PDA

View Full Version : Charlie is home from the hospital

Splash
01-30-2006, 01:20 PM
Charlie spent 4 days in the hospital for a multi drug resistant staph infection among other things. The infection is under control now, but another month of super heavy duty abx (which I hate hate HATE but know we have to do) and still no answers. BUT, at least we tamed the infection.

We got some seriously disturbing news as well... and I just do not have the emotional energy to go into it again. It's on my blog, the last five or so posts. ******sonthethirdfloor.blogspot.com

So, still no clue what is wrong with Charlie... but at the the staph is under control.

kaylinsmommy2
01-30-2006, 01:29 PM
I'm so glad Charlie is home! And that the staph is under control. This is great news, and I'll try to focus on that for now. Hugs.

BTW, I've been reading your blog for the last week, but only just now looked at his pictures - he is SO cute! I love the pictures!

Caroline
"ma meee" to Kaylin 6/5/04

http://b2.lilypie.com/9KMlm7/.png[/img][/url]

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
01-30-2006, 01:39 PM
Splash, You guys can just not catch a break! WOW. I am almost never for sueing but in this case I sure would try. At least get some legal advice, these medical bills should not be strapping you and Jean financially. I am so sorry for all that you are and have gone through.
He is a beautiful, beautiful baby.

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 ETA 05-22-06

mudder17
01-30-2006, 01:44 PM
Oh Splash, I am so sorry for all you are going through! I'm also not one to sue, but in this case, it looks like this place needs to be stopped! Charlie is such a beautiful baby and you're right--he deserves better!

I'll be keeping your family in my prayers.

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

psophia17
01-30-2006, 01:50 PM
Super big hugs all around - may it all get figured out and FAST!!!

CBB
01-30-2006, 01:59 PM
I'm so glad that Charlie is home. He is truely adorable! He sounds like such a strong baby. I haven't finished reading all your posts on your blog. But the post where you mentioned another sick baby from a mother with using the same donor really really worries me. Since we still don't know what's wrong with Charlie, and since assuming the donor is healthy, this could be some disease that's autosomal recessive. The donor bank should take this very seriously -- so many people could be hurt by this (maybe the donor himself is not aware of this and may be selling his sperms in other banks). This really sounds like one of those stories you watch in Dateline. On another thought, maybe you can contact Dateline or other national news crew to further investigate. I am so sorry this happen to you. I really hope the Docs figure out what's wrong with Charlie and cure him.

Hoping to hear some good news.

ribbit1019
01-30-2006, 02:02 PM
I am glad to hear that the infection is under control. Hopefully they can figure out what is going on and Charlie can be treated effectively.
Hugs and prayers to you and your family during this difficult time!

Christy
Maddy born 6/09/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png

Little Man due 3/02/06
http://bd.lilypie.com/cKLom4/.png
Co-Owner Ribbit Baby

Frogs are lucky, they eat what bugs them.

elliput
01-30-2006, 02:04 PM
It is wonderful to hear that Charlie is home, however the other news in your blog is horrible! Estelle, my heart goes out to you, Jean, precious Charlie and the other children from the same donor. I think it bad luck to wish ill on anyone, however, I do believe in Karma and I am sure the donor's will catch up with him. Peace to you and yours.

buddyleebaby
01-30-2006, 02:09 PM
I'm so glad he's home! My brother recently had bad drug-resistant staph. Not fun!
I agree that the donor place should have given you full disclosure. I understand your frustration and they were absolutely wrong. But you could have had a PERFECT donor, with perfect health, and still had medical issues- so don't beat yourself up over this.
Charlie is a beautiful, amazing little boy, and you are an awesome mama. I guess I believe that God sends our children for a reason. Charlie is exactly the baby he was meant to be, and you and Jean are exactly the mamas he was meant to have.
(Hugs)

ErinMC
01-30-2006, 02:20 PM
Wow, Susan is right: you and Jean just can NOT catch a break! I'm so glad Charlie is home and the infection is being treated. But the Fairfax info is horrible - I really hope this can get sorted out. I'm not a lawyer but I agree that you should talk to one and see if you have legal recourse.

Sending good thoughts to you all!

Erin

Mom to Chase Feb. 04
... and another little guy coming in June :-)

JBaxter
01-30-2006, 02:20 PM
Glad to hear he is home I hope you get some answers soon

bcky2
01-30-2006, 03:19 PM
first of all big (((hugs))) how horrible to find out what you did and to have to have that on top of not knowing what is wrong wiht charlie. im glad to hear that charlie is home and doing better. i just cant imagine what you and your family are going thru.

kboyle
01-30-2006, 03:38 PM
I am sooo glad to hear that your little Charlie is home. I've just caught myself up on your blog and what they are doing is unbelievable. I also am not sue-happy, but this is a situation that concerns YOUR child' health. You deserve to get answers!!!

Big hugs to you and your family, please keep up updated!!

mapg
01-30-2006, 04:10 PM
I read your blog, I don't know how you are keeping together. He looks like an awesome kid.
MA

Tori_s mom
01-30-2006, 06:09 PM
Oh, sweetie, I just checked your blog. I can't believe what you all are going through. I definitely will keep you, your partner and Charlie in my thoughts and prayers. He is such a beautiful baby.

Hugs,
Tasha

thomma
01-30-2006, 06:31 PM
I'm so sorry that you're going through this. I've visited your blog and Charlie is a beautiful baby! Ds had a staph infection (mrsa+) in the NICU...we felt the same about the antibiotics. He had to have them yet we hated that he had to get them.

Your family is in my thoughts-

Kim
t&e 5/03

o_mom
01-30-2006, 06:46 PM
I was so glad to read that Charlie is home! He looks very much like my DS and I about cry every time I read about him (DH thinks I'm nuts).

I'm sorry you are getting such disturbing news on top of everything else. I hope that things look brighter very soon and you are able to get some answers.

writermama
01-30-2006, 07:55 PM
I'm glad that Charlie is home and feeling better.

I read your blog and I'm sorry you're going through such a terrible time. I hope you find the answers to what caused all of this. It's horrible that you've been getting a runaround. It's unresponsive of them at best, and really negligent not to accept reports of problems, even if the cause is still unknown.

Continued thoughts for you and yoru family. Strength, courage, and peace to you all.

starrynight
01-30-2006, 09:51 PM
Ugh on the antibiotics :(. At least the infection is under control. I'm thinking of you and Charlie. I wish you had some answers.

And many hugs to you after reading everything in the blog. I'm sending all the positive thoughts I have (hug).

brittone2
01-30-2006, 09:53 PM
I'm so glad he's home and doing better. I've been thinking about him ever since your update.

I'm so sorry that you and your partner are dealing with a boatload of other difficult issues right now.

Your family is in my thoughts, and I hope that you can get some answers soon.

JElaineB
01-30-2006, 11:22 PM
I'm so glad Charlie is home. I hope things settle down soon and you find some answers. Hugs.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

Melanie
01-31-2006, 01:19 AM
Oh my. I've read your blog. I'm so sorry. Charlie is a wonderful little boy and truly a gift. I don't think you would be negating that by taking action of some sort against the bank. They need to not do this again. They should be paying for his medical bills, not you.

And I'm so glad that his skin is getting better!

KBecks
01-31-2006, 09:26 AM
I read some of the blog and have been thinking about you. Glad Charlie is home and hopefully feeling better.

As for the "recourse", the best thing I can think of is finding a way to change the regulations regarding how sperm banks operate. If there is a regulatory board, or maybe there needs to be one?

I don't know that the sperm bank can be faulted for Charlie's skin problems, and it's quite possibe the donor is a silent carrier of something, or has something that doesn't always show up.... or Charlie's condition may not be genetic at all... it's just hard to know for sure.

Even with genetic conditions, like Down Syndrome, I'm not sure how the sperm bank protects itself and handles prevention. It seems like anytime a child has an illness, there is a target to "blame". Any child with a birth defect or genetic defect could have it come from either parent, but I think the sperm bank has a high risk of being sued anytime a "purchase" is disappointing. It's so sad, and I personally don't agree with the business for that reason.

But enough about business / medical ethics, I sincerely hope Charlie gets better.

As for not having things going according to plan (genetically matched siblings), well, not being able to have the "ideal" happens in life all the time. (We found out last night that a business associate of my husband lost her 3 year old son on Saturday to an infection.) It sucks, for sure, but people do cope and find new paths that work out.

Anyway, take care and best wishes for Charlie's continued recovery.

janeybwild
01-31-2006, 10:47 AM
I'm so glad that he is home; you've been on my mind. I cannot imagine how scary this is for you all, and hope that you get some answers to it all soon, including the donor issues. I don't know about the legality of it, but the sperm bank seem morally negligent to me in not giving you all available information. I sense that you are a strong personality and advocate for your son. I hope that you will find a way to change the system, one way or another. My thoughts will continue to be with Charlie.