PDA

View Full Version : Yikes - Are we supposed to be using toothpaste??

Judegirl
01-23-2006, 03:34 PM
At what age do you stop brushing with just water and start using fluoride-free toothpaste? At what age do you start doing it on the stool at the bathroom sink?

Thanks,
Jude

aliceinwonderland
01-23-2006, 03:41 PM
we've been using the flouride-free toothpaste for a few months now...Not sure what the protocol is.

ctmom
01-23-2006, 03:56 PM
we started letting dd#1 use our toothpaste around the age of 3.5, when she was good at spitting. She never liked the "kids toothpaste" so she just brushed with water until then. DD#2 is 2yo and has been brushing at the sink for about 6 months. Of course it is another "monkey see, monkey do" thing in our house!
Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

lilycat88
01-23-2006, 03:57 PM
We really never did the water thing. DD was 11 months old before her first tooth ever broke through and we didn't really start brushing until she was over a year old and we started right off using a fluoride free toothpaste. It was a real struggle until Eri saved the day and schleped a tube of Toms of Maine Silly Strawberry out to Indiana and we arranged a clandestined meeting in the airport to pass along the goods. A new organic market opened here and they carry it...YEA!

Now, Susanna runs for her toothbrush to eat off the toothpaste and then chews on it and tries to "brush" for as long as we'll let her. I'll then have "mommy's turn" and actually do the real brushing while we sing the ABC song. Then, she'll take her toothbrush to bed. Crazy kid. So, I don't forsee the whole stool at the bathroom sink thing in our future anytime soon.

Jamelin
Mom to Susanna born 6/29/2004

aliceinwonderland
01-23-2006, 04:06 PM
hehe, happy to be a toothpaste dealer for my favorite BBB toddlers :)

mudder17
01-23-2006, 04:08 PM
Umm...we're a water user over here. I suppose we'll keep on using water until our pediatrician or dentist tells us to. ;)

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

lilycat88
01-23-2006, 04:13 PM
Our crazy ped told us that we could use "regular" toothpaste with Susanna when her final molar broke through. I looked at her like she had 3 heads. We love our ped overall but not on that point. Our ped dentist said either water or the non fluoride toothpaste was fine until they could spit. So, we let her eat the toothpaste (hey, it's all natural, right!) and I end up doing the real brushing with water.

Jamelin
Mom to Susanna born 6/29/2004

ETA: By "final molar" I meant the final of the 1st 4 she is working on.

JBaxter
01-23-2006, 04:32 PM
We use fluoride free mint toothpaste here only because Nathan sees me and his brothers putting something on the brush. I tried the fruity flavor but that was a no go. I later found out that he has been brushing with his brothers and they have been loading up his brush with good ol' colgate not he will ONLY use mint thank goodness for toms ! Nathan uses his potty chair to stand on at the sink and does well his new skill this week is spitting lol all that being said I think he was about 18 months when he learned about toothpaste.

FYI it is the actual act of brushing that removes the plaque not the paste. When I was working as a dental hygienist I used to recommend somewhere between 18mo - 2yrs but if the child didnt like the flavor then keep with water.

new_mommy25
01-23-2006, 06:04 PM
We use Wedela tooth gel which is flouride free. We've been brushing at the sink ob a stool right after DS hit a year I think. We have a big bathroom counter so sometimes we just sit him on that.

newnana
01-23-2006, 06:19 PM
Oh now what have I messed up?

DD is 8 months old and we've been brushing for about a month WITH the flouride free toothpaste. I didn't realize that you weren't supposed to use it. She has 6 teeth (as of this weekend), so brushing is a necessity.

What's the harm of using the toothpaste? She adores having her teeth brushed and will speed crawl to me if she sees her toothbrush in my hand. We also have the decoy toothbrush that is her favorite toy and only working diaper change distraction that she knows exactly what to do with.

When is too soon to use the toothpaste?

Thanks!!!

mum1day
01-23-2006, 06:51 PM
Our pediatric dentist told us to use fluoridated kids toothpaste. I was shocked. I smear the tiniest bit on DD's toothbrush twice/week, and brush and the rest of the week I use Burt's. We're on a well, with no fluoride, so I suppose I just had blind faith in our ped. dentist.

smilequeen
01-23-2006, 08:39 PM
Eh, you don't have to. Water and the toothbrush are just fine for now. I tend to say at around 3 it's good to start with a tiny bit of fluoride toothpaste (although I'm not a big fluoride pusher...I'm good with the non-fluoride stuff too :)). I do use non fluoride baby toothpaste for DS just because he loves it and therefore lets me brush his teeth as long as I feel is neccessary (and then signs for more LOL).

holliam
01-23-2006, 09:18 PM
We use the fluoride-free toothpaste already. Mari is also already standing on the stool at the bathroom sink.

The girl is obsessed with brushing her teeth. It's one of her favorite activities. :)

Holli