PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor teak furniture

SJ mom
01-25-2006, 12:44 AM
Can anyone tell me of a site or store that I can get a good deal on outdoor furniture.

I am considering teak furniture. Any comments regaring the maintenance of teak outdoor furniture? How often do I need to sand it or oil it???
Would you recommend it?

Thanks

octmom
01-25-2006, 09:28 AM
I don't own any teak, but if you are looking for a good price, you might consider something called nyatoah wood insetad of teak. I understand that it is much less expensive and the look isn't terribly different. It also requires oiling. My mom was looking at a teak set around a year and a half ago and I found one online for her that looked very similar but was less than half the price since it was nyatoah wood. Hers stays outdoors all the time and is holding up very well.

ETA: Not sure how you feel about Wal-mart, but here is an example:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3267156&cat=133117&type=1&dept=5428&path=0%3A5428%3A91416%3A133117

HTH!

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
DD is scheduled to arrive via c/s on March 21! :)

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

o_mom
01-25-2006, 09:46 AM
We have some of the nyatoah and it has worked well. Target usually carries it in the Spring/Summer. Also, World Market has a good selection.

We oil the outdoor stuff each year - you can tell it loses it's protection, but we also leave it out all winter. On our enclosed porch about every 5 years. I have never sanded it, but I guess if you had a rough spot or something you could.

zuzu
01-25-2006, 12:04 PM
We've gotten some nyatoah pieces from World Market and IKEA, and have been happy with them. I've seen some decent prices on teak pieces (I'm pretty sure they were teak) at a Crate & Barrel outlet.

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

kellyotn
01-25-2006, 02:03 PM
We have both teak and nyatoah, I believe. They are very similar. We got a smokin' deal at Eddie Bauer a couple years ago on a large table and chair set. Sadly, I think they no longer sell furniture. Our smaller "end tables" are from Cost Plus. They were very inexpensive. Target's stuff is also very nice looking, and goes on sale often. We have a bench from there. I wish we had an IKEA nearby, I bet they have good deals. Tuesday Mornings also have things occasionally. (We got really nice anarondac (sp?) chairs there.)

We've oiled them about every other year thus far. We do try and bring them to the basement over the winter, but it doesn't always happen. My DH has loaded the table into his truck and taken it to a car wash to blast some of the buildup off. Works great.

So far we've been very happy with teak / nyatoah for our outdoor stuff. I like that its not plastic, and that we don't have cushions to mess with. It does fade quickly from the reddish color to a dull gray, if that matters to you. The oiling will darken it, but it fades back pretty quickly.

HTH!

jayali
01-25-2006, 04:49 PM
We have a teak outdoor set from Smith and Hawken. No deals there this time of year, but if you can wait they run sales in the late summer.

We leave ours out, covered in winter. Our back deck gets blazing sun all afternoon so I feel like our set really gets a beating. We have it powerwashed in the Spring. Sometimes we oil it and sometimes we don't. I like it both ways. It always comes back beautifully when we do oil it, even if we haven't done so for a year or two. Our set will be 8 years old this Spring and looks great still.

I say go for it!

SJ mom
01-25-2006, 10:24 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

Which do you like better teak or nyatoah?

kellyotn
01-25-2006, 10:36 PM
Honestly, I have forgotten which piece is which type of wood, I just know I saw each type when I read the care tags. :P

If we assume the more expensive stuff is teak, it is a bit smoother (tighter grain?) and seems heavier.... But, I'm sure it could be different grades, different finishing processes.... I'd highly suggest doing a google to be sure!