PDA

View Full Version : Need a "device" to put my baby in to watch TV

marit
02-06-2006, 09:02 PM
When DD (3 yo) watches TV she has this mini chair thing that she likes to sit in. Now DS (8 mo) wants to watch with her, and he is envy of her "royal" chair. I used to put him in the bouncer but he is too big for that. He is still small however, for a chair like hers. He can sit up by him self.

I would like to get him something. Any ideas?

Thanks!

new_mommy25
02-06-2006, 09:06 PM
How about the FP infant to toddler rocker?

lmintzer
02-06-2006, 09:06 PM
Our "device" was the Combi Activity Rocker. It's like a bouncy seat, except that it has a sitting position that is much more elevated and it is good to 25 lbs. Joshua used it until after his 2nd birthday (for the last 6 months, without a seatbelt--he would just climb in and sit himself). We've since graduated to a PBK Anywhere Chair.

Depending on your baby's weight, this might work for you. Both of mine used this as their "video chair". They were peanuts, though, and didn't hit 25 lbs. until around 2 years.

http://www.marketworks.com/storefrontprofiles/processfeed.aspx?sfid=96699&i=76475006&mpid=5704&dfid=1

kellyotn
02-06-2006, 09:08 PM
I second the Fisher Price Infant to Toddler Rocker. I've used it from newborn stage. And my 3.5 year old can still use it! Definitely the most bang for the buck in terms of useful life. The arch thing is easily removable.

Its still a must for my 18 month old to use while I shower.

http://tinyurl.com/b2q9n

KrisM
02-06-2006, 09:23 PM
That's what I was going to suggest, too. DS used his from about 8 or 9 months until just recently. Now he prefers his armchair style chair.

marit
02-06-2006, 09:44 PM
DS is already 21 lbs...

marit
02-06-2006, 09:45 PM
Can it sit up straight? MY friend has one and I've only seen it reclined.

Thanks!

kellyotn
02-06-2006, 10:11 PM
You can flip the kickstand put up under it, then it can rock and is more upright. With the kickstand part out, it is more reclined and doesn't rock.

How about one of mini-highchairs you're supposed to strap onto a regular chair? Just use it on the floor? I did this with DD a lot when she was younger and I was working from home. She colored on the tray while I worked. FP makes a nice one, or ours is from The First Years and has a recline adjustment (pretty reclined to totally upright). Its also very sturdy alone, I don't think they could tip it to the side as the base is pretty wide.

kath68
02-07-2006, 09:17 AM
I am not proud of this, but I frequently scooch Charlie up to the t.v. while he is in his regular high chair (he is there right now enjoying Sesame Street). He can happily eat his cheerios and drink his juice that way.

It is also good because the dogs are less in his face about said cheerios. I can then walk away for a potty break, etc without worrying. I have also used the pnp for this, so he can roam a bit and play with toys while watching t.v. But a pnp may not fly with the envy issue.

JulieL
02-07-2006, 09:30 AM
ditto - it's perfect !

jamsmu
02-07-2006, 10:18 AM
We use the high chair, too! At 9 months, we got DS1 a PBK Anywhere Chair. I'm sure we'll do that again.

kijip
02-07-2006, 11:43 AM
I second the high chair if you already have one. I join Kathy in dragging the high chair around for non-dinner purposes!

-Cheap since you have it in hand

-Can leave the room without worrying that he is going to make it across the room and into trouble.

-Tray for little toys/cherrios etc.

Sillygirl
02-07-2006, 02:17 PM
No advice. I just wanted to say that each time I read the thread title, that scene from "A Clockwork Orange" pops into my mind. I don't think that's what you want, though.

ETA: Link in case anyone wants to know what I'm talking about. I can't insert the code without the picture popping up, and I think it should be optional to view. So copy this into your browser:
http://www.aidd.org/droogs/alex-clockwork-orange.
and type "jpg" at the end.

kath68
02-07-2006, 02:34 PM
I like you. I really really like you.

kaylinsmommy2
02-07-2006, 02:37 PM
Yep, this is how DD watched TV before she could sit up well. Plus she was strapped in, which made me feel safer to turn my back on her at times.

Caroline
mommy to Kaylin 6/5/04

http://b2.lilypie.com/9KMlm7/.png[/img][/url]

jbowman
02-07-2006, 02:38 PM
>No advice. I just wanted to say that each time I read the
>thread title, that scene from "A Clockwork Orange" pops into
>my mind. I don't think that's what you want, though.

Glad you mentioned that. It's what we use for Ellie! ;)

jvorhis
02-07-2006, 03:13 PM
Piece of advice with the FP infant to toddler rocker. Don't use it as a rocking chair until they can get in and out of the chair my themselves. My MIL put DD in this chair and she flipped it, she was about 10 months old. Needless to say I was very upset at the time!

ajrivers
02-07-2006, 03:39 PM
How about an Exersaucer?

When I'm letting my 7.5 mo old play in his I usually also put in DVD (Baby Signing Times or Baby Einstein) and he just bounces back and forth between watching the video and getting caught up in the toys on the Exersaucer.

marit
02-07-2006, 05:36 PM
We love the exersaucer in this house! So much so, that my DS start screaming if I get anywhere near it and he THINKS I might drop him there }(

I am actually looking for something he can get in/out of by himself, not necessarily strap him...

marit
02-07-2006, 05:38 PM
You silly silly girl.

aliceinwonderland
02-07-2006, 05:42 PM
Darn, I was thinking of suggesting a co-op for that!! Looks like an essential, umm, tool. Wonder why it doesn't come in registry lists???

Judegirl
02-08-2006, 02:54 AM
That's really, really funny.

:)
Jude

MarisaSF
02-08-2006, 02:59 AM
I beg to differ. That is absolutely NOT optional to view. I can't stop laughing.

I need one for the next Sandra Boynton book I'm made to read.

Thanks for the link.

Eri, I'm pm'ing you about the co-op. :P