PDA

View Full Version : Food Saver / vacuum sealers -- what features do I need?

kristine_elen
01-30-2006, 08:59 AM
I've read the past threads on these and they sound pretty useful. I saw some at Target yesterday but wasn't sure what features I should have and what I can live without.

I read on a past post that some models can seal jars -- not to be stupid, but what kind of things would I use that for?

Any guidance would be great. Thanks.

dhano923
01-30-2006, 06:45 PM
I bought a Vacuum sealer from Costco when I was expecting my first baby and wanted to freeze food before he was born so we wouldn't have to worry about cooking. I actually use it more than I thought I would!

The model I have vacuums the air out of the bag, then seals it, or I could just use the seal option without vacuuming (for when you are sealing items like potato chip bags or bread). It also came with a canister and tubing so I can put items in the canister and seal it. I use the canister for things like cereal, or sometimes I put a paper towel in and seal lettuce because it stays fresher longer.

My model also came with a bag dispenser/cutter, so you can pull out the uncut bag on the roll and then cut your own size bags, but I find it a bit awkward to use because I can never seem to get the cutting blade in the right spot. I find it easier to just use a pair of scissors to cut the bag size I need. I prefer cutting my own size bags as opposed to buying premade bags because that way I can customize the size to what I am sealing, and not waste extra bag space.

HTH a little!

kristine_elen
01-31-2006, 08:19 AM
Thanks so much!

lynettefrancois
01-31-2006, 10:36 PM
I bought one a few years ago, and usually only use it when I am stocking up the freezer with make-ahead meals. Very useful though. HOWEVER if I'm not mistaken I think there is now a model that lets you vacuum bags with liquid in them. GET THAT ONE if you can find it. With mine I have to put the food in the bag, freeze it while open and hope it doesn't spill, then QUICKLY seal it after it's frozen (small drops of juices defrost quicker than you think). I've never sealed anything that didn't have a little juice/moisture. The instructions tell you to put a folded paper towel near the top of the bag before sealing (ridiculously difficult and time consuming). The other option for me is to buy those expensive containers, but I don't know if they are freezer friendly. I only have a few. I had also wished I bought one with the bag cutter, since I think it takes forever to cut them straight with scissors. And once you cut it crooked, it's so hard to get straight again! The bags won't seal if you are off too much. HTH some!