PDA

View Full Version : Things to do in LA Area with 16-mos-old?

SweetTooth
02-06-2006, 03:50 PM
DH & DS are going to tag along as I attend a work conference next month. We'll be staying two nights at a hotel in Century City, so I am looking for things DH & DS can do while I'm at the conference during the day (not too far so they can go back to the hotel for naps, etc.). Anyone know of fun shopping areas, restaurants, museums, parks, etc. in the area?

We're then going to extend the trip & be in Santa Clarita/Valencia, near Magic Mountain. Is Magic Mtn a good place for a toddler? Any other suggestions for local attractions (theme parks, zoos, beaches, etc.) within a somewhat reasonable driving distance? We're thinking we'll wait to go to Disneyland until DS is older.

Thanks in advance for any input!

chiqanita
02-06-2006, 04:28 PM
Hi
Well LA's my old stomping ground, moved in '98 but visit family every year.

These are places I liked and you might, don't pay no mind about the 'star' sightings unless you're into that kind of stuff (no offense intended, I've seen a couple and always get excited...even approached one a we both waited to be seated. I think all of you will like these spots but especially the pier. Will you have a rental car?

Shopping and restaurants:

http://www.seeing-stars.com/Shop/CenturyCity.shtml

Fun, Restaurants and Shopping by the sea:

http://www.santamonicapier.org/

http://www.seeing-stars.com/Shop/ThirdStreetPromenade.shtml

I recall there being a restaurant with a submarine theme in Century City...can't remember the name but your hotel might.

Restaurants/Chains I miss from CA: Pollo Loco, Marie Callendars, TOGOs, and the little hole in the wall places I can share but you'll have difficulty finding them.

Magic Mountain and Disneyland are great for your toddler but MM is geared more towards teens and up. MM has the Looney Tunes area for little ones. Everytime we went (quite a bit) we always stopped at the petting zoo. I think it might even be 'calmer' compared to Disney. Just remember there will be people dressed up in costumes and it might be a little overwhelming for some. We hope to visit this summer for our twins' 2nd bday.

Oh, near downtown LA you there's the Griffith Park Observatory...they have a neat laser show. Also, the LA zoo is small but quite nice. I believe they have a small train for children. If you like libraries, the LA Library is awesome!

Best beaches are south of LA (IMHO): Seal Beach (great little town), Mothers' Beach in Belmont Shore (Long Beach), Bolsa Chica Beach and Huntington Beach (the city side).

Well HTH. Have fun! I think I just made myself homesick! :(

ET make some minor corrections

maestramommy
02-06-2006, 04:34 PM
With a toddler I'd stay away from Magic Mountain. He won't be old enough to go on most of the rides, and it's a high school hangout type of place, a little too gritty for such a tender age. I wouldn't even take my middle school students there. I've heard from some of the kids that there's sometimes drug activity in the parking lot. Knotts Berry Farm is a much better bet if you don't want to do Disneyland. It's like Disney, but much more toned down, a little rustic. It's based on a Camp Snoopy theme is why. Long Beach Aquarium is the greatest, and probably just right for your DS. It's very stroller friendly (I've heard! My moms group is planning an outing there next month). Also, if you don't mind driving closer to San Diego there's Lego Land. That's pretty cool. The L.A zoo might be fun too but make sure you have a stroller, and DH should be ready for a lot of walking. You might want to also check out the California Science Center. It has a lot of hand-on exhibits, but my impression is that it's for slightly older children.

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with Century City, but there should be a huge mall nearby with restaurants and such. You might also inquire with the hotel about nearby places. Have a great time!

SweetTooth
02-06-2006, 04:35 PM
Chiqanita,
Thanks so much for your response! I'll look into all your suggestions. We will have a rental car.

A 2 year b-day celebration at MM for your twins sounds like a blast!! :)

SweetTooth
02-06-2006, 04:41 PM
Melinda,
Thanks for your reply. Sounds like MM might not be the place for us this time around. I'll check out Knots Berry Farm & Legoland. The aquarium & zoo sound good, as DS LOVES animals. It's challenging to plan b/c not being familiar with the area, I'm uncertain how far things are from each other. Even when given mileage on map sites, I know traffic can be brutal & we don't want to be in the car for hours on end. Thanks again for your input!

chiqanita
02-06-2006, 05:02 PM
Hey that's awful about MM. This is where DH and I went on one of our first dates...was a great place back in the 90s. I would trust maestramommy's suggestion since she has teens and all. However, might the daytime be 'safer' and leave by dusk? Just a suggestion.

Knotts is great if you're in Orange County. If you do go there you have to try the boysenberry turnovers and their rhubarb, if you like that kind of stuff. Also, ITA about the Long Beach Aquarium it is a wonderful place.. The beaches I mentioned are south of this Aguarium.

If you are in this area there is a Marine Museum in San Pedro that's small but very nice:

http://www.cabrilloaq.org/

You should also look into Universal Studios...was neat when I lived out there not sure what it's like now.

I believe the key to saving yourselves from being caught in major traffic is to leave for your destination VERY early and to get on the road back to hotel by 2:30 or 3:00 pm or after the dinner rush about 7 or 8 pm. I know, tough with a little one. DH worked in Century City but we lived in Huntington Beach and this is how he kept his sanity in check.

Again, have fun.

chiqanita
02-06-2006, 05:06 PM
Sister has membership at Disneyland so we'll be having our celebration there.

s7714
02-06-2006, 05:37 PM
>I recall there being a restaurant with a submarine theme in
>Century City...can't remember the name but your hotel might.

It closed down back in 1999. It was owned by Steven Spielberg (called Dive!). Not sure why it went under. The food and service wasn't all that impressive when I went so maybe that's why?

As for places to go, I'd recommend 3rd Street Promenade and Santa Monica Pier. The Century City shopping plaza is a good place to catch a movie or shop, but there's not really much to do there other than that.

A fun restaurant to go to around there is Ed Debevic's. It's a 50's themed diner where the waiters are in character (most often with attitude ;) ). They do little performances during the busy meal times and are quite interactive with the customers to say the least. Make reservations earlier in the day if you plan to go during dinner time.

I ditto the PPs about avoiding MM--not really a safe place for toddlers these days.

Jennifer
Mommy to
DD 3/03
DD 6/05

Calling fellow BBB SoCal moms...we'd love to meet you!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/babybargainssocal/

SweetTooth
02-06-2006, 06:16 PM
Thanks again for your responses. That's too bad that Magic Mtn. has changed in recent years. Thanks for the traffic tip. Traffic can be quite bad where I am, but I've heard horror stories about LA's traffic! I'll look into the aquarium, beaches & marine museum. Oh and Universal Studios. I think DH & I would enjoy going there!

A birthday at Disneyland - how fun!! :)

Melanie
02-07-2006, 01:35 AM
I'd pick DL over MM with a toddler.

julieakc
02-07-2006, 02:24 AM
There's not too much for a toddler in the immediate Century City area if you want DH & DS to be be able to return to the hotel for naps. Traffic too/from Century City is rather brutal anywhere near the morning and evening commute times.

Century City isn't very big so you will be very close to the Century City Mall (it's now owned by Westfield); it is an outdoor shopping center.

Beverly Hills is close by if DH & DS wanted to walk around there.

I've never been there, but there is a Children's Nature Institute in the canyons above Beverly Hills:
http://www.childrensnatureinstitute.org/index.html

Not too far away is the LACMA (Los Angeles County Musuem of Arts) and the La Brea Tar Pits/Page Museum http://www.tarpits.org/
The Tar Pits/page Museum might be fun for DS. The museums are surrounded by park areas, and I think there is a playground there too.

Another place I've never been (just learned about it, even though I used to live not far from there) is an Eco Station in Culver City; this would be pretty close to Century City (relatively speaking that is): http://starinc.brinkster.net/ecostation/index.htm

A pp mentioned Santa Monica - the pier and 3rd Street Promenade. Those wouldn't be too far.

I love the LA Zoo and the Long Beach Aquarium but neither is close enough to return to the hotel for naps. The Aquarium is a good hour from Century City in good traffic. The zoo is closer - maybe a half hour - 40 minutes depending on which route you take; and again that's with no traffic issues.

Santa Clarita would be even further away from all of the above mentioned places. There's actually a great ranch in that area with a petting farm, but unfortunately they're closed at this time of year.

The LA Zoo would be a better trip from Santa Clarita...a little further mileage wise I think, but a more direct route and better traffic wise.

As others have mentioned Magic Mountain is more of a teen place, but on a weekday before dark it might be ok; there is the area for little kids. Note, however that MM is not open weekdays except for Summer, Winter Break, and Spring Break. It will be open the last two weeks or March, but then again since that is when schools are out it might not be the best option.

I live in between Century City and Santa Clarita; used to work in Santa Clarita and used to hang out at the Century City Mall when I lived on that side of town.

HTH; you can email me privately if you have any specific questions.

Aunt to sweet baby boy
02-07-2006, 10:31 AM
That is about 5-10 minutes from where i live so i have been trying to think about what we do with avi:

Griffith park has some fun things to do- a petting zoo, horseback riding, here is a link to a site with all the different things you can do there

http://www.laparks.org/grifmet/gp/

There is a really neat science museum, very interactive, it is around downtown LA, about 1/2 hour if there is no traffic

If you just want to hang out somewhere we have some nice small parks that are good for young children

ditto what the pp said about the tar pits, avi loved going there and it is a cool place to go for adults as well

the long beach aquarium is great but if you do not want to go as far there is an aquarium in Santa Monica, it is much smaller but also closer

Westfield mall is also really nice, that is Century City. If you have never been to LA you may want to go see The Grove and Farmers market, it is a very nice upscale outdoor mall

HTH

Ilana

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/4koy/2.png

SweetTooth
02-08-2006, 11:37 AM
I appreciate all your replies & suggestions. Thanks very much!

Tondi G
02-08-2006, 04:30 PM
Looks like everyone covered LA mostly for you! My thoughts are

Santa Monica Pier and 3rd street prominade.... there is also a Bright Child in the Santa Monica area that you might want to visit

www.brightchild.com

There is the LACMA (art museum and right next door the Page Museum ... DINOSAURS!!!!) The Grove is right up Fiarfax Ave and is fun for kiddos (we live 3 blocks away so we're there OFTEN!).... they have a trolley to ride (free) and a cool dancing fountain... and a Pottery Barn Kids store with play stuff! On thursdays they have kids activites so check out their schedule

www.thegrovela.com

Magic Mountain is ok.... more geared to older kids but there may be some fun stuff in the kiddie area for your little one.... I'd check out their website as well and see what height requirements there are etc. They also have a water park at Magic Mountain, Hurricane harbor but I am not sure when it opens or if the weather would be suitable?

HTH's ya!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

SweetTooth
02-09-2006, 02:28 AM
We're trying to figure out the best way to go to a theme park for the day. Does this sound reasonable for say, Disneyland?:
Leave around 8am for a 1.5-2 hour drive, have fun at the theme park from 10-12, have lunch & then hope that DS naps in the stroller from 1-3 (his usual nap time, but he doesn't nap much in the stroller), run around some more, dinner around 5pm, then leave the park to get back by 8-ish (DS's bedtime). Is that enough wake time to enjoy Disneyland? We're not expecting to *see everything*, but just enjoy what we can. Alternately, we could go to a smaller park (Knots Berry or Universal Studios) or get a room near Disneyland & go for two days.

Now some questions re: Vegas. DH & I figure that DS won't remember this trip, but will enjoy all the new sights & sounds. So we are thinking about spending our extra few nights in Vegas instead. I've read past threads about Vegas & wonder if this is a good idea for a toddler. DH & I have been several times, but it's been years & we went dancing & to shows; things we won't be doing this time. But we're thinking it'll be fun to see the new hotels & how the strip has changed. Any thoughts?

As you can probably tell, we're complete novices at this! :)
TIA,