PDA

View Full Version : Need your help mamas! Should I switch pediatricians?

chiqanita
01-25-2006, 10:45 PM
I've been seeing pedi #1 since the twins were born 17 months ago. We really like his partner and we like the nurses. DH picked him when I was on bedrest, he is near DH's work. Early on I wanted to switch to a pedi closer to home but this pedi made things easier for him to come along to all the appointments. He has a small office and smaller examining rooms, they're pretty old, too. He is a nice guy, we like him a lot but not sure we want to continue going to his office.

Pedi #2 is about 5 minutes from our home. Has a great office, separate entrances for well and ill visits. Examining rooms are decorated with bright colors and lots of murals. She comes highly recommended by a neighbor and a mom's referral website. I like her and she is very gentle with the boys. Doesn't hold them, examines them on my lap. Has 3 female partners and a nurse practitioner.

I took DSb to her back in October when he had a full body rash. Pedi #1 said it could be a reaction to vaccs. Pedi #2 diagnosed Roseola so did my sister (not a doctor just mom of 4).

DSa has had an eye stye since Dec 10. Pedi #1 prescribed warm towels for weeks 1 & 2. Week 3 he prescribed antibiotics. Last week things weren't any better so he referred us to ophthamologist. We took him to pedi #2 for a second opinion last week, she prescribed another antibiotic and eye ointment but agrees that we should see an opthamologist if it doesn't get smaller. After 4 days of meds it's actually looking a little better.

Today DSa broke out in a blotchy rash and fever of 101.9. Looks like a reaction to the antibiotic. I called nurse on duty and we were instructed to see the doctor tomorrow morning. Where do I go? Do I return to the pedi with all DSa's history? Do I return to the pedi who prescribed the last antibiotic. I didn't expect to make this decision under duress (sp?) and I don't know what to do. I'm confused and need your help. What would you do?

Sorry, so long. If you got to the end, thanks for reading!

marit
01-25-2006, 11:14 PM
Go to the one you trust his/hers judgment best. Only you can answer that question, just look deep in your heart and ask yourself whom you trust more. I think you know the answer already.

Good luck,

kristy
01-26-2006, 06:15 AM
I think I would go back to ped #2. I like the sound of her office and it is good to have a neighbor recommendation. See how she handles this new rash/reaction. If you like her answers, switch.

Kristy

chiqanita
01-26-2006, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the input Kristy. I'm going to do that today.

chlobo
01-26-2006, 09:56 AM
If you're second guessing ped #1 so much that you are going for second opinions I would definitely switch. Otherwise, what's the point? You'll end up paying twice and be twice as aggravated b/c you have to go to the dr. more.

chiqanita
01-26-2006, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the input. We're just too attached to pedi #1 and he did good by us for a long time it was just two weird situations that frustrated us. One with each child. I'm liking the idea of two waiting rooms and being 5 mins away.

chiqanita
01-26-2006, 06:14 PM
Thank you. I looked deep and I do know, it's just a big decision for us.

Tondi G
01-26-2006, 06:50 PM
I would probably switch. First off when your kiddo is sick it's nice to have a ped close by. second I wouldn't want to find myself second guessin my ped and getting 2nd opinions.

I would take him back to the ped who prescribed the medication!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

cchavez
01-26-2006, 09:57 PM
My DS is prone to styes too, we have gone the warm compress and antibiotic route too. My eye doc. told me to go to walgreens and buy eye scrubs...they are special soapy pads used to clean his eyes. We use them whenever we see a stye coming on and they work great! hth

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=12315&catid=19264&trx=29067&tab=1#1