PDA

View Full Version : Lip Balm for a 2 yo?-Update

tina-t
02-01-2006, 03:48 AM
Poor ds has dry chapped lips but whenever I put lip balm on his lips, he wipes it off. I have tried Aveeno, Chapstick and the Bath and Body works melon flavored lip balm but he still does not like it. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Update: Thank you for all your suggestions. I did try the olive oil, aquaphor and vaseline but ds just wiped those off with his sleeve. I found a cotton candy flavored lip smacker at Target and opened it with great fanfare in front of ds. I told him that this is a special lip balm just for him, and how it smelled good and tasted good. I let him smell it first, and he let me put in on his lips. He did not wipe it off! He let me put on his lips several times today too. Yeah! We finally found one that he will agree to use!

Thank you for all your suggestions!

dhano923
02-01-2006, 06:14 AM
Id' be interested in this answer too. My problem is that my 2 year old chews on his lips to get the balm off (basically eats it)! Then he ends up pulling on the dry chapped skin and his lips start bleeding. :(

MichelleRC
02-01-2006, 07:21 AM
My 3 yo has horribly chapped lips and I use either Aquaphor, A&D or a neosporin lip treatment (called Neopsorin LT). I try to put it all over the outsides of his lips (like where lip liner would go :) ) Those are about the only things that work. I find the greasier texture works better than the lip balms.
HTH!

trumansmom
02-01-2006, 08:25 AM
When DS was 2 the Brownie Fairy sent me some Tootsie Roll lip balm. DS LOVED it! Until recently, it was the only thing I could put on him.

HTH-
Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04
Independent Consultant, Do-Re-Me & You!

octmom
02-01-2006, 08:39 AM
Plain old Vaseline or Aquaphor or Lansinoh seem to work best for us. When I notice DS's lips getting dry, I try to slather it on a few times during the day. He often gets a good rub of Aquaphor on his cheeks, under his nose, and on his lips at night before bed. He's got the kind of skin that gets red and wind-burned very easily, but a little Aquaphor always does the trick overnight.

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
DD is scheduled to arrive via c/s on March 21! :)

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

Marisa6826
02-01-2006, 09:07 AM
We've had great luck with Neosporin LT. It's right by the rest of the lip balms, and works very well. Sophie actually asks for it several times a day (she has horribly chapped, bleeding lips).

If all else fails, you can dab a little olive oil on. Really!

-m

CiderLogan
02-01-2006, 09:53 AM
We use Aquaphor or else Burt's Bees lip balm (DD loves the bees).

Jenny
Mom to Julia, 8/03
...and another GIRL due 5/29/06!

writermama
02-01-2006, 11:09 AM
I found a beeswax based lip balm at my local health store that my DD loves. It's made by Honeybee Gardens and her favorite flavor is Vanilla Pie (though they also have a yummy tropical and orange mimosa). The ingredients are: beeswax, coconut oil, jojoba, sweet almond oil, vitamin E, and flavor.

I worried that she would "eat" the balm and end up with lips chapped worse than before, but it seems to work just fine. She does lick some of it off, but it still manages to moisturize well. And she loves the flavor, so she reminds me to reapply it. ;)

I see on the tube that they have a website: www.honeybeegardens.com

We tried Burt's Bees but she didn't like it -- it has a kind of menthol-like ingredient that stings a bit.

Any natural lip balm could work, you just want to avoid the ingredients that are added to help "penetrate" -- they work great for adults like us, but sting too much for sensitive little ones.

HTH,

omgrown
02-01-2006, 02:19 PM
Alba botanicals makes a great lipbalm that comes in coconut and I think a pinapple flavor. It works really well too, its in a tube like a chapstick. I got it at the health food store. I haven't tried it on DS, but I get horrible chapped lips and its been working well for me this season. Alba makes some of the best products IMO.

22tango
02-01-2006, 02:56 PM
Karenna also bites her chapped lips and we've been working on getting her to use balm instead. She likes the Burt's Bees because of the "bees" on the tube. But I also found a CHOCOLATE lip balm recently by GanacheForLips (www.ganacheforlips.com) at a local store. She is thrilled when I put chocolate on her lips!

Don't know if it'll work for your DC, but you might want one of those for yourself! LOL :D

aliceinwonderland
02-01-2006, 03:13 PM
I use Labello for me, DH uses Burt's Bees for himself, and DS will "extend" his lips to whoever is using her own thing, so that's what we do, put some of ours on him. I realise it's probably bad from a hygene point of view, but such is life.

murpheyblue
02-01-2006, 03:22 PM
Pure shea butter. We use it on sore noses too.

jbowman
02-01-2006, 03:29 PM
>I use Labello for me, DH uses Burt's Bees for himself, and DS
>will "extend" his lips to whoever is using her own thing, so
>that's what we do, put some of ours on him. I realise it's
>probably bad from a hygene point of view, but such is life.

Ahh, Labello! Love it!

We use Kiehl's (for babies? kids?) or whatever we have on hand (Labello, Burt's, regular Kiehl's--I'm a lip balm junkie, LOL).

AdoptChina
02-01-2006, 03:42 PM
our pediatric dermatologist said to use aquaphor on DDs lips....that has worked much better than the other things we have tried

hautemama15
02-04-2006, 08:03 PM
well, if you needed any other suggestion, my DD has used Carmex forever. It is the only thing that works for her for some reason.

caheinz
02-05-2006, 01:35 AM
Burt's has a honey balm now, too. First ingredient is shea butter, if I'm remembering right (the one in my pocket is the original mint).

Might be another to try... DS like the minty one when he see Mommy use it. I haven't had the honey one in my pocket yet (just "restocked" my stash at Christmas!).

supercalifragilous
02-05-2006, 02:14 PM
Lanolin (Lansinoh) works the best for us, b/c she won't wipe it off since there's no taste.

Even if she did try to wipe it off, it won't be gone completely since it's so thick and the residual is enough to keep her lips moist and keep the windburn at bay.

I also use Alaffia pure shea butter lip balm. It's pure shea butter with some extract (depending on what "flavor" you get). But I noticed that skin absorbs the shea butter really fast so it won't work against windburn but it's a good treatment to repair the lips.