PDA

View Full Version : What cleaning system do you use for your contact lenses?

Marisa6826
01-21-2006, 08:55 PM
I've been using the Ciba Aosept stuff for years. I stopped wearing contacts when I got pregnant with Sophie, but am now starting up again.

Obviously, a lot has changed in the three years I've not been paying attention to contact lense cleaning.

I know that I can't use the ReNu stuff, since I'm allergic to it.

Any other suggestions? I want easy, simply and mindless. ;)

TIA

-m

LD92599
01-21-2006, 09:30 PM
Daily Disposables :-) I had an ongoing infection either while pg w/ Will or shortly after (now that I think about it, i think it was shortly after). Once i swithced to dailies everything is fine. They are pretty cheap via Costco!

Laura
mom to William

LKibala @ optonline.net
[img]http://lilypie.com/baby3/030305/1/2/0/-5/.png

Use a Mac? Interested in learning more about them? Join us!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BBB-MacUsers/

babystuffbuff
01-21-2006, 10:08 PM
I use the Target brand solution. Very simple, very mindless. It's no-rub, so I just soak my lenses in it overnight and pop them in in the morning. If they get dry, a few squirts and they're good as new. Bonus: a big bottle of it costs $2.34. :)

Sarah

"Are these your friends? Where are their clothes?"

Katia
01-22-2006, 12:11 AM
Your story sounds exactly like mine -- I used Ciba Aosept for years and years, and stopped wearing contacts entirely when DS was born. Too tired to deal with mixing chemicals. A few weeks ago I got daily disposables, and I love them so far. I tend to be extremely frugal in some areas, but I can't tell you how wonderful it is to be able to pop the lenses out and throw them in the trash at the end of the day. And for travel, it's even better -- no huge bottles to lug around! I plan on wearing the contacts only once or twice a week, so the overall cost isn't bad.

Katia
DS 2003

Marisa6826
01-22-2006, 12:14 AM
I have a really screwy astigmatism, so the dailies don't fit me right. I have the ones that I wear for three months and then toss.

I also already ordered them earlier today.

I guess I'll stick with the Aosept for now.

-m

ellies mom
01-22-2006, 02:36 AM
I can't use Renu either for the same reason. This is the type of stuff I'm using now. I only use the second part since I wear disposals but it is really fast and easy. In your case because you wear yours for so much longer you would probably want the cleaner as well. http://www.us.cibavision.com/lens_care/other_products.shtml
http://www.us.cibavision.com/img/products/lens_care_other_pure_eyes.jpg

I also sometimes by this which is basically the same as part two of the above. I just buy which ever of the two I can find.
http://www.us.cibavision.com/lens_care/clear_care.shtml
http://www.us.cibavision.com/img/products/lens_care_clear_care.jpg

The cleaning system shown on the website that is right below the Pure Eyes one is another one that doesn't bother my eyes. I used to use it and loved it but some doctors do not think it cleans well enough because you only need to leave it in the chemical for 5 minutes.

Aunt to sweet baby boy
01-22-2006, 02:46 AM
Just to let you know i also have a astigmatism and i wear daliy contact lenses.

They are by ciba vision i belive and are called the toric lenses. I know that the astigmatisim only goes up so high but it might work for you.

Ilana

annex
01-22-2006, 03:07 AM
FYI, the AOSept system is apparently discontinued (much to my annoyance, I've been using it for 20 years!) "Clear Care" is the name of the replacement system from CIBA vision. I haven't had to try it yet (still have enough AOSept bottles to last me a few more months) but it looks pretty similar other than you don't need to do cleaning/rubbing before disinfecting anymore. If you liked AOSept, run out now to see if your stores still have them on the shelves!

I always get high praise from my optometrist about how clean and in good shape my soft contacts are, so I too am worried about what a new cleaning system will do to change that. I buy one pair and wear them generally for 2-4 years before replacing them. I've always assumed that's a better bargain than ones you replace daily or every few months.

Anne

JenfromWI
01-22-2006, 09:06 AM
I just had to vent about AOSept! I loved the AOSept system and was confused when I was having a hard time finding it at Target & Walgreens. I just started using the "Clear Care" system and it's working fine so far. It's nice in that you get the bottle of solution and disposable cup/disc in the box and you don't need to rub- just rinse for 5 seconds. Unfortunately, I have three of the disposable cup/discs to go with the AOSept system in my closet yet!! I am going to try and track down some original AOSept to use them. I wish AOSept would have communicated better that they were going to discontinue it. I couldn't find either AOSept OR "Clear Care" for about a week. I checked the AOSept website, which didn't say anything. I ended up calling my optometrist to figure things out.

Calmegja2
01-22-2006, 10:41 AM
The Clear Care system. I'm allergic to so many different types, and my eyes get so dry, but that cleaning regimen, coupled with new lenses for dry eyes (silicone gel) have helped 100%. ;-)

daniele_ut
01-22-2006, 11:33 AM
I used AOsept for years and it worked great. Eventually, I switched to the Costco Kirkland brand when I went to 3 month replacement lenses.

Recently, though, I switched lenses again to Focus Night and Day and I am in LOVE! I believe they have a toric version as well. I know you just got new lenses, but I would at least take a look next time around. they are amazingly breathable and FDA approved for 30 days of continuous wear. I have never been able to sleep in contacts before, but these are wonderful! I love finally being able to wake up, blink and SEE. Until they can correct my vision surgically (and until I can afford it) these are heaven sent!

Marisa6826
01-22-2006, 02:55 PM
D'oh! I didn't even think to look on Ciba's website! Thanks, V!

The stuff I used to use is renamed to be Clear Care. So I guess I know what to look for now.

The Aquify stuff looks pretty cool, too. I'll have to ask my eye doctor when I go next week to pick up my new glasses (got new glasses, new sunglasses and new contacts ;) ).

-m

Marisa6826
01-22-2006, 02:58 PM
I used the overnight ones a gazillion years ago when they first came out. I remember that searing pain upon waking till I could get some drops in them!

I have really dry eyes to begin with (a side effect of medication I'm on), so I don't think I'll be able to wear the overnight ones. Even a nap will set me back with really sore eyes for the balance of the day. :(

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one perplexed by the Aosept thing!!

-m

daniele_ut
01-22-2006, 04:14 PM
Marisa - I was the same way with lenses before. These are far more permeable than anything that was on the market before. I didn't believe my eye doc so he gave me a free trial pair. I did need drops for the first few weeks, but they were never painful, and now, I only use drops once in a blue moon.

SpaceGal
01-22-2006, 06:44 PM
I use ClearCare as well. It works better for me than Renu because Renu would dry my eyes out faster than ClearCare. Granted I don't wear contacts as much as I used to but DH and I like ClearCare much better.

Twin Mom
01-22-2006, 11:52 PM
I still buy my Aosept at either BJ's or Costco. I just bought some last week BTW. I did get a sample of the new system when I bought my new contacts but I don't think I've used it yet since I haven't had a problem finding the Aosept.

I used to use one of the no rub systems where you just soak your lenses in a case every night, but I started to have some irritation in my eyelids and my contacts started really bugging me so my eye doctor recommended Aosept since it is a better system than most of the others. I NEVER sleep with them in. Most eye doctors don't recommend it.

zuzu
01-23-2006, 01:57 PM
I use the Opti Free multi-purpose solution.

I also have a terrible time with dry eyes, and couldn't wear contacts while pregnant or for over a year afterwards. After trying several brands, my doctor prescribed Extreme H20 contacts, and they are amazing. http://www.extreme-h2o.com/