PDA

View Full Version : Back to Sleep after 6 months on tummy?

samsonsmom
02-05-2006, 09:36 AM
When DS was about a month old, for a couple of weeks he pretty much cried nonstop and wouldn't nap during the day. Somehow, we finally figured out that he HATED being on his back. I think he fell asleep during tummy time or something. So we started putting him down on his tummy for naps, and he slept really well. In fact, sometimes I would TRY putting him on his back and he would be hysterical within a few minutes (this was even with swaddling with one of those special blankets so they can't get startled by flailing arms), but if I flipped him on to his tummy he would be asleep within a minute flat.

For a couple of weeks, we were still putting him on his back at night, but after a while he got so he wouldn't sleep on his back at night either. Since then, he has been a tummy sleeper. I know---higher risk for SIDS, but our rationale has been "well if he won't sleep on his back, then we have to do something."

This month's issue of American Baby (I think it was that one) had an article about SIDS that got me nervous again. They quoted this ped. saying that when parents tell her their baby won't sleep on his/her back, she tells them (not her words) to suck it up and put them on their back anyway.

I know the SIDS risk goes WAY down after 6 months, but I'm wondering if I should try to get him to sleep on his back again. He still hasn't rolled from back to front, but I'm guessing he would figure it out pretty quickly if he found himself stuck on his back...so I'm guessing he would ultimately fall asleep on his tummy anyway.

Do you think it's worth it to try going "back to sleep" at this point?

I'm also wondering if others whose DC hated being on their back could share their experience. Did you stick it out and somehow get the baby used to it (and if so how?), or did you give in and put them on their tummy?

I know someone who lost a child to SIDS could be reading this, and if so, I just want to say that I am so, so sorry if this post brings your grief to the surface again. I can't even imagine what it would be like to go through that experience, and as I post this I am sending a prayer your way.

JBaxter
02-05-2006, 09:48 AM
Please dont flame me for this either but Nathan has slept on his tummy since 8 weeks old. I dont think he slept more than 1 hr at a time before that and one night I was so exhausted when I put him back in his cradle (by my bed) I must have accidently put him on his tummy. He slept 5 hrs I completely freaked out and sat staight up in bed. I discovered he has a exagerated startle reflex and when on his back any little thing woke him. Since that night and really even now he sleeps primarily on his tummy. Thats how he liked to sleep I guess he felt safer that way. He also started to semi roll at 8 weeks he was crawling at 6 months. I'd say if thats how he likes to sleep at this age go for it.

Piglet
02-05-2006, 12:29 PM
We have 2 tummy sleeping kids and 2 tummy sleeping adults in our house. We genuinely tried back sleep with both kids. DS1 slept horribly until we accidentally in a very sleepy state put him on his tummy... he slept great and we did too. DS2 was a back sleeper for longer, but only because we co-slept a fair bit in the beginning, so we didn't feel comfortable with him on our softer mattress AND on his tummy. He learned to roll VERY early (his first nickname was Flippy von Flippenstein). Next thing you know, he was sleeping on his tummy by his choice (by then he was not in our bed so we ddn't fight it either). I think that if you suddenly tried to back sleep a tummy sleeper, he would figure out how to roll over very quickly (in between loud complaining that he hates being on his back, as my DS1 did whenever we tried to put him on his back) and you would be back to having a tummy sleeper. Most experts say that once baby can roll over you don't have to go and roll them back. If it would make you feel better to have DS choose how he sleeps once he learns to roll over, then by all means try to teach him to roll or try him on his back, but be prepared for some sleepless nights and a lot of crying - we tried to go back and we couldn't do it (and that was just the following couple night, not many months later).

buddyleebaby
02-05-2006, 01:00 PM
My dd prefers to sleep on her side. The day she was born they put her down to clean her and she rolled to her side and still does everytime. That's just the way she's comfortable. Still we always put her down on her back and when she rolls to her side I kind of re-position her so she's "mostly" on her back.
At your ds's age, you could try to get him used to back sleeping if you feel it is important, but I have to tell you that he's probably going to be rolling over any day now and then there's nothing you can do. You can't stay up all night and roll him onto his back everytime he moves. Just thinking that at this point you may not ever see the fruit of your labor.

kijip
02-05-2006, 01:16 PM
I assume that your son can roll over now (7 + months old). As such I don't think you could get him on his back even if you wanted to. He will roll onto his side or tummy! Past 6 months I really would not give a second thought to letting him sleep on his tummy as long as his crip is clear of extra soft stuff (like pillows, teddy bears, extra blankets etc).

emilyf
02-05-2006, 01:45 PM
Both of my kids were/are tummy sleepers (and great sleepers at that!). It's worrisome I know, but your risks have really gone way down and once babies can roll over, it's pretty much up to them anyway.
Emily mom of Charlie born 11/02 and Zoe born 9/05

dhano923
02-05-2006, 03:59 PM
My DS hated sleeping on his back from the time he was born. It got to the point where he refused to sleep and that would make them cry harder, I guess because he was so tired and cranky! After about 3 weeks of DS waking up every 30-45 minutes, every night, I finally called our pediatrician and he told me to try putting him down on his tummy. It worked like a charm! He was asleep in less than a minute and slept a good 3 hours. The ped told me that some babies like to feel that pressure on their tummy because it helps to expel gas too. He would sleep anywhere from 3-5 hours on his tummy. DS is now 27 months old and still prefers to sleep on his tummy.

My DD is almost 12 weeks old and we started putting her on her tummy when she was a couple weeks old. She wasn't too thrilled to be on her back either, so I thought she might be like her brother and prefer tummy sleeping. She hates to lie on her back to sleep, and the only time she'll lie on her back is when she's playing on her gymini mat. She sleeps soundly when on her tummy, and she's good about rotating her head in her sleep so she's not sleeping on one side the whole time. Her crib is in our room so I'm able to check on her too so I don't worry. She sleeps through the night consistently, like 8-9 hours at a time. :)

Oregonmother
02-05-2006, 04:57 PM
We had the same dilema with DS, and after about 1 week of no sleep for all of us I put him to sleep on his tummy after ok'ing it with the pediatrician. My pediatrician didn't have a problem with it, granted my DS had horrible colic (he said he sees one case that bad a year). He still didn't sleep more than about 30-45 minutes on his tummy, but it was better than zero sleep on his back. I now have a 2 week ols DD who refuses to sleep anywhere other than in my arms. I am considering trying to put her on her tummy to see if that helps, but I also just read that article in American Baby and it scared me too. DS is almost 2 1/2 and still prefers sleepong on his tummy. Sorry not much advice, but I am in the same boat.

bluestar2
02-05-2006, 07:50 PM
DS as an infant was colicky and hated sleeping on his back and needless to say, sleeping and napping were hellacious times for us the first few months. I tried everything but he pretty much screamed until he was so exhausted that he fell asleep. He rolled over at about four months and slept wonderfully on his stomach. I would put him down on his back and he would roll right over and fall asleep. The ped thought it was fine to leave him be since there wasn't much I could do about it anyway other than to stand there and keep flipping him back. I think if I had to do it all over, I might have let him sleep on his stomach earlier but it really depends on your comfort level.

overcome
02-05-2006, 08:02 PM
I was in the same boat as you. I started putting her on her back with naps where I could constantly monitor her. I wouldn't do it at night. I wouldn't be able to sleep!!

I was desperate for sleep. DD was up several times a night (sometimes every hour).I made an appointment with the ped. in hopes she would have some suggestions. When I told her DD would sleep on her tummy, she said "do it!" Once she said that it was like someone gave me permission and I never hesitated or gave it another thought. Now DD is sleeping for anywhere from 5-8 hours at a stretch. She will wake once or twice to nurse. It is soooo much better.

I'm sure you've heard many ppl say "we all slept on our stomachs and made out fine!" but it all depends on your comfort level. Sleep deprivation can make you crazy.

Good luck!
Ashley