PDA

View Full Version : Housewarming gift - yes or no?

Twin Mom
01-17-2006, 08:46 PM
I am going to a friend's house tomorrow night to hang out while her DH is out of town. She has 4 DD so she can't go out. She moved there about 6 months ago but I have never seen the house. We are not good friends but do get together every now and then. Would you bring a housewarming gift if you were me?

wencit
01-17-2006, 08:49 PM
I would probably bring something small, like a nice plant. (Well, technically, since I am Korean, I would probably bring laundry detergent, but that's another story!)

I find that people appreciate gestures, no matter how small they may seem.

elliput
01-17-2006, 08:51 PM
I would probably take bright bouquet of flowers. Unless she has allergies, who doesn't love to get flowers? Her DDs will love it too!

ErinMC
01-17-2006, 08:55 PM
I would, even if it's just something small like a nice picture frame. I'm sure she'd love the gesture.

Erin

Mom to Chase Feb. 04
... and another little guy coming in June :-)

kelly ann
01-17-2006, 10:29 PM
Erica-

Since DH is Korean, please elaborate on the laundry detergent :)

In about a month, the ILs will be moving into a new house. What is the traditional house warming gift for Koreans?

laurena
01-17-2006, 11:02 PM
Absolutely! It will make her so happy and it doesn't need to cost a lot. The plant idea from a PP is a great idea. Our, you could even bake something.

kboyle
01-17-2006, 11:13 PM
Whenever I go over to someone's house, whether it be new friend, new house, old friend, old house I pretty much always bring something over. A sm bouquet of flowers, a bottle of wine, a case of beer if DH is coming and we'll all be hanging out, or a sm toy/coloring book & crayons for the kiddos.

Even something that's just $5-10 will ALWAYS make someone smile. Or, since you guys are hanging out w/o the DH's bring over a new release rental DVD that's sappy, romantic or funny. I just got Must Love Dogs from netflix and am sooo excited to watch it tomorrow when I get off of work and EVERYONE in the house will be asleep...finally, Toy Story 2 will come out of my DVD player!!!

wencit
01-18-2006, 11:28 AM
Well, my mom always said that Koreans bring over laundry detergent because it makes a lot of bubbles, which signifies your wishes for much fortune and prosperity in their new home. I got a Costco-sized box of Cheer from her when I moved into my first house. :)

kelly ann
01-18-2006, 12:19 PM
That is interesting and what an easy thing to buy ;) I will have to pass this on to DH and "wow" him with my knowledge of the Korean customs!

CiderLogan
01-18-2006, 01:43 PM
If I were you, I'd bring either some flowers or a small plant, or I'd bake or purchase some cookies, a cake, something like that.

Jenny
Mom to Julia, 8/03
...and another GIRL due 5/29/06!