PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about this name...

juliekost
01-16-2006, 08:00 PM
Hi
I only post once in a while but I would love so imput on this...My dh has always wanted all the kids names to start with J so we can be the J family...it is annoying but I am fine with it since it really hasn't been an issue since I had a few J names picked out.

We just found out we are having a girl and are trying to get a list of names together. I love Genevieve but of course it isn't spelled with a J. I have looked for other spellings of it and found Jenevieve and Jenavieve which works phonetically. They are very non traditional spellings, is it too unusual? Will people be able to pronounce it?

Thanks for your imput!

Julie

Jake 11/9/98
Jordyn 12/31/02
Baby J due in 6/06

jamsmu
01-16-2006, 08:02 PM
I say go for it. These days, everyone seems to enjoy being original--I always wished there were original ways to spell Julie (a friend spells her's Giulia, which is pretty cool.)

DDowning
01-16-2006, 08:08 PM
I find people will butcher names even if they are simplistic. If the name choices you have listed don't work, you might want to consider Jillian. I always loved that name.

brittone2
01-16-2006, 09:03 PM
I like it. My personal opinion is that when people get really, really, really carried away with "unique" spellings it is a bit over the top, but I like something slightly different. Personally I think Jenavieve or Jenevieve are both lovely :)

MarisaSF
01-16-2006, 09:09 PM
I love the name Genevieve, especially the French pronunciation. If you like that too, you could go with Johnvieve, Jeanvieve, Jhonvieve....

mudder17
01-16-2006, 09:15 PM
Ooh, I like the Jenevieve, although I think I like Jenavieve better. I also really love the name Jillian, if that's an option. :)

If you go with Jenavieve, Jena (another name I really like) could be a nickname, if that makes any difference.

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

heidiann
01-16-2006, 09:19 PM
I really like the name Genevieve, I really like it spelled Jenevieve. My DH's name starts with a J so he too wanted our daughter to be a J name, so we named her Jillian. I have a 15 year old daughter from a previous marriage and I really liked the name Katie but that was such and original name, I spelled her name Cady ( sounds like Kady) I really liked the spelling.

Heidi
Mom to Jillian 10/20/05

Mommy_Again
01-16-2006, 10:09 PM
What about Jenna? If it wasnt my cousin's name I would use it- I love it.

Saartje
01-16-2006, 10:20 PM
I'm going to be the voice of dissent here and state that I don't like either of those spellings for Genevieve. If it were me — and this is JMO, so take it or leave it, as you will — I'd either use the name Genevieve and figure that being the J-sound family was good enough, or pick a name that would result in less confusion.

smallestangel
01-16-2006, 10:27 PM
>If you go with Jenavieve, Jena (another name I really like)
>could be a nickname, if that makes any difference.

That's really cool idea. Jenavieve is a really pretty name, and Jena would be a great nickname.

Amanda

ellies mom
01-17-2006, 12:17 AM
I agree. The problem with unique spellings is that you are setting your child up to be spelling their name to everyone and seeing their name misspelled on everything for their entire life. I had a hard to spell maiden name. Trust me, it gets old.

psophia17
01-17-2006, 01:28 AM
I have a unique name, and my brother and sister have even more unique names...it is not easy.

Are there any J-names for girls besides a variation on Genevieve on your list?

bluestar2
01-17-2006, 02:01 AM
I really love the name Genevieve, something about the letters just looks nice to me. DH's name is so unusual people can never remember it and he is constantly having to spell it.

CiderLogan
01-17-2006, 07:26 AM
Personally I wouldn't use a unique spelling - I think you are just asking for her to go through her whole life spelling her name to anyone and everyone. There are great J names out there like Julia. :) Also check out http://babynamewizard.com/namevoyager/lnv0105.html - type in J and then you'll see lots of J names. I love Jillian too. Johanna? Josephine? Jane?
(FWIW, my DD and I both have J names but we are not using a J name for number 2.(

Jenny
Mom to Julia, 8/03
...and another GIRL due 5/29/06!

karolyp
01-17-2006, 08:25 AM
I like the J trend, I think it's neat. My parents had the same thing going when we were young, although we were K's: Karroll (mom), Kyle (bro), and Karoly (myself)

Anyhow I really like Jenavieve and I think the spelling is beautiful and it looks nice written too.

Another another J name that I have always liked is Jameela(could also be speeled Jamilah, or Jamila). It's arabic and means beautiful.

JBaxter
01-17-2006, 08:41 AM
I like the name but I can tell you from experience that she will ALWAYS have to spell her name to everyone. My mother spelled my name Jeana ( conventional spelling Gina). I dont think my name is difficult and I like the spelling but I can never just say my name hand expect people to get the spelling correct. I have friends who still spell my name wrong ( I get Jeanna, Gina Gena Geana etc).

My fav J name is Jada

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
01-17-2006, 10:33 AM
I Love JOSIE!

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 ETA 05-22-06

Jenn98
01-17-2006, 11:35 AM
I think it's tough when you always have to spell your name. I had an unusual maiden name and it was a bear to alwyas have to correct people (although you always knew when it was a telemarketer!) But it did get annoying when my mail was addressed incorrectly, teachers couldn't pronounce it on the first day of school, etc...

How about another J name? I'm personally in favor of Josephine, as that's DD's name! We call her Josephine now, but I think we may call her Joey later on. Or Joy, or Josie, or JC (her initials)...

just my .02

Jenn

The Review Mommy
01-17-2006, 01:15 PM
Julie,

I think you have gotten some great advice. I like almost all of the J names mentioned.

My name is Rebekah (Rebecca) and I *LOVE* the "unusual" spelling variation, but.... I think its ok because it has meaning, not just a cool way to spell a name. :) (KWIM)

My name is from the bible, a story about a woman who generously gave a servant and his camels drink from the well. She was also the one who deceived her husband (Isaac) into thinking their younger son Jacob was Esau so he could receive the blessing before he died :P He He He.

When someone asks for my name I always spell it out for them first and they will usually comment by saying something like this:
"That's pretty, I like that"
"Thank you. It's from the bible"
"Really? I thought it was Rebecca, and I'm Christian! I'll have to look at that again."

So, they are familiar with the name and the story but learn that it has a cool spelling!

I was named this because it is my father’s favorite story in the bible. When I found out they were also thinking of naming me April, Ashley or Chelsea, I felt sick to my stomach! :( I'm so glad Dad won that fight! ;) But not because I don’t "like" those other names but because they are "just names" well, to me anyway. This has made me so appreciative for my name and has pushed me towards the same naming process for my children. How wonderful to be named a name with true meaning. It’s so refreshing! Julie I love the *all* J name idea! :D My best friend’s name is Ahren, her DH Aaron, and kids variations of that spelling Erin, etc. Confusing huh! They go by their middle names though.

(King James Version) Genesis Chapters 24, 27

I think I like Jenna the best.
Rebekah

KrisM
01-17-2006, 02:15 PM
I have a friend who does the J thing, too. Her daughter is Jenevieve. I have no trouble pronouncing it, but I do have to look it up for how to spell it. But, I'd have to look up how to spell Genevieve, too, so it's not the J that throws me!

I'd say go for it!

ETA: I've been spelling both my first and last names all my life. My last name didn't improve with marriage :). My full name is Kristine, which is even less common these days than it was 30+ years ago. While I do get sick of being called Kristin and spelling names, I do like that I'm not Christine or Chris.

juliekost
01-17-2006, 11:36 PM
Wow! Thanks so much for all your input! It has really help me feel better about the unique spelling. I am going to put in on our list, alone with Josephine, Jane and some of the other suggestions. I liked the idea for Jenna as a nick name too!

I know there will be mix up and misspellings if we go with Jenavieve or Jenevieve but my name Julie was forever misspelled July so I am not going to let that concern me.

Really thanks for all the wonderful imput. It really helped!

Julie

Jake 11/9/98
Jordyn 12/31/02
Baby J June 2006

sdjeppa
01-17-2006, 11:41 PM
I have a good friend named Jenevieve...she goes by the nickname Jenn...just for another option ;). I love it.

Jenny, Mommy to Zachary 9-27-03

kboyle
01-17-2006, 11:47 PM
I'm a Kristine too and still spell it out, I now respond to anything that is in the Kris family :) Sorry OT, I know.

I like Jenevieve, I think it looks pretty, sounds pretty and is pretty easy to figure out. And like pp, the name could be TOM and people would still botch it up.

For my DS's I went for nice easy, simple names, that were already nicknames (Charlie & Max are there Formal names). and they are both family names. If we decide to have another i've got Lucy & Jake as our other choices.

Do you have anyone in either of your families that have a J name that you like and could use, Charlie's middle name is Jean after DH's grandmother, it's a unisex name, but it does have a female spelling, oh well, he can yell at us when he's older :)