PDA

View Full Version : Cape Cod in May?

Radosti
01-20-2006, 10:03 AM
Would you go to Cape Cod in May? My maternity leave is over on June 1st and I wanted to go on vacation before then... need ideas on where would be nice at that time.

aliceinwonderland
01-20-2006, 10:23 AM
I got married in Cape Cod (well, Martha's Vineyard) at the end of May a few yrs back and it was lovely :) :) :)

WooChx
01-20-2006, 01:01 PM
I live a few hours away from CC. It's beautiful any time of year. It will surely be too cold to go in the water, but great for dressing warm and flying kites. Every so often we have unseasonably warm weather, so you always have a chance of getting a fantastic week. The nice thing about the Cape is that even when its cold and grey, it is still beautiful. I recommend getting a hotel with a nice heated indoor pool or a B&B with a jacuzzi or fireplace in the room. Makes for a perfect way to warm up after antiqueing, mini-golf, etc. Not to mention New England Clam Chowder always tastes better when it's cold outside.

kfcboston
01-20-2006, 01:25 PM
Chatham is an absolutely gorgeous spot - can't beat the Chatham Bars Inn. Also love the outer Cape, esp. P-town (Provincetown), where there's quite a bit to do and see. And certainly the islands. Have fun!

jayali
01-20-2006, 03:49 PM
I would go to the Cape any time. We spend at least one week at the Chatham Bars Inn every year. Chatham is a great town and the prices are probably a little bit lower that time of the year. The rooms are large so that you can have them set up the Port-a-Crib and even have some privacy for yourselves.

I am jealous!!

BillK
01-20-2006, 04:08 PM
We used to stay in Sandwich (Seth Pope House) frequently. Was a nice little town and some interesting stuff in the area. I agree with the pp's - any time of the year would suit me fine for a trip to the cape or islands. :)

JElaineB
01-21-2006, 08:24 AM
I grew up on Cape Cod, and I return at various times of the year to visit my parents (just got back last week actually). If you want to go to the beach then May is out - unless for kite flying or dune climbing as others have mentioned. Air temp can be warm in May but it can be cold too. It really depends on the year. The water temp will be too cold for swimming. If you want to do swimming I would recommend late June to early August. But if swimming isn't on the agenda then May is fine and less crowded (except Memorial Day weekend - do not try to drive on or off Cape on that Friday/Monday). Most seasonal businesses should be open in May, so you should be able to do lots of things then as well (unlike January - there's not much to do in January!)

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

ctmom
01-21-2006, 09:11 AM
We love the Cape any time of year. Like the pp said the water is too cold to swim, but there are other things to do! We have stayed in Wellfleet in the past, but this year we are renting a cottage in Eastham. For the past couple of years we have gone the week after Labor Day and it was perfect b/c there are no crowds! I'm sure the pace is the same in May. This year will be the last year we can can get away with that time of year b/c dd#1 starts Kindergarden...If the weather is nice enough you can go to the ponds and just relax.

Enjoy!
Mary

Radosti
01-21-2006, 09:38 AM
Darn, I kind of wanted to go in the water. This is the first time we will be vacationing close to home. Last year we went to Florida b/c I was pregnant and didn't want to go too far. But usually we go somewhere warm like Hawaii, Bora Bora/Tahiti, Cancun, Bahamas. So, this is a new thing for us. However, we have to go somewhere before June 1st as I have to start work again and I can't take a week vacation in August since I've been out for six months.

I don't really want to fly to Florida with a five months old baby. I just wanted to go somewhere warm and enjoy our vacation together before I have to go back to work.

I was originally due on Dec 20th, so would not have had to go back to work until June 20th, but he came early, so the June Cape Cod trip is off... darn. I wanted to go in the water and let him splash his little feet in the water.

aliceinwonderland
01-21-2006, 11:34 AM
I went in the water in MV (Gay head, some beaches there are warmer than others, or so I'm told) in May (but might have been beginning of June, but it was still a bit cold and I do not recommend it :)

Mabster
01-24-2006, 11:39 AM
My family has been vacationing in Cape Cod since I was in first grade. We used to go in July or August but it has gotten increasingly more & more crazy to navigate the Cape during the summer. When I hit high school we started going in the fall over the Jewish holidays and found it much more tolerable. The water was still warm enough to go in, and there are nowhere near as many tourists & crazy drivers. Much easier to get reservations, much easier to drive around, cheaper rates, altogether much more pleasant. When I was in college we would go in late May/early June and have the same experience, except for the warmer water. Personally, I'd never go during the summer again. Much too humid & nuts for my liking. May/June or September/October are just perfect as far as I'm concerned. A little cooler weather really makes it the New England experience as far as I'm concerned. Now that I'm older & married DH and I go visit his sisters place in Martha's Vineyard, but even at that I still push for September.

We used to go all the way out to Provincetown all the time. I think the middle of May was the point where most restaurants had their grand opening for the season. There still enough to do. Even if it is too cold to swim that doesn't mean you can't go to the beach. You can probably still dip your toes in the water, and your kid can still enjoy playing in the sand.

Good luck on your decision!

kfcboston
01-24-2006, 12:39 PM
I'm so sorry you're bummed, but it is indeed true. May is definitely not summer there, and while you won't get any snow it can be a little touch and go at that point in terms of temps.

Good luck!

Marriedladytara
01-24-2006, 12:43 PM
DH and I went to Cape Cod the first weekend in May a bunch of years ago. We stayed in Hyannis. It was cold-ish (but we brought warm clothes!) and quiet. Swimming was out of the question, but there was plenty to do. It was actually a lot of fun!