:28 PM
I have one, it has about 20 things on it that we need for the nursery that DD will be taking to her new room. No one has asked for it though, and I am not openly mentioning it. No second shower here either.

It is more like PP said, a check list of things for me to purchase. Though a lot of the stuff I need doesn't exist at BRU. :)

Christy
Maddy born 6/09/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png

Little Man due 3/02/06
http://bd.lilypie.com/cKLom4/.png
Co-Owner Ribbit Baby

"I did then what I knew how to do. When you know better, you do better." ~ Maya Angelou

Oregonmother
01-17-2006, 04:49 PM
I registered and was given a shower for my 2nd baby. My DC will be about 29 months apart and a different sexes. This is the norm where I live. I registered at Target, and received almost all the items on my registry. I think people liked having the registry to choose from, cause they didn't know what I already had. Since I'm having a girl this time, I also received a lot of clothes. I did keep my shower to about 20 really close friends though.

nyc_mom
01-17-2006, 05:06 PM
The mobile part is not up. Just the music box from the mobile.

nyc_mom

kelly ann
01-17-2006, 10:48 PM
The few new items I wanted for baby #2 could not be put on a registry (miracle blanket, obscure double stroller, slings, etc.) Also, I found that even though the baby was a different sex, most of the newborn stuff could be used for the new baby.

Since you only mentioned a handful of items (such as the crib mobile, diaper dekor, crib sheets), I would not create a registry. Just buy those items with gift cards you receive or mention those items to people if they ask you. However, if you find a lot of people keep asking you what you want or ask where you are registered, then go ahead and create a registry. Or just keep telling people to buy you diapers - you can never have too many :)