PDA

View Full Version : Easy, healthy, cheap meal that can be made and frozen in mass quantities?

samsonsmom
02-01-2006, 06:01 PM
I know about 20 people who are pg. and due in April, and I'm thinking I better plan ahead to deliver a number of meals. I was just wondering if any of y'all have recipes for something that I could make a huge, huge amount of ahead of time, and then take family-sized portions out of the freezer as the babes show up.

Oh - and we live in Florida, where soup weather is pretty much behind us by April. :)

Momof3Labs
02-01-2006, 06:07 PM
I have a super-yummy turkey meatball recipe. You can easily make a big batch, and they freeze well in a big ziploc bag. It is easy to warm them up with some pasta and tomato sauce (or whatever appeals to the family, since everyone has different tastes)! LMK if you want it and I'll post it tonight.

momto2boys
02-01-2006, 06:20 PM
Amy,

I came across this link (here I think) for freezable meal ideas:

http://busycooks.about.com/od/makeaheadrecipes/a/freezecasserole.htm

I haven't tried any of them but they sound yummy. I plan to make a few for personal use before our new baby arrives.

HTH,

Kathy

DS #1 - 12/01
DS #2 - 11/03
DS #3 - edd 7/06

omgrown
02-01-2006, 06:25 PM
Not to hijack the post, but I'd love the turkey meatball recipe. Sounds like something my family would love!
Thanks!

kimbe
02-01-2006, 07:56 PM
How about spinach lasagna, baked ziti or jambalaya? (I make a very healthy chicken jambalaya or a veggie jamba.)

HTH!

Edited because I don't know how to spell healthy :)

writermama
02-01-2006, 08:09 PM
Thanks so much for posting this! I've been having a week of "uh, what should I make for dinner?" and no ideas.

I took a look at these recipes and there are at least 3 or 4 I'll try in the next week or so. If we like them, I'll start making and freezing them. Even if we don't like them so much, at least it will solve the problem of deciding what to make for a few nights.

Mamma2004
02-01-2006, 08:12 PM
Would you mind posting your recipes? The HEALTHY chicken jambalaya definitely appeals to me!

Thanks!
Stephanie

kimbe
02-01-2006, 08:40 PM
Chicken Jambalaya

1/3 cup chopped celery
¼ cup chopped onion
1 chopped green pepper
1 chopped red pepper
2 medium tomatoes chopped
1 ½ cup chicken broth
2/3 cup brown rice
1t basil
1 clove of garlic
¼ t pepper
¼ t Cajun seasoning
1 bay leaf
1lb cubed chicken breast

1. Cook cubed chicken breast in a skillet.
2. Add celery, onion and peppers and cook until tender
3. Stir in tomatoes, chicken broth, rice basil garlic powder, pepper, seasoning and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is tender.

This is the original recipe. I usually double this recipe and add whatever veggies we are in the mood for. If we aren’t feeling like meat, I don’t add the chicken. All in all it is really a "whatever you feel like doing" recipe.
Here is what else that I add sometimes:
½ bag of frozen broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, green beans and/or peas
½ of a cucumber

Spinach Lasagna
I follow the recipe on the back of P&R Lasagna Noodles. I don’t use eggs in my filling. I just add enough water to make it spreadable. (A tip that my Dad told me is that you don’t have to boil the lasagna noodles, just soak them in hot water from the tap while you are making up the filling. It really works well.)

Baked Ziti
1 box Ziti Pasta
8 oz part skim mozzarella cheese
16 oz part skim ricotta cheese
½ t parsley
½ t basil
½ t oregano
½ t crushed red pepper
1 jar of spaghetti sauce

1. cook pasta
2. Mix mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese, and spices. Add a little water to thin out the mixture.
3. Add pasta and sauce and mix well
4. Pour into a 9x13 baking dish
5. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

If something doesn't make sense, let me know! Sometimes what is in my head doesn't come out so well! :) I hope that they work for you!

Momof3Labs
02-01-2006, 09:50 PM
Here you go!

Chicken (or turkey) Meatballs

8 servings

2lbs ground chicken (or turkey)
2 large eggs
1 small onion, minced
1 large garlic clove, minced
1-1/2c water
1-1/4c plain dried bread crumbs
1/2c chopped fresh parsley leaves
1/2c freshly grated Romano cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4c extra virgin olive oil

1. Preheat oven to 450deg F. In large bowl, combine everything BUT olive oil just until blended (mixture will be very moist). Pour oil onto a plate.

2. Dip hands in oil, then shape mixture into 2" meatballs, oiling hands as needed to prevent sticking. Transfer meatballs to two jelly-roll pans. Place pans on 2 oven racks; pour 2 cups water into each pan. Roast meatballs 20-25 minutes or just until they lose their pink color throughout.

pritchettzoo
02-01-2006, 10:13 PM
I lurk on a recipe board over at Baby Center, and this casserole always get rave reviews. I have it in my file, but I haven't tried it yet. One recipe makes 2 casseroles.

Friendship Casserole
(Sandy-Bettyinthekitchen)

2 lbs. ground beef
1 (48 oz.) jar spaghetti sauce
2 T sugar
1 (16 oz.) package medium egg noodles
½ cup margarine or butter
¾ tsp. onion salt
¾ tsp. garlic salt
½ cup grated parmesan cheese
12 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Brown meat, drain fat. Add spaghetti sauce and sugar to meat; simmer 20 minutes.

Cook noodles as directed (al dente): drain and toss with margarine, the salts and parmesan cheese.

Spray two 9 x 13 pans with non-stick spray. In both pans layer half the sauce, all the noodles and the rest of the sauce; top with mozzarella cheese.

Cover with foil; bake 45 minutes.

Note: One of the casseroles can be frozen. Thaw before baking.

Link to the board:
http://parentcenter.bbs.babycenter.com/board/preschooler/pnutrition/9267

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03) and Eli (July '05)

mharling
02-01-2006, 11:38 PM
My favorite family friendly/freezes well/easy to make recipe is Chicken Tetrazzini.

1 1/2 cups water
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
3 3/4 cup egg noodles (I use Basil & Garlic Linguine)
1 cup frozen peas or peas/carrots
1 cup cream of mushroom soup
2 cups chopped, cooked chicken
3/4 cup parmesan cheese

In large skillet over high heat, stir together water, milk and butter; heat to boiling. Stir in uncooked noodles until thoroughly coated with liquid; stir in vegetables. Return to boiling; cover. Reduce heat to low. Stir in soup, chicken and cheese. Heat through, stirring occasionally.

Mary - Some days work. Some days don't.

g-mama
02-02-2006, 08:17 AM
Hey Anna - I lurk there too! I've never posted but have gotten many great recipes there. :) I used to post on the birth clubs boards on BC but since I found this place, I've never gone back.

~Kristen

Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03
Marco 12-05

dhano923
02-02-2006, 01:36 PM
How about chili and cornbread? You could make up a big batch of chili and freeze it in smaller portions. then when it's time to take it to the family, pull out a portion of chili, bake some cornbread and they have a fresh meal.

I'd also say lasagna, enchiladas, or any type of casserole. Freeze a bunch of trays and take them out as needed.