PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: THANKS --Can you help? Flat Screen TVs: LCD, High Def, and brands

chiqanita
02-06-2006, 10:29 AM
JUST WANTED TO THANK ALL OF YOU FOR THE HELP.
We're off to look at these televisions more carefully and armed with research.

Hi mamas and happy Monday to you!

We've just decided to get a new television, a flat screen for our family room. We know absolutely NOTHING about them.

If you have one, can you offer some tips and suggestions? We don't want a large one, I think we want a 40"? We're also looking for a stand. Saw a couple of nice ones with mounting ability which will be great around the twins. Oh, but the small cabinet doors have glass windows and DH very worried about DSs breaking it.

I appreciate any info you can share. I will be looking at CR today to start my research. One more thing, Costco has a nice model right now for $500 off regular price.

TIA!

proggoddess
02-06-2006, 11:15 AM
Check out the reviews at Cnet.com. They have a lot of helpful (and free!) articles on the differences among the competing technologies, price points, etc. The reviews are also pretty thorough, but they only do the top brands and models. So they might not have anything but specs for the more obscure TVs.

elliput
02-06-2006, 12:02 PM
DH and I were looking at LCD TV's a couple of weeks ago and were very, very impressed with the picture of the Sony Bravia series (models that begin with KDLV). It is an amazing picture. However, to go along with the amazing picture is an equally amazing price tag. The next best pictures were also Sony (KLVS models) and Toshiba. We were pretty impressed also with the Westinghouse models - they seemed like a decent picture for a decent price.

We went with the Toshiba. ;-)

Momof3Labs
02-06-2006, 12:13 PM
Definitely look at Consumers Reports - they just did a report on this for March 2006, I think (I was looking at the issue yesterday at my parents' house). Lots of current info there!!

BillK
02-06-2006, 12:27 PM
Samsung makes some nice DLP hd tv's. We have a 50" HLR-5067w and it's nice and you can get a nice looking matching stand. They do make a 42" version of it as well I believe.

renefjr
02-06-2006, 12:27 PM
We have a 42" plasma. I would recommend LCD. No worries about burn-in. Also, if you're not too set on mounting the tv on the wall, look at the new sony sxrd line of tvs. Although it isn't as thin as a plasma or LCD, they are about 19" deep.

overcome
02-06-2006, 12:31 PM
Check out the Sony Wega series. My parents did a lot of research and this is what they went with. It is wonderful...especially in high def.!

Ashley

kristenk
02-06-2006, 01:03 PM
We purchased a 42" Samsung DLP. DH did lots and lots of research and ultimately decided that DLP was the technology for us. I think that plasma tvs can have really bad burn-in problems. I guess the drawback of our tv is that the viewing angle is a bit more limited. The picture is great if you're looking at it while sitting on the couch, but if I'm on the floor watching, the picture's not as bright. It's not bad, but it's definitely something to keep in mind as you're tv shopping!

newnana
02-06-2006, 02:01 PM
We have this same one and love it. DH did insane amounts of research on all the options and landed on this one for many reasons, only 3 of which I can remember:
1. excellent picture
2. durability. While this shouldn't be a concern on a tv, there are little fingers in the house. That would be a problem with the LCD and plasma from what I understand. Of course, we don't let DD near it, but she's not really mobile yet...
3. highly tested, new technology. Again, I'm not sure of the details, but there is a chip in the Samsung DLP that is stellar.

Now, there is an excellent question as to where you purchase. As much as we hate them, we purchased at Best Buy so we could get the service plan. It's a few hundred dollars (ouch) but well worth it with this one for one big reason: the bulb. There is an average lifespan of the bulb in there of about 3 years depending on how many hours per day that you use it. The projectors bulb costs as much or more (about $350) than the service plan. There is one use of the plan. DH and I had to call the service guys out for some goofy thing with our front panel. That was unexpected, the bulb we expect. Any other service we might need on it will warrent a new tv according to their policy... just something to think about.

I highly recomment epinions for info.

Good luck!
Michelle

KrisM
02-06-2006, 02:42 PM
We don't have one, but have done a small bit of research for down the line.

For size, the aspect ratios will be different. So, a 40" (diagonal) with a 16:9 aspect ratio, will only be about 20" high and 35" wide. While a 26" "standard" TV with a 4:3 ratio, will be about 16" high and 21" wide. Something to think about.

Also, are you looking for a flat screen or flat panel? A flat screen can look like a regular old TV, but without the curved screeen. A flat panel is only a few inches thick.

lisa56308
02-06-2006, 02:56 PM
Keep in mind that dlp, lcd and plasmas all look great if you are head on and they are at the right level (for sitting). Once you get off to the side, lower or higher than sitting position they get dark and you don't get a good picture. (This is why you see large screen tvs with something under the front to angle it for a good standing view.) We have a flat screen 36" Sony XBR that is a couple of years old. She's a beast(236lbs!), but the picture is divine. I can be way off to the side and have a perfect picture everytime. Good luck in your search and be sure to look at as many as you can irl at many different positions!
Lisa
Jacob 6/95
Tyler 10/03

urquie
02-06-2006, 06:56 PM
this article is a must read! it really helps you figure out what type of tv will work for you.

daniele_ut
02-06-2006, 08:08 PM
LCDs currently on the market really don't have a terrible off-axis problems. We have about 100 LCD screens of differing sizes in our inventory at work (I work for a large Audiovisual Department) and we frequently use them for program monitors where they might be on the floor behind a modesty rail with people seated in chairs in front of them looking down at the monitors and have no issues. Some now have a 175 degree axis of viewing.

Here's a link:
http://www.flattvpeople.com/tutorials/viewing-angles.asp