PDA

View Full Version : Any Portland, OR mamas in here? Ped recommendations, please

pcha72
01-18-2006, 07:06 PM
I'd like to switch pediatricians, since the wait time at my current ped's office is ridiculously looooong (we waited 15 mins in the waiting room, another 15 mins for the Dr. and then another 30 mins for the nurse to come give DS his shots). I've narrowed it down to a few peds at the Broadway Medical Clinic in NE and at the Oregon Pediatric NE office. Does anyone have experience at either of these places? Any input would be appreciated. TIA.

~P

hobey
01-18-2006, 07:11 PM
Where are you in the Metro area? We're on the west side and have a great family practitioner in Hillsboro that we all go to. She's very open, prompt, and is always willing to discuss alternatives, etc.

Raquel
Nathan's Mom 12/19/03

pcha72
01-18-2006, 07:37 PM
I'm in N/NE.

I didn't even consider a family practitioner. Is there much difference in the way they practice?

hobey
01-18-2006, 08:01 PM
Ah...it will be a stretch to come all the way out to Hillsboro then. :)

It depends. Not all FP's (as with peds) are up to date on all the current AAP/WHO recommendations so it may take some searching to find someone who has a style you like and with whom both you and your DC are comfortable.
I like our FP because she's pretty well researched and in areas where she doesn't have expertise, is willing to listen to me and my research on the issue. She was also very supportive of our parent-directed vaxing philosophy and has a pretty holistic approach to healthcare and doesn't poo-poo alternative medicine. Plus since she's my, my DH's, and DS's primary doc, she's very familiar with our family and can tailor treatment recommendations to match.

Edited: Spelling...sheesh

Raquel
Nathan's Mom 12/19/03

JustMe
01-18-2006, 11:39 PM
Just wanted to say "hi" from Eugene! I cant help with ped. recommendations in Portland.

Robyn

aasmey
01-19-2006, 12:59 PM
Hi! I happen to be a local pediatrician -- sent you an email with some input...