PDA

View Full Version : Vitamins/Omega 3s for 3 yr old

spanannie
02-06-2006, 01:46 PM
My nutritionist suggested Fish Oil and a Multivitamin for my 3.5-yr-old. I bought Rhino Daily Grubs Multi. from Whole Foods, but it does not say dosage for a 3.5-yr-old. Do I go ahead and give him 2--the 4-yr-old dosage?

On the Fish Oil, I bought Nordic Naturals Children's DHA chewable soft gels--which does say for Children 3 and up--and the dosage is listed as 4-8 softgels/day. How many would you give per day?

He also suggested a Viactiv chew daily.

Anyone have any thoughts/experience with this? Thanks!

chlobo
02-06-2006, 01:50 PM
DD is 2 and we give her4 of the Nordic Naturals. I would say start with that and see how itgoes.

Don't know about the other things. Just curious why the nutritionist recommended a calcium supplement?

spanannie
02-06-2006, 02:00 PM
My son doesn't drink milk, hence the calcium supplement. He does drink quite a bit of Cal. fortified OJ, though, which I think should suffice. I guess this guy is big into calcium, as he also has me taking Cal. powder...Yuck. I do trust what he says, though, since he has done wonders for my health and well being--and I've dropped weight as a bonus--just through vitamins and supplements. He's actually a Nutritional Oncologist, but he treats non-cancer patients, too.

Does the Nordic Naturals make the children burp or have fish aftertaste? The Fish Oil always gives me that result. He hasn't minded thus far, but I have only given him one, LOL. So, how can you tell if they need more than 4? Do you see a difference when using them? What kind of difference?

alkagift
02-06-2006, 02:56 PM
We give our son, who weighs 35 pounds, 2 of the Nordic Naturals a day. With all the other things he eats (flax, salmon, omega 3 fortified eggs) we don't feel that it's necessary to give him the full dose as recommended by the bottle.

Allison

spanannie
02-06-2006, 03:04 PM
I guess that I should be giving mine the dose of 4 then...he eats no salmon, no flax, and eggs only once a week. He is also around 35 lbs.

Thanks!

alkagift
02-06-2006, 08:50 PM
Keep an eye out for diarrhea, the NIH did some trials with adults and some had some some intestinal issues with higher doses...that would be my clue to take it back a tad.

YMMV! :)

Allison
Mommy to Matthew, who is TWO!

Are you TTC and want to share with BBB friends? Join us! http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/BBB_TTC/