PDA

View Full Version : Is my daughter dropping a nap?

nyc_mom
01-17-2006, 07:06 PM
Is 15 months too early to nap once a day? Please say it is and that she's just going through a phase. For this past week, DD has only been napping once a day, either late morning or mid-afternoon (there is no rhyme or reason to this)for about 2 hours. I've been putting her down at her usual nap times but she just hangs out in there talking and eventually gets frustrated and starts yelling for me. Is this typical? I hate losing a nap. Any advice? FWIW, she usually sleeps from 7:30 pm to 7:30 am.

nyc_mom
http://b2.lilypie.com/yVa8m5/.png

http://bd.lilypie.com/HiJNm5/.png

lilycat88
01-17-2006, 07:10 PM
Wow...you've made it that long!

DD went down to one nap a day at 14 months. She sleeps from 7:30 - 6:15ish and naps from 12:15 - 2:30ish. She is in daycare so that dictates the times but she had dropped to 1 a day before moving to her current situation. On the weekend, she'll generally sleep 8 - 8:30 and a 2 or 3 hour nap.

deenass
01-17-2006, 07:25 PM
DS dropped his early morning nap at 10 mos. He also transitioned to later naps over the last two years. Around 15 mos his nap started between 11:30 - 12, these days it starts at 2 - 2:30 (though he hasn't napped in a week and a half so we may be done!!!)

AmyZ
01-17-2006, 07:56 PM
I think 15 months is right on target! My daughter dropped around 14ish months. She then started to go down around 11 or 11:30 and sleep until 2ish - sometimes until 3pm. Just now (almost 2) she is starting to move to 1pm nap. At night - she sleeps 9pm - 7am.
Amy Z

"Ma!" to Eliana May 2/5/04
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

elliput
01-17-2006, 07:58 PM
It sounds like your daughter is ready for one nap a day.

My DD went from 2 naps to 1 at about 10 months. She now naps usually from 12:30 to 2.

mudder17
01-17-2006, 08:30 PM
Wow, I agree with PP, you're doing great! Kaya lost her nap right around the time she turned a year old. She even occasionally loses her one nap a day, but I changed her bedtime so that she's now sleeping only 10 hours or so at night and she's back to taking 2 hour naps!!! :)

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

fauve01
01-17-2006, 10:06 PM
i am so jealous of all you people with nappers! my dd dropped the morning nap just before she turned one, and dropped the afternoon nap just before 19 months. She is never cranky, so i guess it is just her nature! she sleeps great at night (like (645p-745a) so that is all i care about.

btw, when she dropped the naps, she did what you described--just sat in there and talked and sang and read and bounced.

GOOD LUCK!

Anne + DD 10-03

Neatfreak
01-17-2006, 10:47 PM
My daughter did it when she was 15 months old, and we kind of experienced what you're experiencing now with your little girl's napping. I thought that I would hate it, but I've come around to digging the one-nap-a-day routine. We don't have to rush as much at the grocery store to get home in time to have lunch before afternoon naptime. She naps for longer, so I still have 2.5 - 3 hours to do whatever work I need to (or goof off on the internet). It just took a few weeks to work all of the kinks out!

Elena
01-17-2006, 11:11 PM
From "Healthy sleep habits, happy child" by Marc Weissbluth, my "sleep bible":

At 12 mo: 82% have 2 naps, 17% have 1 nap
At 15 mo: 43% have 2 naps, 56% have 1 nap
At 18 mo: 23% have 2 naps, 77% have 1 nap
At 21 mo: 12% have 2 naps, 88% have 1 nap
At 24 mo: 5% have 2 naps, 95% have 1 nap
At 36 mo: 0% have 2 naps, 91% have 1 nap, 9% have 0 naps.

Hope that helps!

brittone2
01-17-2006, 11:14 PM
My DS dropped his morning nap around 11 months. He's 23 months now and I'm trying to figure out if he's attempting to drop his afternoon nap. If he takes it, it is 2 hours, but then he's not tired whatsoever until 10pm. If he skips it, I am more likely to be able to get him to bed early. So....I'm thinking he may already be phasing out his p.m nap. I feel for you ;)

teddy
01-17-2006, 11:42 PM
My son will be 15 months next week and I still put him down in the morning and the afternoon. At first he talks but eventually (maybe within 20 minutes) he's asleep. How long do you let her "talk" before going in there to rescue her? Just wondering if my DS should be moving to one nap now...

almostamom
01-17-2006, 11:48 PM
We're right there with you. DS is 14 mos. and started transitioning to 1 nap a day about 3 or 4 weeks ago. He hasn't really found a consistent time for his one nap yet. Today it was at 9:30 - yesterday it was at 11:30, so we're still working on that. He is going to bed a bit earlier now though. He's usually sleeping from about 6:30/6:45ish p.m.to 7:00 or 7:30 a.m.

~Linda~
DS 11/9/04

spanannie
01-17-2006, 11:50 PM
I think it's amazing that she took 2 naps for so long...especially with sleeping 12 hrs. That's impressive!

You can look forward to a really long nap now, instead! My DD takes a 3-4 hour nap in the afternoon. I can really get a lot done.

I feel for you, though; I was pretty shaken up when my DS (now 3.5) went to one nap...I was so used to it, that I didn't know what to do without that morning time (when I normally took my shower, did my hair and makeup, etc). With child 2, I was glad for her to give up the morning nap, since I would be able to get out and do errands, do activities with DS, etc.

She'll transition soon, even though I found it hard at first, since when they first go to 1 nap from 2, they have trouble making it to their nap time...start getting tired early, but aren't yet ready to go to sleep. That passes quickly, even though it seems frustrating at the time.

1ceng1
01-18-2006, 12:36 AM
That's about when my DD dropped her nap and went to one.

nyc_mom
01-18-2006, 08:17 AM
I've left her in there for up to 1 1/2 hours! I know, it sounds crazy, but especially with being pregnant, I need some relaxing time too. And as long as she's happy, I don't worry.

nyc_mom

nyc_mom
01-18-2006, 08:20 AM
Thanks to everyone who responded. This board is amazing! I'm bummed to know she's going down to one nap but at least I know I'm not the only one who's going through this transition at this age. Thanks again!

nyc_mom

ilovetivo
03-01-2006, 03:29 PM
Can I jump on this thread with questions? If I should start my own thread, please let me know.

What are the signs that they're switching? Is there a difference with those signs and teething or other oddities? How do you handle lunch? Do you move the 1st nap later and still keep the 2nd nap at it's normal time?

Here's our situation: Zoey's 14 months this week, she only has 3 teeth, has food allergies and I weaned her from bf w/ no problems 1 month ago. She is starting to talk more, copying words and such. She's been walking full-time for 3 1/2 months. A few weeks ago she was eating a ton. Now much less than ever before. There were a few days about a week later that she slept 1 hour or so more a day. I mentioned her allergies, because we never know if her sleep is being affected by it or not. Last week I tried switching her off formula to rice & oat milk, but she reacted at the same time. We're starting over again. Although we try to do 1 thing at a time, it's still so hard to pinpoint her reactions.

Normally she goes down for naps and bed without any problems. This past week she's missed 1 or 2 naps a day 5 of the 7 days. Yesterday she missed both, but finally fell asleep watching tv in grandma's arms at 2:15 and slept 2 hrs. When she "misses" a nap, i put her in the crib at her set time, she seems tired and she just screams bloody murder until I get her. (up to 20 min). There's no "hanging out" or "talking" time. I get her, she calms down with tv (no flames pls, it's the only thing that works lately, but it's educational - usually Signing Times). I try to put her down again and she still screams non-stop. One day this week she went down for 1st nap, but wouldn't do 2nd. Usually I try to get her down for her 2nd nap early if she misses the 1st.

Also, several times this week we had a harder time getting her to bed at night. She screamed hysterically again until we got her, did 20 min tv, and then she went down. I don't remember dates, but i think there were 2-3 times in last 2 weeks where she woke up middle of night. And a couple times she slept approx 13 hrs at night.

She's not teething on things any more than normal lately. She has had a recent ear infections (3 in 3 months), but it's clear now. She stops crying when I get her. It'd continue if it was her ears.

Her typical schedule:
7:30pm-7:30 am sleep - straight thru
7:30 bottle
8:15 breakfast
9:30-10:30 nap
11:30 lunch
1:15 bottle
1:30 - 2:30 nap
4:30 bottle
5:30 dinner
7:30 bed

Thanks so much! i'm at my wits end. Of course the sitter is here today and she took both naps.

bluestar2
03-01-2006, 07:09 PM
She might be dropping one of her naps if she isn't sick. She sounds active like my DS who started walking at 9 months and dropped one of his naps at 12 months and is moving towards dropping his remainding nap now at 26 months (he will only sleep maybe 3 days now even though I still put him to bed every afternoon). When he was 12 months, I noticed he gradually started sleeping less and less for his naps, as little as 20 mins each, if at all. He would lay in his crib and babble or cry, sometimes scream but not fall asleep. I started going out during his morning "nap time" so he wouldn't fall asleep. We'd go for a walk or run an errand and he'd be happy but if we stayed home he would be cranky. There was a window from 9-10 am when he'd be cranky, but if we got past that period he would be ok. I fed him lunch earlier and put him to sleep at about 12 pm and he would sleep for about two hours :D
This was by far the sweetest time. I got a great break and he got more sleep overall. He went to bed about 7:30 and woke up at about 6 am.

I'm having to wake up DD from her naps early (same age) because I noticed she will still nap for 2 hours in the afternoon but started waking up at night 2-6 times. When I limited her nap to one hour she started sleeping through the night again or wakes up only once.

You might try the same and see if it helps. The transition period can be a bit rough but he did get better quality sleep for his long afternoon nap than his two short ones. Your DD might be overtired if she is screaming at bedtime and she didn't get enough sleep during the day, or her two sleep periods were short. You can try putting her to bed earlier, especially if she didn't sleep much during the day. She could also be resisting sleep if she isn't tired. Does she seem tired? I'm not sure if this helps you any, each child can be so different.

AmyZ
03-01-2006, 07:57 PM
My DD went to one nap at 15 months. I just pushed the 9am nap later and later. (She was starting to take very looonnnnggg morning naps and then refusing afternoon naps - so that is why I started to push it a bit later and then later) She finally settled in at around 11:30 am and slept on average to about 2pm. I always did lunch after -- I found that she ate bettter bec. she was more hungry (I would give a small snack of fruit and bread or cheerios around 11am). I'm sure there will be some days that your DD is tired enough for 2 naps during this transition, but soon she will probably just have one long one. My DD goes to bed at 9pm and gets up at 7am. Now that she is 2 years old, she just moved her nap time until about 1pm, but up until a couple of weeks ago, she was still falling asleep around 11:30am or noonish.
Amy Z

"Ma!" to Eliana 2/04 - She's 2!
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

ilovetivo
03-02-2006, 11:10 AM
Thanks Amy and Bluestar - She does seem tired at bed and nap times and not overtired. Today for sure i thought she'd go down but didn't. she was quiet, yawning, put her head on my shoulder and still just screamed in her crib the second i put her in til i got her.
I'm going to post my own thread b/c i have more questions.