PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for baptism present

CBB
02-08-2006, 03:44 PM
I've never been to one so have no idea what to bring. The baptism is actually for a 3.5yr-old boy whom the family adopted from Korea. We won't actually make it to the church program since it will be DD's nap time. The couple is planning a little get-together afterwards at their house which we are planning on attending. What should we bring? Wine, chocolate, picture frame? I would love to get something from Korea but won't have enough time to mail order since it's for this weekend. Any suggestion?

TIA!!

babystuffbuff
02-08-2006, 04:09 PM
We got "My Spiritual Alphabet" by Holly Bea for my niece's Christening last fall, and I think it will be my standard gift from now on:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0915811839/qid=1139432504/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/102-7350903-4680169?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

It's nice because it's not really geared toward one religion or another, necessarily, and it takes something simple and familiar to kids (the alphabet) and builds on it with a spiritual theme. The pictures are great, too, very multi-cultural (if I'm remembering correctly). We also got my niece a savings bond; I just wanted to also get her something that she could enjoy while she was young.

Sarah

Auntie to my seven angels

Tondi G
02-08-2006, 04:13 PM
My first thought was a nice picture frame or maybe a savings bond!

Jen841
02-08-2006, 04:47 PM
: ) I gave this to our nephew years ago

I also bought Goodnight God at the same time. Another good one.

I am all about books for baptisms. Some good Christian ones I have found:
The Legend of the 3 Trees
Jesus and the 12 Dudes that Did
Mac N Cheese, Hot Dogs and Pea -SO CUTE!
I'm Thankful Each Day
Any of the PAtricipa Pingry books are good

We have various children's bibles too.

Evan received The Rhyme Bible Storybook for Toddlers (L J Sattgast). It is cute. He also go a memory book about "The Day I was Baptized" or something like that. It was fun to fill out for him. Minimal effort was needed (key!)

We don't have any, but Veggie Tales I hear are entertaining.

Another gift I buy when I find nice ones are Noah's Ark toys. 'Quiet' ones I buy and lable as 'church toys' for toddlers. Anything to keep them quiet!

Lastly, I have found beautiful crosses at artist studios I have given to our Godchildren as gifts. You can find cute children's ones, but I err to the timeless ones in hopes that they can always hang it some where.

I personally, give to give a Christian gift for baptisms.

BaileyBea
02-08-2006, 08:15 PM
We got a savings bond and bible from friends for DS baptism. That was really nice. I bought a friend a dressy bib they wear to church each Sunday with a cross and their DC's name. I had it monogramed. It's the church bib.

We also got bookmarks that are crosses for his bible, and a cross pin for his outfit to wear each Sunday.

kakohler
02-08-2006, 11:23 PM
One set of my friends gave DS a savings bond, another gave him one share of Disney stock. Very different and hopefully will add up to a tidy sum when he is ready to go to college! You can get one share of stock at www.oneshare.com. I went to the website and you can get a share of any number of stocks. This is going to be my baby gift of the future!

CBB
02-10-2006, 10:38 AM
Thanks so much for the suggestions!