PDA

View Full Version : Any Palm Beach County, Florida People?

HIU8
01-26-2006, 10:42 AM
DH and I are toying with the idea of moving to FL. We have family in Orlando and Pembroke Pines. However, we have heard some really nice things about Palm Beach County. I'm interested in schools, housing, accessibility to shopping etc...

Thanks,
Heather
DS 11/27/04

Lynnie
01-26-2006, 12:26 PM
bump...

only because I know there are a few BBBers up there from a post I did last fall about whether I should leave for hurricane wilma or not. (I did, and am glad !!)

I live in miami, but my grandmainlaw used to live in west palm, and DH has a friend who lives up there, and it seems like a nice place to raise kids. Can't really help you any more than that, oh, and maybe that it would be close enough to the relatives in pembroke pines to see them frequently, but not on top of them.

And, it does seem newer and nicer than things down here in Miami, but we don't live in a typical suburban area, so my reality might be a lot different than someone who lived in the burbs.

Good luck !

darebear
01-26-2006, 02:40 PM
I would advise against Pembroke Pines, we currently live there and will hopefully be moving to Palm Beach in August. It is overcrowded and housing prices are insane. A report just came out this week that in order to own an average home in this area you need to earn $100,000 per year. The schools are very overcrowded, my son started kindergarten this year and when I went for orientation his class had 50 children with 2 teachers. And this is for an "A" school. One of the schools in the area that everyone tries to send their kids to, have triple classes beginning in kindergarten, groups of 60 kids, 3 teachers, one regular size classroom. We ended up pulling him out and putting him in private school.

JTsMom
01-26-2006, 04:54 PM
I'm a few miles south of PB, in Broward County. My sister livesin Lake Worth, and my parents lived in The Acreage for a while (both in PB).

What a pp said about the insane housing prices is 100% true for all of South FL right now. There is a lot of talk about the bubble bursting, b/c prices are so over-inflated right now. If you decide to move, wait! Or at least don't buy right away. If you're looking for a 3/2 condo, expect to pay around $250K+ if you want to live in a nice area. If you want a 3/2 single family house, expect to pay at least $350K.

There are some great schools, and some not so great schools- it all depends on the neighborhood you live in. My sister loves my nephew's school. I *think* the name of it is Discovery Key- I know it's on Lyons Rd. You might want to check greatschools.net for more info. My nephew's kindergarten class has 20 kids, an amazing teacher, no overcrowding, and is brand new, but that is the exception, not the rule.

There is tons of shopping- you'll never have to drive more than 10-15 miles to find a mall, at least 20 grocery stores, and anything else you are looking for.

HTH. Let me know if you need more info.

MichelleRC
01-26-2006, 07:06 PM
I just moved to Orlando (new job for DH) after living in Palm Beach County for several years.
Email me and I will be happy to answer any questions!

hautemama15
01-26-2006, 09:30 PM
I am in south Florida, not Palm Beach, but I do alot of driving around there and as far as that particular part of living there, it is TERRIBLE!!! Driving here is misery anyway, but Palm Beach County is one fo ther worst!! Not sure about schools, etc..

Alys the Cat
01-26-2006, 11:30 PM
Hi, Heather. I live in southeast Palm Beach County and work in western Broward. IME, Palm Beach (at least my corner of it) is less congested and offers an overall better quality of life than does Broward.

We happen to live in a great school district, but schools can vary significantly from neighborhood to neighborhood. A-rated elementary schools are fairly common, but good middle and high schools are tougher to come by.

As PPs have said, housing prices are outrageous, as are property taxes and insurance costs. We bought in 2001 (thank goodness), and our home has more than doubled in value since then. We couldn't afford our neighborhood if we were looking to buy now, and we are a two-income family! I think the further north you go, the more you get for your money.

As far as shopping goes, there are plenty of malls, as well as all the usual big-box retailers (Target, TRU, Home Depot, etc.). You'd also have access to specialty shops and groceries, like Whole Foods.

I have lived in South Florida almost all my life, and it has evolved a lot -- not necessarily for the good. If you need more info, you can PM me!

Good luck with your decision...

HIU8
01-27-2006, 01:01 PM
Thank you everyone for your input. I have never lived in FL but have gone there at least twice a year since I was 6 months old because, of course, my grandparents moved there. Anyway, both DH and I do not really like the Pembroke Pines area. I prefer Davie or Plantation if I were to move down that far. DH likes Orlando. My mother now lives in Pembroke Pines to be close to my grandmother. We had both heard nicer things about Palm Beach County.

We live just outside of DC in Maryland--where housing prices are sky high and there is no end in site. You can't touch a house in a decent area for under $500,000 now. and that is not even a big house. We were fortunate to get a 4 bedroom 1 car garage home (a bit off the beaten path) for just under $500,000 a year and a half ago. $350,000 would pretty much buy us a condo around here--which we considered, but realized that we already would be overcrowded. It just so happens that our elementary school is really good, but the jr high and high school that our neighborhood goes to are not as good, so DS will be going to private school if we stay here. Our reason for moving, if we decide to do it, is so that maybe I can stay home or work part time and actually be able to raise DS instead of taking him to daycare from 7 am to 6 pm daily. Plus, we would liek to have another DC soon. And DH would like a bit of a slower lifestyle (he works 6 to 7 days a week and DS and I see him for dinner and a few hours on the weekend and that's it).

Heather
DS 11/27/04

JTsMom
01-27-2006, 01:17 PM
Well coming from that market, anything's an improvement! If you wait until at least summer, or maybe even the end of the year, the home prices are going to start to decline- at least that's what the pros are saying.

Compared to Pembroke Pines, PBC is much nicer, imo. I grew up in Cooper City (right next to PP) and it has REALLY changed down there. It is SO over-crowded, the traffic is terrible, people are rude, and the schools are going to pot.

Palm Beach is growing rapidly though, and in 10 years will probably look much more similar to Pembroke Pines. You could always go a little further north- like Stuart or Port St. Lucie. That'd probably be about 1/2 way between PP and Orlando.

hautemama15
01-27-2006, 01:36 PM
whats wrong with Broward's "quality of life"??? We have a couple of the best A rated high schools and Cooper City, Davie, and SW Ranches are wonderful! I drive in Palm Beach County quite a bit since my brother is living there right now and I find it way more congested than Broward. Especially western Broward in the Davie area.

hautemama15
01-27-2006, 01:40 PM
Davie is great, depending on where you get, the more west the better, but the more expensive. Plantation is great too. I used to live there. A little more congested than Davie or Cooper City, but very nice overall. But, both are very expensive places tp live. Plantation also makes you buy city garbage bags and recycling bags which are pricey. We lived there for almost 3 years and I do miss it. We are moving to Orlando in April, well right outside Orlando anyway. The median proce for a home here is around $400,000. It is outrageous. I don't like Pembroke Pines either, so don't feel alone. If you are looking for a slower lifestyle, South Florida isn't really slow at all. BUT, I have to say if I were going to stay here I would pick Cooper City or Davie.

hautemama15
01-27-2006, 01:43 PM
I have to agree, Cooper City has become more crowded, but so has everywhere in Broward. BUT, it still doesn't seem as crowded here compared to PBC to me. And, Cooper City has GREAT schools. Most are A rated. It is a really family oriented place. I know lots of people who live in Cooper City and wouldn't trade it for anything other than the outside Orlando area.

hautemama15
01-27-2006, 01:45 PM
How do you like it?? We are moving there in April, probably around either Windermere, Davenport, or Clermont area. I live in Broward so I am looking for either better or similar

jd11365
01-27-2006, 02:08 PM
Davenport and Clermont are still far out from anything. It's getting built up, but it's not close to much. Windermere is beautiful, and close to things, but very expensive.

darebear
01-27-2006, 03:00 PM
Cooper City does have great schools, but like most of Broward they are over crowded. Embassy Creek is so over crowded, in both kindergarten and 1st grade they have to combine 3 classes, while yes there are 3 teachers, there are still 60 children in one class. We share a zip code with Cooper City but are on the Pembroke Pines side. We are moving further north as well hopefully by August.

To the OP, we moved from Rockville in October 2004 and while I complain about how crowded it is, I do like it alot better than Maryland. You could also check out the Weston area. Before we decided to move further north, we were going to buy there.

MichelleRC
01-27-2006, 03:12 PM
We are in the Winter Park/Oviedo area (so east of the areas you are looking at), and we love it so far. There is a completely different feeling here than in South Florida. Traffic is a little insane, but we are really happy we made the move. Let me know if you have any other questions!

hautemama15
01-27-2006, 03:36 PM
yes, I do agree, just about all schools in Broward are overcrowded. My DD high school classes are way too crowded and they don't even have lockers or books to take home except in 3 classes. It's crazy!! She is a Junior in high school and has never had a locker, even in middle school and has not had an at home book very often even in elementary school. Definitely some changes needing to be made in south Florida in general.

HIU8
01-27-2006, 03:39 PM
We are in Rockville now. While I do like it here a lot (I grew up here), I'm getting tired of it taking 25 minutes to go 2 miles every time I drive out of my neighborhood.

We may consider Weston as well. DH really likes further north. A few years ago a friend moved from a small townhouse in LA and built a house just outside of Orlando.

Heather

darebear
01-27-2006, 04:13 PM
I know I can't believe that they don't have lockers in middle or high school. My cousins go to Nova, and the one in high school said they are given 2 sets of books, one for school and one for home. There was some talk a couple of months ago about having some schools go year round, 9 weeks on 3 weeks off, even at some of the brand new schools that are already overcrowded, but I don't think that is going to happen. And now I can't believe they are thinking of pushing the start date back to the end of August or even September, all the camps end the last week of July, I don't know what working parents will do.

Mommy_Again
01-27-2006, 05:07 PM
We've lived in PBC county for almost three years now and love it. We are in Palm Beach Gardens ("the Gardens"), which is towards the north end of the county. It is probably one of, if not THE, fastest growing cities in the county. There is construction everywhere (fortunately for my Bob the Builder obsessed son, who thinks it is his god-given right to see a Scoop or Lofty on every street corner b/c of all the building here!)

As you know, housing prices are astronomical- but that is everywhere in SF and really all of Florida. Our house has appreciated $200-250k in the two years we've owned it. If you like what I call "cookie cutter" communities (all the houses look the same, small lots), there is a ton to choose from in many price ranges. If you like older homes with character in more neighborhood-y areas, you'll have a harder time. Those are either really expensive, or really small (and sometimes both).

Florida schools are typically not great. There are some A-rated elementaries in the Gardens, though. Palm Beach actually has really great magnet programs for high school- art, business, finance, medical, etc. Very highly rated. We're hoping to do private school through middle school (if we can afford it!) and then magnet for high school.

The Gardens has GREAT shopping. The Gardens Mall is pretty upscale- Burberry, Louis Vuitton, Tiffany - but also regular mall clothing stores too. They just built "Downtown at the Gardens" across the street with a movie theater, Whole Foods, and tons of restaurants and retail. There are several really cute shopping centers with boutique-y clothes and great restaurants.

Another popular area is Wellington, which is out west. Some people don't like it b/c it is so far West, but prices are a little better, the shopping is getting really built out, and there are a lot of families.

Jupiter and Tequesta are nice too. Those are the two most northern cities before you get into Martin County. Tequesta is a sleepy little city, mostly older homes (cute though), and just a very peaceful place. Built around the intercoastal waterway, so it's getting expensive. Jupiter has some affordable inland neighborhoods but lots of pricey things on the water too. The schools up there are probably some of the best in the county. Tequesta is a little hard to get to b/c it's tucked away behind the intercoastal- 15-20 mins to the interstate, but you can easily take surface roads too.

As for the traffic- I don't think its that bad, but I grew up in Miami and lived in Atlanta so it's all relative. The worst problem is probably all the snowbirds who shouldnt be on the road anymore! It is a lot more congested "in season" - Nov-May. I-95 has been under construction for years and there is no end in sight, but it's really not that bad IMO. Then again, I not on it everyday.

My DS is in an amazing preschool at a Methodist Church - very hard to get into b/c it is so popular, but you get preference if you are a church member.

I can't really speak about southern Palm Beach County (Boca Raton, Delray Beach, Boynton Beach). Boca is pretty expensive (but everywhere is). I like the feeling up here better - more laid back. In the middle of the county is West Palm Beach- this is where all the beautiful, older homes are- I love them but they are out the roof on price. The semi-affordable ones drift into questionable neighborhoods safety-wise. But the downtown area is nice- a big outdoor mall called CityPlace that is fun.

Unless you live out west (Wellington, Acreage, Greenaces, etc), you are only 15-20 minutes to the beach. Juno Beach is the town just north of the Gardens and they have the most beautiful beach, allows dogs, quiet and clean.

I am going to end my novel now, but PM me with any specific neighborhood questions if you are searching online. I have several aquaintance friends that are realtors but I've never worked with them, so I can't vouch for how good they are. But I'll be glad to provide names.

Good luck!

ETA: just wanted to say it was in the low 70s and sunny today- can't beat that in January!

mariza
01-28-2006, 12:10 AM
I moved to Delray Beach 4 years ago and am in Boynton Beach now. I love the weather at this time of year, detest it in the summers! I love my neighborhood and my neighbors and my little house but those are the only things I love.
I hate the traffic, I find it difficult to meet people that I have things in common with I find most people are rude and won't give you the time of day. (Except my neighbors who are awesome, but mostly older than us)
Once at the supermarket an old lady literally shoved her shopping cart into me yelling to "move on" while I was waiting for my change. Another time an old man came up to my car at Costco's Gas station and starting yelling and banging on my window because I took too long for his liking to get out of the car (I pulled up to the pump and realized my card wasn't in my wallet so I was fumbling through my bag for 30 seconds). I could give you more but I won't.
I'm not a beach person so that whole lifestyle is wasted on me. DD is only 1yo, but I'm worried about the schools. At work I get to talk to a lot of Palm Beach County Deputies and they all tell me that they would not raise their children here and tell me move to NC, TN or GA where most of them are moving to.
I find healthcare to be seriously lacking (although I finally found a good Pediatrician at Pediatric Associates in Boynton Beach)
Sorry if this is negative, but you asked for experiences and this is mine. As a matter of fact we are moving back to MA as soon as I list and sell my house hopefully in the next 2 months.
I tried to give it a chance and there are good things about FL, but both DH and I work a lot to be able to pay the outrageous property taxes, auto insurance, etc. so we never actually get to do anything fun.
I hate the cold, but the schools, culture (museums, plays, etc.) friends and sense of community I feel there more than make up for it. Not to mention that my Mom has an empty aptartment available for 1/2 my mortgage payment. We are going to rent from her until the housing rates in MA go down and buy something next year with the profit we make from our house. In less than 2 years our homes value has increased by 80-100k. Crazy!
If I wan't pg with DC #2 and in need of my Mom's help I would definately move to NC. Hopefully we will after we are done having babies. Good luck!

Alys the Cat
01-28-2006, 01:11 AM
Just keep in mind that the MD housing prices you mention are on a par with those in South Florida. Add to that our increasing insurance and utility costs thanks to all the recent hurricanes. Not trying to put a damper on your plans -- just letting you know that the cost of living here is not low, and I wouldn't describe our pace as "slower."

If you're considering Plantation, you might also want to look at Coral Springs or Parkland -- I think they have better schools.

JTsMom
01-28-2006, 08:58 AM
I'm not one to give a lot of weight to the grading system. The only thing an A grade means is that the students did well on the FCAT. It says nothing about the crime rate, teachers, class size, etc.

My sister and I both graduated from Cooper City High, both attended Pioneer Middle, and my sister attended Griffin Elem. My two younger brothers attended Embassy Creek. I have had a lot of experience with Cooper City's schools.

The year my sister graduated from CCHS was the year they had the "Hooker High" scandal. There was a fair amount of drug use, gangs, etc. while she was there.

No school is perfect, and Cooper City's are better than most, but I don't think they are nearly as wonderful as most of the parents think they are.

melissaflorida
01-28-2006, 01:34 PM
Hi,
We live in Boca Raton in PBC and the public schools in my district are terrible. We will be sending DD to private which is a fortune. I agree with PP about older folks driving not paying attention etc.

Summer is brutal hot and humid But it can't stand the cold so I'll take it anyday.

If I had to do it all over again I would move farther north to PGA or Jupiter.

Good Luck!

~Melissa

JMS
01-28-2006, 08:29 PM
Hi Ashley,
Your post made me laugh b/c my mom is so excited about the new Whole Foods that not one phone conversation between us (and there are many daily) ends without her mentioning how great it is. We have a WF's a mile away (PA) and my mom became obsessed with it when she staying with us after DS's birth.
I grew up vacationing in Juno Beach (my grandmother was on the beach) and now spend a lot of time in Tequesta. My parents have a house at Jupiter Hills GC. I really can't compare the area to other parts of FL but I think it really has a lot to offer and the people seem friendly. AND, the Gardens Mall is the best!!! Small world :)

caridura
01-28-2006, 09:50 PM
My SIL lives in your area. We recently visited her and went to the new Whole Foods there. WOW! That is an amazing Whole Foods...I'm so jealous! lol

To the OP...we live in Orlando and really like it. Traffic is not the greatest, but it's better then places like Atlanta or Miami. Orlando is constantly growing and expanding though, so traffic comes along with that unfortunately.