PDA

View Full Version : Special ed in SF Bay Area

crl
02-03-2006, 09:38 PM
Bit of a long shot, but some of the SF posters have been so helpful in the past. . . .

We're moving to the Bay Area in Aug. 2006. DS, age 2 1/2, was just found eligible for special education services. That finding will travel with us to CA.

So, which school districts in the Bay Area are best for special education? Especially pre-school through early grade school?

DH will be working near the Civic Center so we could go with SF or on a BART line. (We've been seriously considering Berkeley and Rockridge, but the special ed. elibility is a new wrinkle.) (I've posted to mothering dot com and the Berkeley Parents Network too.)

Thanks!

kath68
02-03-2006, 11:15 PM
Catherine -- Please PM me (yours is turned off). I have a friend who knows the ins and outs of special ed/school districts in the Bay Area. If you give me a little more info about what kinds of programs you are looking for, I can get you some pretty specific feedback.

My uneducated guess is that Berkeley and Rockridge both would be good. Walnut Creek and Lafayette, too. I would stay away from Mount Diablo.

crl
02-04-2006, 12:53 PM
Thanks!

ralu
02-07-2006, 01:47 AM
Just saw your post. There's a yahoo group for Bay Area parents of special needs kids:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/peninsulaparentssnk/

I think it's mostly Peninsula/S. Bay but not really sure. You can always ask to subscribe and then ask questions.

Raluca

crl
02-07-2006, 01:04 PM
Thank you!