PDA

View Full Version : First Birthday theme?

martycw
01-24-2006, 12:08 PM
I know this has been asked many times, but I'm still at a complete loss for ideas.

We are going to have a simple party at our house in March (in Chicago - no outdoor option!) for about 30 people, including a few one-year olds and some toddlers.

It will probably take place on 3/18, so we thought about a St. Patrick's day theme (we are Irish), but the holiday will really be over by then, so maybe not. I'm not really into characters and my son wouldn't know what any of them were, except for maybe the Baby Einstein stuff.

Any ideas for themes or activities? TIA!

Andrea S
01-24-2006, 12:37 PM
We did rubber ducks for Andrew's. I have seen people do balls or favorite things or music. As far as activities most of the kids at Andrew's first b-day were too young so they just played I did not do any planned activities.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02
& #2 EDD 3/28/06

ribbit1019
01-24-2006, 12:50 PM
My friend did Baby Einstein for her son's first birthday it was really cute. For DD we did a general Princess themed party, but I don't think that would work for you. :)
Pin the whatever on the whatever usually is good for the older kids at the party, musical chairs type games, we did a pinata too.
Really the babies and your baby aren't going to show much interest in activities. Mine was happy socializing and getting passed around from friend to relative.
I spent the majority of my time doing the acitivites for all the older kids that were there (READ: keeping them out of trouble) DD is the youngest of the kids family and friends wise, and I think there were like 15 kids there, 3 and up.
Then the rest of the time I opened her gifts. I wish I would have done that later and visited with people instead.
GL!
Christy
Maddy born 6/09/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png

Little Man due 3/02/06
http://bd.lilypie.com/cKLom4/.png
Co-Owner Ribbit Baby

Frogs are lucky, they eat what bugs them.

buddyleebaby
01-24-2006, 01:03 PM
In our house, every day is St.Patrick's day, so I say if you like that theme, go for it!
For our dd, we are planning (Ok, I am planning, and have been since she was about 4 months old) to do "Abigail Alice in Wonderland." We're setting it up like a mad tea party and only serving finger foods (and lots of dessert). In our case, the guests are either adults or babies around my DD's age, so the only activity I have planned is decorating tea cups w/paint pens. We might do a pinata. I did one for my dh's birthday. We filled it with dollar coins and waited until everyone was a little tipsy. It was a big hit! But I digress...
I think that at this age you can pick whatever theme YOU like. Take the opportunity while you have it. In a few years, who knows what lind of party your ds will want? ; )

icunurse
01-24-2006, 02:07 PM
We did a Little People theme, as it was the only thing that we thought was something DS even really liked at that early age in his life. Check out www.birthdayexpress.com They have a lot of 1st birthday themes that I haven't seen in stores and their prices are good.
Traci
~Connor's Mom 02/2004~
Agency paperwork completed - waiting (and waiting) for another baby!

icunurse
01-24-2006, 02:08 PM
double post - sorry!

CiderLogan
01-24-2006, 02:54 PM
I think a St. Patrick's Day theme would be really cute - it's only 1 day later so not a big deal in my book. But if you don't want to go for that, you could also do:
-Baby Einstein, as you said (I saw some cute BE plates, etc. at Party City, plus you could have the DVDs playing in the background)
-a certain color and have all the balloons, paper products, and maybe even foods that color
-a "1" theme with 1 balloons and 1's made out of construction paper or cardboard hanging around.

I agree that you should just pick something cute that you like, as he'll likely have strong opinions in later years! I personally like to go the non-character route too (we did a pink and green theme for my DD's first to match her birthday dress, and we did a bubbles theme for her second and gave out bubbles and used a bubble machine in the front yard). For the toddlers, I would put out some sort of activity (related or not related to the theme) such as putting stickers on paper (we put out bubble stickers and happy birthday stickers for kids to put on paper "bubbles" I made at my DD's 2nd, and they also liked decorating their plastic cups with stickers). But mostly the kids will probably just like playing with your son's toys, so at this age I wouldn't stress about planning a lot of activities for them, IMO. Just be sure to have fun toddler snacks and cake. :)

Jenny
Mom to Julia, 8/03
...and another GIRL due 5/29/06!

Tondi G
01-24-2006, 05:12 PM
There are a bunch of "First Birthday" themed party good out there! I think I will be using this one for Aidan's first Birthday in May! I just like the colors!

http://www.birthdaydirect.com/birthday-party-supplies-birthday-bears-parade-c-33_244.html

here is a link to all the first birthday stuff

http://www.birthdaydirect.com/1st-birthday-c-33.html?osCsid=8c80a216381ab040021397f304055221

we used the Hugs and Stitches first birthday boy stuff for Mason!

Oh and the site Birthday Direct has been GREAT! We've used them every year.... great CS!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

kcgirl
01-24-2006, 08:34 PM
Tondi, those are cute.

I think I just saw those at Target today???

Hippoharbor
01-25-2006, 03:33 PM
Thank you for posting the link for this site. My DS's 1st bday is on 2-12 and I just ordered "THE DOG" first birthday for his theme. My order did cost much more than if I had gone to my local Party City, however they mostly have just cartoon characters for themes. I think DS will like having doggies on his party goods (if he even notices).

Michelle

fredsmom
01-25-2006, 03:56 PM
You will be right at the beginning of March Madness, so how about a basketball theme?

Enjoy,
Kathleen

jamsmu
01-25-2006, 04:56 PM
We hired a local music instructor and he held a class for the kids--very helpful as it added something to do for the toddlers!

I'm not into themes, I just decorated really colorfully. My center pieces were beachbuckets filled with sand and tied balloons to each. But I used a picture of DS on a horse for our invite, so I gave each child a cowboy hat from Oriental Trading Co. as a gift.

jayali
01-25-2006, 05:04 PM
We didn't really have a theme. Because of the time of year we did an outdoor party and decorated "fun". I am not much of a "theme" person. DS nursery has no theme. So I say that you should go with the St. Pats idea, especially since the attendees will be mostly adults. I think cute little St. Patrick's day hats for the kids (and adults) will be great and look awesome in the pictures.

Have fun.

shannonG
01-26-2006, 11:23 PM
We did a monkey theme birthday party. Martha Stewart had a birthday edition magazine out before last summer that I used to steal lots of ideas. It was a lot of fun to plan. I even dressed Nathan in the Gymboree line that was monkey themed!! We did his party at a park under a shelter. It was so hot (90 something degrees) and so that put a damper on things...but everything else I planned turned out well. I did my best with the cake even though it was some what melted. I did green and yellow table cloths and made my own streamers which were actually made to look like vines. I twisted the brown paper bag type paper that you can buy in rolls at Michaels to look like vines and added paper leaves (that I cut out) with tape. I wish I had a picture. It turned out really good. I bought some bamboo type place mats (at the dollar store) and some coconuts and bananas for center pieces...and some Runts bananas and Reeces Pieces candies for treats (in little bowls) on the table for added color. I also made my own palm tree by rounding out cereal boxes and connecting them together for a tree trunk. I covered it in the same paper that I used for the vines and then uesd wire coat hangers to support the palm leaves that I made out of poster paper. I bent the hangers and taped the leaf cut-out poster paper onto them. It worked out great!

Sorry for the rant!!! I just had so much fun!!!!! I had to share. I included some attachments of the pictures from his party. I can't find anymore good ones at the moment. Good luck!!!! Lot's of fun!!! Good for a little Monkey...boy or girl!!!

CecilysMom
01-27-2006, 12:15 AM
Your monkey party is too cute!!!

icunurse
01-27-2006, 12:10 PM
In case anyone else decides to order from bithday express, try and find a free shipping code (will save you a fair amount). Like I said, the prices for plates, cups, napkins, etc were less than at the local party stores like Factory Card and Party City (which surprised me), but shipping costs may have affected the overall good prices a bit.
Traci
~Connor's Mom 02/2004~
Agency paperwork completed - waiting (and waiting) for another baby!

shannonG
01-27-2006, 03:57 PM
Thanks!!! It was really a lot of fun, and there is so much you can do with it!

Tondi G
01-27-2006, 07:56 PM
OH MY GOSH... your monkey theme party looks fabulous! SOO CUTE! Good Job mama!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05