PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE! I now own some...Hip jeans that don't show your posterior...

Dcclerk
01-16-2006, 07:45 PM
ETA: UPDATE

In case anyone cares in the slightest, and for any future searches that anyone does, I figured I would give an update for the women in our little community that might also have a larger-than-average backside. I bought a couple of pairs of jeans and tried on roughly a billion others. In the end, I bought...

1) David Kahn. Ladies, these things are brilliant. I don't know how, but they manage to look hip and yet fit properly. The denim is the fabulous stuff that doesn't bag out ever and always keeps their shape. Had I found these first, I wouldn't have bought any other brand. Love these. A friend talked to a boutique owner who said this is all he carries now in denim because they fit everyone well. Somehow I believe that. They are classic yet hip.

2) Meli Melo. Quite cute with a funky detail on the back pockets. Still needs a little hiking if I'm going to play on the floor, but not bad at all relative to everything else. Very cute denim, and nice in that it isn't of the everyone-has-it genre.

3) www.layersclothing.com I decided to get a few really long shirts to help the gap issue with my other jeans. I love this website. Their stuff is great fitting and they have great customer service. Checkout their crochet long shirt. It is probably the cutest shirt that I own now. I can't recommend them enough. If you get the tanks, size up though. (e.g., I normally wear a medium, but like a large for the tanks.)

Thanks for all of your help!

OK, how embarrassing is this... my MOTHER just informed me she could see my underwear and that she was going to buy me new jeans, price is no object, so that she doesn't have to see that again :o!

Well, quite frankly, I'm going to take her up on that offer, because I'm not thrilled with the fact that I am apparently flashing others, either. But I refuse to wear "mom jeans", so I need help. Can anyone name some cute jeans like Sevens, Angel, Paper Denim, True Religion, etc., that have a relatively high rise in the back, so that crackage is not an issue?

TIA!

DebbieJ
01-16-2006, 08:29 PM
Oprah did a jean show a while back and the Theory Tess trouser jean was one recommended to combat this problem.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

DebbieJ
01-16-2006, 08:29 PM
double. sorry.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

Pennylane
01-16-2006, 09:14 PM
I LOVE Lucky jeans! They are high priced, around 98.00 to 150.00 but fit great and don't show my underwear everytime I bend down. I would never have gone into the store, but I saw another mom about my size (size 8, or 29 in that store) with them on and they were so figure flattering.

I also really like Eddie Bauer and J.Jill jeans. More reasonably priced and fit well.

Good luck,

Ann

Twin Mom
01-16-2006, 11:26 PM
I know that Joe's Jeans makes a higher low cut jean (if that makes sense) b/c I bought a pair a few weeks ago at Loehmanns. They were $69.99 but I had some coupons!

rupptopia
01-17-2006, 02:15 AM
I agree with the suggestion of Joe's Jeans. The "Muse" style isn't quite as low cut as others, although still low enough to be hip. They are cut higher in the back. They are pretty pricey though, about $160 at Nordstrom - but if she's buying?!

I like them so much I have 2 pair! The 1st pair were my congratulations I got the baby weight off present to myself. . .

Hope you find a cool pair!

ellies mom
01-17-2006, 03:22 AM
Eddie Bauer do seem to be higher in the back. And comfortable, man are they comfortable.

jesseandgrace
03-03-2006, 08:50 PM
I hear ya, I'm sporting some crack right now in mt True Religions, LOL. I love the low rise jeans, but its hard to be hiking all the time. I have a pair of 2001 Sevens that aren't that low, and a pretty good pair of Rock & Republic jeans, but I think I will look the ones you mentioned up! I also have the Melo Melio or whatever it is, but they are a summer style, but they don't show anything off at all, they fit pretty well. Interestingly enough Target makes a very stylish pair that fits incredibly well and looks like the $200 + jeans!

calebsmama03
03-06-2006, 12:09 AM
Which target pair is this???
Lynne
Mommy to C 3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
And Miss Purple, 5/05

mamamayi
03-06-2006, 12:53 AM
I always have a problem finding jeans that fit my slightly larger backside. For me, price IS an issue. I found some jeans that are made out of a slightly stretchy denim and they are low cut, but don't show your underwear. I paid around $25.00 for them. The brand is "Aura" made by Wrangler. I bought them at a western store, but here's a website that you can order them from or at least just look at them. Mine have a nice embroidery pattern on the back pockets. I don't know how trendy they are compared to the other brands mentioned, but they do fit great!

http://www.denimexpress.com/aura-jeans-wu0341bp.html

May

karolyp
03-06-2006, 07:47 AM
Their stuff looks so cute, and I just love the layers look!!! I think I might order a few things, but have a few questions and wanted to ask you first... What are the shirts made out of? Are they pretty strechy? How did they handle the washer/dryer? How's their sizing?

TIA!!!

mamicka
03-06-2006, 11:14 AM
I'd love to try both of these brands but I've only ever seen them online. Who carries them IRL?

Allison

jesseandgrace
03-06-2006, 11:38 AM
I don't know the style, but they have a medium to darkish wash, and they are the Mossimo brand. The ones I have have studded pockets that are subtle but cool. I can't get ove rhow well they fit, better than my $100+ jeans, I bought 3 pairs. I've had people compliment them too.

bunnisa
03-06-2006, 01:46 PM
>3) www.layersclothing.com I decided to get a few really long
>shirts to help the gap issue with my other jeans. I love this
>website. Their stuff is great fitting and they have great
>customer service. Checkout their crochet long shirt. It is
>probably the cutest shirt that I own now. I can't recommend
>them enough. If you get the tanks, size up though. (e.g., I
>normally wear a medium, but like a large for the tanks.)

I LOVE the crochet shirt! So flattering.

Would you tell me how opaque the shirts are? Do I need a shirt underneath? Some of the photos make the shirts appear quite transparent.

hellosmiletoday
03-06-2006, 02:07 PM
I really like the Nordstrom "store" brand classiques entier. I have a pair in petites, dark rinse (with a bit of green and a slight fade), no tears or wrinkles. I've gotten compliments on the jeans. I looked everywhere for jeans and ended up there....they aren't cheap -- $100.

BTW, I really dont think it matters what your size it...most low rise jeans seem to have this problem (and becomes especially noticable once you have toddlers! The Nordstrom ones are my only pair that are "trendy", low rise, but I can still be relatively comfortable in. They have a bit of stretch for comfort, but dont get baggy after a day of wearing like other brands I own (esepcially gap ones).

Warning, normally petite jeans are just right or a bit short on me (I wear regular at Gap). These jeans are pretty long. I can only wear them with heels. The have shrunk about 1/2 inch in length though. (but not in width).

I think this link is the one I have. IRL, they seem darker and more flared at the bottom...(i.e. they look better!)
http://store.nordstrom.com/product/product_brandboutique.asp?styleid=2880186&boutique=classiques_entier&category=2376776~2374325~2379092~2381473&NextStyleID=2880188&PrevStyleID=2880179
HTHs!
Mommy to baby girl 5/04

Dcclerk
03-06-2006, 02:11 PM
OK, I just grabbed a couple of my shirts to check the fabric content. The long sleeve shirts are 92% viscose and 8% spandex. They are incredibly soft. I would say they are pretty true-to-size. I wear a 6-8 and I have a medium long-sleeve shirt and a small crochet shirt and they both fit well. They are very stretchy, but fitted. So far, no pilling or anything, but I have a paranoia about my favorite shirts getting mishapen, so I tend to just dry on low or hang dry.

The camisoles are made of 62% cotton 30% polyester and 8% spandex. According to a message I received from someone at Layers, they changed their fabric (I don't know if it is just for the camisoles or not), and they are fitting tighter. I think that these are a little snug and less stretchy. They are still pretty stretchy, but the others are VERY stretchy. I ended up going up to a large in the camisoles, because, again, my derriere is not particularly petite. If not for the bountiful backside, the mediums would have been fine.

Dcclerk
03-06-2006, 02:11 PM
Darn it. My first double post.

Dcclerk
03-06-2006, 02:21 PM
I have the brown crochet shirt and I don't need anything under it, nor do I need anything under my slate shirt. But my white shirt is somewhat sheer, so that I would. I tend to use the white shirt under a short sleeve shirt, though, so it is more like an undershirt for me.

Dcclerk
03-06-2006, 02:41 PM
I wish I could be more help. I found the Meli Melo ones at a jeans party (you know those little traveling apparel things that set up camp at a warehouse or someone's house for a day or 2 and then move on), and the David Kahn ones I actually bought online after my friend SWORE they would work (she works for In-Style and they just did a denim event, so I trusted her a little more than the average bear). I have seen David Kahn on Nordstrom.com, so I would imagine that some Nordstroms would carry them, but I've never seen them at my less-than-stellar one. The only other place that I have seen them have been at local boutiques.

Dcclerk
03-06-2006, 02:42 PM
Thanks, May! I appreciate it :)

Sandy
03-06-2006, 05:00 PM
I love true religion jeans but couldn't stand my underwear showing. My new favorite pair of jeans is the Levi's 542. They are low rise in the front and higher in the back and a lot more affordable at $44.00 (and less if you find them on sale). I get compliments everytime I wear them and Levi's also makes them in petites and plus sizes. I wear these everyday with my shade shirts. I have been really thinking about ordering some of the layers shirts to try and this had just pushed me over the edge so off to order some.

http://www.us.levi.com/lsco/levi/prod/l_prod.jsp

Sandy mom to Alexander Thor 3/16/02
& Marisa Mia 4/23/05

JenfromWI
03-07-2006, 08:17 AM
Thanks so much for sharing your finds! I just ordered a cami and henley from Layers and am looking forward to receiving them. Oh- and I also appreciated the jeans tips from everyone. I need a new pair or two and will tackle that project one of these days.

calebsmama03
03-07-2006, 10:26 AM
I'll have to check it out! These were in the store - not the "custom" ones on the website, I assume?
Lynne
Mommy to C 3/03
And Miss Purple, 5/05

mamicka
03-07-2006, 11:04 AM
I bought a pair of Mossimo jeans a few months ago & they didn't last very long - ripped knee & a couple belt loops ripped off.

I'll give them another shot, though. I'm not in any position to spend $100+ on a pair of jeans. At least not in my current size :(.

Allison

karolyp
03-07-2006, 11:10 AM
When you mention shade shirt, I'm assuming you mean the shirts from shadeclothing.com, right?

Anyhow, you'll have to let me know which brand or shirt, layers or shade, you liked the best. I soooo want to order some of these strechy shirts but I am hesitating. Buying clothes online is hard!!!!

Sandy
03-07-2006, 12:28 PM
I will post a comparsion review once I get my Layers shirts. I will tell you however that I absolutely love, love, love my shade shirts. Since I got them it is all I ever wear anymore. I wish they made the long sleeve raglan in more colors. I would not hesitate to order the shade shirts. They are one of the best things I have ever ordered online.

HTH,
Sandy mom to Alexander Thor 3/16/02
& Marisa Mia 4/23/05

spanannie
03-07-2006, 12:35 PM
My little Nordstrom has David Kahn jean capris in several colors right now...they are around $150 each though. They are very cute, but I thought the pockets looked too high on the rear for me.

hellosmiletoday
03-07-2006, 04:40 PM
Would either of these two brands work for petites? (Although I guess it doesnt matter since they are supposed to be long?) How fitted would they be...could you wear under a ribbed sweater or even just a t-shirt?

Are there any similar brands IRL?
Mommy to baby girl 5/04

hellosmiletoday
03-07-2006, 04:40 PM
Would either of these two brands work for petites? (Although I guess it doesnt matter since they are supposed to be long?) How fitted would they be...could you wear under a ribbed sweater or even just a t-shirt?

Are there any similar brands IRL?
Mommy to baby girl 5/04

daniele_ut
03-07-2006, 04:49 PM
>When you mention shade shirt, I'm assuming you mean the
>shirts from shadeclothing.com, right?
>
>Anyhow, you'll have to let me know which brand or shirt,
>layers or shade, you liked the best. I soooo want to order
>some of these strechy shirts but I am hesitating. Buying
>clothes online is hard!!!!

I have 6 of the shadeclothing.com tops and I *really* like them a lot. I have 2 camis, 2 s/s and 2 l/s. Costco here in Utah (where Shade and Layers are both located) was selling 2 packs of the Shade tops for $19.99 for camis and $22.99 for l/s so I stocked up right around Christmas. They have the baby tees right now and am probably going to pick up 2 of those as well. I wear these all the time now and have a cami on right now under sweater that got just a little too short in the wash. I wash them all on cold and hang to dry.

I have heard great things about the Layers tops as well. A good friend has some of both and she says that she prefers the Layers to Shade, but I couldn't pass up the Costco deal.

daniele_ut
03-07-2006, 04:49 PM
>When you mention shade shirt, I'm assuming you mean the
>shirts from shadeclothing.com, right?
>
>Anyhow, you'll have to let me know which brand or shirt,
>layers or shade, you liked the best. I soooo want to order
>some of these strechy shirts but I am hesitating. Buying
>clothes online is hard!!!!

I have 6 of the shadeclothing.com tops and I *really* like them a lot. I have 2 camis, 2 s/s and 2 l/s. Costco here in Utah (where Shade and Layers are both located) was selling 2 packs of the Shade tops for $19.99 for camis and $22.99 for l/s so I stocked up right around Christmas. They have the baby tees right now and am probably going to pick up 2 of those as well. I wear these all the time now and have a cami on right now under sweater that got just a little too short in the wash. I wash them all on cold and hang to dry.

I have heard great things about the Layers tops as well. A good friend has some of both and she says that she prefers the Layers to Shade, but I couldn't pass up the Costco deal.

jesseandgrace
03-07-2006, 04:59 PM
Yup, in the store. They were folded in a case with jeans, not the hanging stuff that changes all the time.

jesseandgrace
03-07-2006, 04:59 PM
Yup, in the store. They were folded in a case with jeans, not the hanging stuff that changes all the time.

jesseandgrace
03-07-2006, 05:12 PM
Another thing I love that is dirt cheap is the longer length tank tops from old navy. I got 3 last summer, they still have them listed on the website so hopefully they will have them this spring/summer. They are long but slim fitting, and thin. They look great on, and they cover way past really low riders like True Religion jeans, and now that some of my shirts from last year are too big, I wear one of these under them, and then it just gives sort of a cool layered look with a baggier shirt on top, so when the bigger shirt slides on the shoulders it looks cute (hopefully) with the tank under them, instead of just big. I wear them under everything from regular shirts to sweaters.

jesseandgrace
03-07-2006, 05:12 PM
Another thing I love that is dirt cheap is the longer length tank tops from old navy. I got 3 last summer, they still have them listed on the website so hopefully they will have them this spring/summer. They are long but slim fitting, and thin. They look great on, and they cover way past really low riders like True Religion jeans, and now that some of my shirts from last year are too big, I wear one of these under them, and then it just gives sort of a cool layered look with a baggier shirt on top, so when the bigger shirt slides on the shoulders it looks cute (hopefully) with the tank under them, instead of just big. I wear them under everything from regular shirts to sweaters.

skohng
03-25-2006, 10:49 PM
do either of these companies offer a co-op?

calebsmama03
03-26-2006, 10:40 AM
check th co-op forum ;)
Lynne
Mommy to C 3/03
And Miss Purple, 5/05