PDA

View Full Version : Need new series to get from Netflix

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
02-04-2006, 08:03 AM
After 8 pm my life is basically about television (sad but true). With the slim pickins on regular tv right now I am looking for a series to get from Netflix. Just finished Project Runway which I was surprised to have really enjoyed. Any ideas welcome, thank you!

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 ETA 05-22-06

deenass
02-04-2006, 08:48 AM
Sex and the City
24 (if you don't mind violence)
Dynasty
Newlyweds (talk about mindless fluff!)

leanng
02-04-2006, 09:05 AM
I really enjoyed Sex and the City as well as 24. I would add Gilmore Girls.

LeAnn

Mom to Alex

tarahsolazy
02-04-2006, 09:48 AM
The Amazing Race! They have season one, which is one of the best Races (along with 3 and 4, IMO). They also have season 7, which is a little Meh, but still entertaining.

kensjen
02-04-2006, 09:51 AM
Right now I am watching the first season of Dallas! LOL It is cracking me up. I actually don't mind 3am nursing sessions, lol.

pritchettzoo
02-04-2006, 09:53 AM
They have BBC's Coupling. It's in my queue. I've seen parts of each season on BBC America and think it's funny. :)

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03) and Eli (July '05)

mudder17
02-04-2006, 09:59 AM
Monk (hilarious and great for lighthearted TV)
24 (again, if you don't mind the violence)
6 Feet Under (although I've only seen the first 2 seasons, I think)
The Wire (if you want something that is "real" and "gritty". But it has bad language and violence--I watched it because my former colleague co-wrote it and it is extremely well done, but again violent and has bad language)

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

writermama
02-04-2006, 10:06 AM
I love that show! (It's a comedy usually described as Sex in the City meets Friends.) The writing is really sharp (at least for the first 2 or 3 seasons that I've seen).

And it always amazes me that the British cast is able to say things that would be kinda trashy if it were an American actor reading the line, but with the way they say it, it ends up sounding cute.

kellyotn
02-04-2006, 10:51 AM
Sex and the City
Sopranos (lots of violence, but very good)
Fox's "Arrested Development", so sad this is cancelled. Its very clever.

My little brother got me hooked on fx's "Rescue Me" with Dennis Leary - VERY good. I'm not sure if its on DVD, but its very worth it. I didn't think it'd get into it at all, but I was wrong. Has very good relationship storylines. Its a show that stays with you. Can't wait for the new season!

We are watching "Twin Peaks", its odd, but I like seeing it to see what all the fuss was. (I didn't watch it in its day.)

I'm not into reality TV, so I can't help ya there. ;)

JTsMom
02-04-2006, 11:12 AM
We like The West Wing. There are TONS of episodes.

bostonsmama
02-04-2006, 12:27 PM
If they have the Family Guy (an adult cartoon series in case you aren't already a huge fan)...I'd put that in my queue (sp?)

I also really liked Entourage on HBO...the first season is great and Hollywood addicting. Many real celebs play themselves. I also really liked Rome (the newest HBO series).

Larissa
***Cheers! Here's to better luck in 2006!***

"Children have never been very good at listening to their elders, but they have never failed to imitate them."
-James Baldwin

kellyotn
02-04-2006, 12:32 PM
Entourage is another one my brother got me hooked on! Forgot about it. It is very good too! Another one I didn't anticipate liking at all.... guess I need to give my brother more credit. ;)

Corie
02-04-2006, 03:36 PM
That's funny because I just got done adding Project Runway
to my que at Blockbuster. :)

I'm really liking season 2 so I thought I would go back
and watch season 1.

By the way, the Bravo channel is always replaying the season
two's episodes so it would be totally easy to tivo them to
catch up.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
02-04-2006, 04:19 PM
Kelly Rescue Me is my all time favorite too.
I am trying to catch up before season 3 starts but the only way to get season two right now is to buy it bootlegged. I somehow can not make myself do that, like the video police might show up at my door! Dennis Leary is wonderful!

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 ETA 05-22-06

Twins2000
02-04-2006, 05:11 PM
Buffy the Vampire Slayer. My husband and I are currently into the 4th season (there are 7 in total). The show was sooo well written, well acted, and (especially the first 3 seasons) a lot of fun to watch. We really are enjoying watching it (again)!

Sex in the City, Sopranos, Six Feet Under (first 2 seasons we liked the best) and Gilmore Girls are good too!

Leslie

jgriffin
02-04-2006, 05:12 PM
We've been watching "All Creatures Great and Small", which is an old BBC production from the 70s. I read the book when I was a kid, and I absolute love the series.

The only problem DH had with it, originally, was that one of the main characters later played Dr. Who. I think it took a couple of episodes to see him as a vet, not a Time Lord :)

Jen

Toba
02-04-2006, 05:18 PM
CSI: Crime Scene Investigation (the original) ... any of the seasons, but season five with the two part season finale directed by Tarantino is awesome.

I could watch Sex & the City over and over.

I don't know how soon you get new releases on Netflix, but the first season from the best show on TV right now is coming out on February 14th ... Grey's Anatomy!

~Kimberly Anne~
Noah Nevan, March 12, 2004
*the light of my life*

MayB
02-04-2006, 07:34 PM
Freaks and Geeks, a great, under appreciated, too soon cancelled show about high school students in the early 1980's. Great blend of comedy and drama and only 18 episodes in all.

Also agree with The Amazing Race recommendation, especially season one.

hwin708
02-04-2006, 09:43 PM
Veronica Mars is definitely one of the best new shows on TV in a looong time. And if you don't believe me, look at reviews from just about any TV critic out there!

Corie
02-05-2006, 12:01 AM
I totally forgot about Veronica Mars!! I have been a fan
since episode #1. I love this show!!!

kboyle
02-05-2006, 12:05 AM
I'm going to put the first season of Lost on my queue. Can't believe no one mentioned it, but then again, I think everyone in the world except for my family watches it.

If you every watched Party of Five, they have season 1 on netflix, I think that's the only season they put on DVD.

If Family Guy is on there, try it out. we actually own all of the seasons and I HATE "adult" cartoons and think this show is hilarous!

they also have Doogie Howser MD on there (I got a few of them, loved the show when it was out!)

all the other ones that i can think of have been mentioned

I'd love to get Dynasty, I remember watching it with my mom when I was little :)

traciann
02-05-2006, 12:23 AM
We love alot of the ones above, but one of my very favorites is Wonderfalls. Its came out a couple of years ago, and was canceled several episodes in. It totally cracks me up!

Traci

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
02-05-2006, 07:31 AM
Thank you everyone for the great ideas! I don't know why I can not find any info anywhere on when seasaons 2 of Deadwood and Rescue Me come out, these are what I really want to catch up on before the new seasons start in March.(?). Think I am going to check out The Wire, thanks!

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 ETA 05-22-06

redhookmom
02-05-2006, 01:21 PM
I am working on Northern Exposure right now. It is my treat at night. I try so hard to only watch one!

aliceinwonderland
02-05-2006, 01:42 PM
Do you mind subtitles? If not, I have a 6 hour DVD just for you!

"The Best of Youth" (La Meglio Gioventu, or something like that in Italian, though it sounds gramatically incorrect). Supposedly one of the best films of 2005, at least to the New York Times dude, though it actually was a mini-series for Italian TV in 2003. I have been waiting for 6 months for this to come out on Region 1 DVD, which it will, On Feb 6th :) Mini-party at my house!!

Edited to add that I also love several of PBS's Masterpiece Theater series, especially Daniel Deronda, and the Forsyte Saga...

aliceinwonderland
02-05-2006, 01:43 PM
I'm a COupling fan too!! Also, as far as BBC shows go "My Family" with the dentist guy? We like that one too.

LBW
02-05-2006, 07:50 PM
Long Way Round
The Office (British Version)
The 1900 House
Colonial House
Frontier House
Manor House
Touching Evil
Prime Suspect
Absolutely Fabulous

Most of these are British series or mini-series.

Puddy73
02-05-2006, 10:21 PM
I'm not usually a SciFi fan, but the Firefly series is pretty good.

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/08/03 & Finn 10/31/05

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane." - Jimmy Buffett

marit
02-05-2006, 11:51 PM
Coupling. Hilarius.

COElizabeth
02-06-2006, 12:52 AM
Oh, I love Northern Exposure!

I am not sure if it's available, but another show I really enjoyed was Sports Night, about an ESPN-type show. I am not a big sports fan, but it was so well written and acted (starred Felicity Huffman, among others) that you really didn't need to care about sports at all to watch it.

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
and Charlotte, 11-04-04

jennifer_r
02-06-2006, 08:28 AM
I'm another Northern Exposure fan too- I only discovered it in reruns about a few months before it went off the air so I didn't get to see all the episodes. Got way too hooked on it - was taping it everyday. I was thrilled when it finally came out on DVD.

Other t.v. shows I would say were must have:
Twin Peaks (until the murder was solved - after that it's not as good)
BBC Coupling - one of the funniest shows ever, reminds me of Seinfeld in its writing style
The Prisoner - 60's British show, too hard to explain but highly addictive and critically acclaimed (there was some list awhile ago about the most influential pieces of media (songs, movies, tv shows, etc.) and Prisoner was voted #1 tv (the voters were artists, musicians, etc.)).

Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04
Bronwyn 11/9/05