PDA

View Full Version : Any Ear Tubes Experience? (xposted w/Toddler Bargains)

Fairy
01-17-2006, 12:40 PM
Hello! I'm sorry if this doesn't seem to fit, but I'm looking for the widest possible net to cast with this one.

My 16-month-old is getting tubes in his ears tomorrow AM. He's at an excellent hospital and will have a board-certified pediatric anesthesiologist. His ENT, however, is not a Ped ENT, but he's got loads and loads of experience with children for this surgery. I am very good medically both in knowledge and in the grossout factor; however, I'm really freaking out. When it's someone else's child, you can use your head and know something is for the best, but when it's my own, yeah, I know it in my head, but my heart is terrified.

Anyone have any experience with their child, especially baby, having had tubes surgery and how it went, advice, things to watch for, etc.? No tonsils or adenoids, just tubes. I had them (and tonsils/adenoids) when I was 4, so I have an excellent memory of it, but only from my own little girl patient's perspective. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Thank you in advance!

lilycat88
01-17-2006, 01:04 PM
We're on set #2. DD got her first set at 9 months and her second at 16 months. Most ENTs regardless of being a "pediatric" ENT have a ton of experience with ear tubes. We opted not to deal with the Children's Hospital here and have had both of hers done at a local surgery center. I work for the health system with the Children's Hospital so I know when it's overkill to go there.

The surgery was a snap. Literally, from the time we handed her over to the nurse to go back to the OR, until the time we were back with her was less than 15 minutes. I'm not sure if your hospital will let you back in until your DC is awake but we were allowed back as soon as soon as she was wheeled to the recovery area. They did have some oxygen on her but that came off as soon as she started stirring. The nurse told us that kids just *wake up* from the anesthesia and that was certainly the case. It was like someone hit a light switch and she was awake. She did wake up crying a little from disorientation I would guess but never seemed to have any pain (either time). She won't be able to have anything to eat or drink before the procedure so be sure to take something with you. I know the surgery center would have crackers but DD was used to having a cup of milk first thing when she woke up so we took her straw cup with us. She downed it as soon as she saw it. She wanted to get up and wander around so we had to be careful with that. They are awake and alert but her legs were a tiny bit like noodles. Not bad. She never fell down but I was on the lookout and tried to keep her from running.

As far as recovery. There wasn't much. We went home and she ate a huge breakfast/lunch, played for a while, and then took a slightly longer than normal nap. When she woke up, she was totally normal. We even went to Kindermusik that night because she was bouncing off the walls. I don't even think we gave her any pain medication at all. We did give her some Tylenol the first time because she was somewhat fussy on the way home and we didn't know what else to do.

Don't be surprised if there is some drainage and it might be a nasty color. They put cotton balls in her ears but those didn't even make it to the car.

Oh...one other thing. If your DS is on any kind of breathing treatments, check with the ANESTHESIOLOGIST before giving him a treatment. We didn't do hers until we checked with the nurse and she said to go ahead. The anesthesiologist wasn't happy about it. It wasn't a huge deal but it made the anesthesia just a tiny bit more tricky.

Good Luck!

Jamelin
Mom to Susanna born 6/29/2004

KCR4
01-17-2006, 01:57 PM
We are on set #2 with both our boys. The surgery is fast & the recovery was no problem - they bounced back the same day. One of our boys vomits easily and he did vomit a couple times the day of surgery - his stomach was upset from the anesthesia. The tubes make our lives SO MUCH BETTER. It really isn't possible to say it emphatically enough. I will say that if possible, avoid the "funny juice" that they offer to "calm" them before taking them away to the OR. In my experience, it makes them more upset as they come out of anesthesia. They are only awake for a couple minutes after they leave your arms. It was much easier to endure some fearful wailing as the ENT walked away (although with my younger son's last time, he willingly left with the ENT, whom he knows only too well!) than to endure the hard crying that's possible as they come out of it. The nurse actually agreed that it seems to make the transition easier if they skip the funny juice or whatever the name is. Ask your anesthesiologist about this. Good luck! You won't regret it! With our last time at this, we were HOME and DS was eating toast at 8 a.m.!

octmom
01-17-2006, 02:40 PM
My DS got tubes at the beginning of July, when he was about 20 months old. He had ear infection after ear infection for more than a year and fluid that just wouldn't go away, so we decided to do it. Since he got the tubes, he hasn't had a single problem with his ears, even when he has had several colds. Yipppeee! It has made a world of difference for our DS.

I was terrified of the surgery before he had it done (you can find some old posts from me about it if you do a search here), but it really wasn't bad. I went into the OR and held DS while they administered the anesthesia. That was by far the hardest part for me, because DS was very frightened. (We were both crying.) The surgery itself was very quick. DS woke up rather upset (disoriented, frightened, tired, and hungry), but by the time we got out to the car and I held him in my lap for a few minutes and talked to him, he was fine. He took a good nap when we got home and when he woke up it was as if nothing had happened at all.

We started off trying to use ear plugs in the bath and swimming pool per our ENT's advice, and after a short while, we gave up on them and haven't had problems with water in his ears.

I think that a child's surgery of any kind, even a simple procedure like this one, is very tough for parents, but I know that getting tubes was the right thing for my son and I don't regret it. I hope that your experience is similar. Good luck tomorrow!

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
expecting #2! EDD April 1, 2006, but anticipating a C/S in March: IT'S A GIRL!!! :)

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

Fairy
01-17-2006, 02:59 PM
Jamelin, thank you. I was particularly piqued at your mention of the Children's Hospital. I live in the Chicago area and will be going to Evanston Hospital (which means nothing to you if you don't live here), but I was THISCLOSE to getting another opinion at Children's Memorial Hospital. I didn't because two doctors both said he needed them, all my research said he needed them, and after 8 ear infections in 12 months, it was obvious that he needed them; I was just worried about the anesthesia and wanted, perhaps, a Pediatric ENT. After alot of procrastination, we just decided to go with Evanston because we know it's a good hospital, and they have an entire pediatric unit there, so that was that. So, it was very good to get your perspective, there.

Thank you also for the tips on the draining. They said I could be with him till he falls asleep (DH is the queasy sort), and I am gonna push to be there when he wakes up.

THANK YOU!
Fairy

hez
01-17-2006, 03:46 PM
Payton has tubes-- has had them since early March. We had them done by a pediatric ENT through our local Children's Outpatient surgery center.

It was *very* easy for us in the grand scheme. Payton was still BF'ing at the time, so he got 'clear' fluids (aka breastmilk) 4 hours before the surgery. DH took Payton back for the anesthesia, and let me skip out on that. We waited for 15 minutes and he was done. He was screaming like anything when we went to get him-- they offered to let me nurse him in the recovery room, but we live 5 minutes from the surgery center & just gutted out the drive home. I nursed him as soon as we got home and he slept off the rest of the anesthesia. He was pretty much back to normal by the end of the day (we had a 9am or so surgery if I remember right).

The drops were a pain-- he fought them at the start, but did pretty well by the end. Make sure you really rub them in-- a friend wasn't told to do that (overworked resident or something) and her kiddo ended up with a *really* nasty infection. Payton never even dripped anything out of his ears after the surgery.

His speech improved immediately after the surgery-- within a week the words he had were much clearer. That was the deciding factor for us-- his hearing was affected by fluid that never cleared. It was nice to hear the change for ourselves.

Hold onto the drops they give you (they'll probably tell you to, and will give you refills). Payton had his first ear infection post-surgery in November, and all we had to do was put the same drops in for 5 days and it cleared right up (there was a doctor's appt in there to be sure we were doing it right!). The ear infection just looked like yellowish-whitish drainage, but he never got a fever or anything. Think it was just post-cold crap that transferred to his ears.

Good luck!

jamsmu
01-17-2006, 05:15 PM
Carson got his tubes around 19 months. I totally know what you mean about being nervous--its your baby! I didn't read the PPs, but I'm sure everyone told you its simple in and out. They took him away (which is dreadful!) and before I could read an entire mag. article, the anesthesiologist (who will be your best friend b/c he/she oversees everything--I imagined Carson's literally holding his hand.) came out to tell me how perfect everything is. According to all the docs and nurses its extremely simple and routine.

A suggestion from a friend is to cover your child's carseat in a bath towel and bring a bucket, as a lot of children get sick in the carride home. We were fortunate that it didn't happen, but we live 2 minutes from our branch of CHOP (Childrens Hosp. of Pennsylvania.)

Your child won't remember. Carson was up and ready to play the next day--like nothing ever happened. Infact, the afternoon of the surgery, we went on a long walk and it was amazing! DS was looking at "normal" sounds--birds chirping, squirrel rustling through leaves. Things we all take for granted that he hadn't heard before! It was so cool!! DH was older for his, too, and was dreading the aftermath... and was very happily surprised!

Carson had a lot of draining, and there was actually a blod clot. That part wasn't pretty. We never would have known as even with the clot his hearing was SO much better! The doctor noticed at his 8 week follow-up visit (he had to go at 4 weeks, but because he was still draining, had to go again at 8 wks.)

The BEST part--his hearing screening showed AMAZING improvement! I still can't get over that. I love going now for the tests.

Don't have much time, but feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

cleo27
01-17-2006, 09:06 PM
I don't really have much to add that the previous posters haven't mentioned, but we had DDs tubes put in last February (she was 8 months old). They are still in and we have not had a problem. She had many ear infections prior to the insertion, and only had one or two last spring and none this winter (knock on wood!)

The procedure was very quick and recovery was easy. She was back to herself the next day. We had ours done at our community hospital. Our doctor was an ENT, but I don't think he was just pediatric.

Good luck - I hope it goes well for your son. I truly think it was harder for DH and I, than it was for DD.

Hugs,

kelly ann
01-17-2006, 10:19 PM
At 18 mo, DS had his tubes put in at Children's Memorial and it only took 15 minutes. They even offered to do it at one of the satellite locations, but I was so worried and insisted on going downtown. Looking back, it definitely could have been done at a more convenient facility or with a closer doctor, but DS was already a patient of the ENT for another problem.

Evanston is an excellent hospital and I am sure your son will be in good hands. Getting the tubes was definitely the right decision for us - not one regret!

Fairy
02-07-2006, 03:10 PM
Hi Everyone! I just wanted to leave a little epilogue, here, and let you all know that the tubes did, indeed, go well, and everything you all posted was very helpful! The anesthesiologist did let me go into the OR with them and stay till Matthew fell asleep. He screamed his head off when the mask went on, and it was only when I saw his eyes glaze over that I cried. But he was done in about eight minutes, awake, napped 40 minutes home, then full of energy till we finally got him down for a nap 5 hours later. Wow! So, thank you, all!

Fairy :-)

octmom
02-07-2006, 03:24 PM
I'm glad that Matthew did well with his surgery. You did better than me at holding back the tears until he was out of it. I hope the tubes will keep those nasty ear infections away! They have been great for us.

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
DD is scheduled to arrive via c/s on March 21! :)

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

TaChapm
02-07-2006, 04:01 PM
Jackson had 2 sets of tubes at 4 months and then at 13 months. He also had to have a fat patch to fix the hole that the second set of tubes left. Tyler just had his first set put in last Thursday.

One thing that we had to learn the hard way was with DC leaving us to go back into surgery. After Jackson's second set of tubes he started having terrible night wakings that night that continued on for close to a year. The only connection I could make was that it started the day he had his second set of tubes put in. When I asked my ped. to look into it for me she found that the night waking can be caused by the anesthesia (although it is rare). For some reason Jackson couldn't get over being taken away from us and waking up to strangers and it caused some serious problems. When he went in for his next surgery we talked to the anesthesiologist about it and they decided to give him an oral sedative so he wouldn't realize he was being taken away. I then insisted that I be let into the recovery room before he woke up so that I could be there for him. It helped out so much!

We didn't do this with Tyler because he was still young enough to not know what was going on but I think with older children it is something that you might want to consider. It is certainly less traumatic.

The surgery itself is nothing. We timed Tyler's and from the time he left my arms to the time the doctor came out was 6 minutes. It is very quick! Tyler has had a lot of drainage and blood in one ear and has not dealt with the tubes as well as Jackson did. He has been EXTREMELY fussy and irritable. We are going into the ENT tomorrow because he has started running a fever. He is teething so who knows what is wrong but this did throw us for a loop. Jackson bounced back so fast you would never know he had surgery by the end of the day.

Every child is different. Best of luck to you! I hope everything goes well!

Tara
Mommy to Jackson 11-10-02
Tyler William 6-9-05
OMG!!! Baby #3 Due September 5, 2006!

http://b4.lilypie.com/gzWfm8.png

http://b1.lilypie.com/kLMem8.png

http://bd.lilypie.com/UEZ3m8.png