PDA

View Full Version : Need advice... WWYD?

Radosti
01-24-2006, 08:11 PM
A really close friend of mine told me that she went in search of BabiesRUs gift card as a gift for Aaron's arrival, but since it was holiday time, they were all out. Above my objections, she told me that she and her fiancee are sending me out a check as a gift for Aaron. I repeated that she didn't need to give us gifts, but she insisted.

Well, I just realized that I never got it. Now, I am in a weird position. Do I tell her that I never received it? If I sent someone a gift, I'd want to know if they never got it. However, what if she changed her mind and never sent it? Then, if I ask about it, it would be like asking for a gift.

However, if I don't say anything and she thinks I got it... then, I will appear to be ungrateful.

What should I do???

Sillygirl
01-24-2006, 08:14 PM
Well, if she sent a check and never saw it cashed, that would be a big clue to her that you never received it, and she could ask you about it if she wanted to. So I would not say anything, because it seems more likely she either forgot or changed her mind, and it might embarass her to be reminded of that.

Saartje
01-24-2006, 11:25 PM
I would broach the subject something like this:

"Friend, I know I said you didn't have to send us a gift for Aaron, and you still don't, but you did say you were going to send a check. I just wanted to check on whether you had sent one, because one hasn't arrived, and if you did send one, I want to send you a thank you note."

Just make sure that if she says she didn't send one after all, you sound really cheerful and relieved, so it's clear that you weren't fishing for a gift and simply wanted to give proper thanks.

KBecks
01-25-2006, 09:57 AM
Agree with Katie, that's exactly how I'd handle it.

ribbit1019
01-25-2006, 10:03 AM
I wouldn't say anything either. She would notice if a check wasn't cashed. Or at least most people would.
If it is really going to weigh on your mind then I would approach it as PP said. Possibly not the thank you angle, though that is important, I would be concerned that someone else cashed it.

Christy
Maddy born 6/09/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png

Little Man due 3/02/06
http://bd.lilypie.com/cKLom4/.png
Co-Owner Ribbit Baby

Frogs are lucky, they eat what bugs them.