PDA

View Full Version : Help -- Birth Control Options.

westgre
02-08-2006, 05:14 PM
I'm already starting to plan for BC options after this baby is born. Here are my considerations:
1. I plan on breastfeeding
2. There is a significant history in my family of blood clots
3. DH is not covered by insurance
I have considered an IUD, a diaphragm, tubal ligation, the mini pill, and vasectomy for DH. I had a very bad postpartum infection after the birth of DD and had to have an ovary removed, along with some complications, so an IUD and tubal ligation make me very nervous.
The PA at my OB/GYN office told me that blood clots are most often associated with estrogen in the hormonal contraceptives, but it's possible with the progestin only contraceptives as well. Anyone know what the chance of that is?
I guess I'm just looking for advice and opinions on what has and hasn't worked for others.
Thanks!

maestramommy
02-08-2006, 06:43 PM
Use a condom. It's cheap, easy, and it really works as long as you put it on properly. I had used the pill until we decided to start trying, but I wanted to give time for it to wear off. We used a condom for 5 months. Very convenient. If I may also make a recommendation, Trojan very sensitive. Comes in a purple package. It has lube on it already so you don't need more (hate lube, it made my insides burn). Sorry, hope that's not TMI!

schums
02-08-2006, 07:38 PM
If you are FOR SURE done after this baby, than the tubal or vasectomy are excellent options. Tubal is easy, although you're a bit uncomfortable for a few days. Vasectomy -- very easy since no one is doing anything to you!! Seriously, most guys are back at work the next day, 2 at most. But it does take some time (weeks, sometimes months) for DH to be totally swimmer-free. If DH isn't covered by insurance, cost could be an issue, unless you can find a clinic or something to do for a lower cost.

The mini-pill, I'm really leery of any pill, since I got pregnant with DD while on the pill (never missed, must have super eggs or something). I think the failure rate of the mini pill is 6% or something if taken correctly (maybe a doc could check this?).

I've heard good things about IUDs and have known several people who have used diaphrams, but don't really have any experience with either of those. I'm sure others will chime in to help.

HTH,
Sarah
Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

writermama
02-08-2006, 07:49 PM
Well, early on with a new baby, a sure form of birth control is sheer exhaustion. ;)

I used a diaphragm after DD was born (until we decided to start trying for baby #2). I didn't like it at first (there is a bit of a learning curve), but once I got used to it I liked it better than pills.

Used with a spermacide, it's pretty effective, though not perfect -- we didn't have any problems though. If you're worried about things not being "spontaneous," you can put it in up to 8 hours beforehand (say on an evening when the kids are at grandma's).

Hope this helps,

tarahsolazy
02-08-2006, 09:33 PM
If you are planning on breastfeeding, I'd avoid the mini-pill. Lots of women have no milk supply issues with it, but its a risk, even if your doctor tells you its not. Since there are hormone-free options, I think they're better while you are BF. The really local hormone options, like Mirena IUD, and the Nuva Ring, are a better bet, I know Mirena doesn't affect milk supply, and I don't think the ring does... I really have liked the Mirena IUD, I had one for a year before we conceived DS, and another inserted at my PP appointment at 6 weeks. I had no periods with it, and it was totally carefree contraception.

MarisaSF
02-08-2006, 09:38 PM
odd dp

MarisaSF
02-08-2006, 09:38 PM
Nuva Ring does (can) affect milk supply; it's got both estrogen and progestin. I wouldn't use it while BFing. My friend (an OB herself) also thought "Well it's local hormones, so I'll try it (while BFing)." It completely dried up her milk. She went off it, and the milk came back.

ETA:
"Starting the Ring After Pregnancy
After childbirth, wait at least two weeks before inserting the ring. Use a backup method for seven days if you have not yet gotten your period.
The ring may reduce the amount and quality of milk in the first six weeks of breastfeeding. Also, the milk will contain traces of the ring's hormones. If you are breastfeeding, wait at least six weeks after childbirth to insert the ring. Use a backup method for seven days if you have not yet gotten your period."
http://www.plannedparenthood.org/pp2/portal/files/portal/medicalinfo/birthcontrol/pub-contraception-nuvaring.xml#1123595573052::2704530501638995338

OP -- I'd talk to your doc about the risk of blood clots.

mudder17
02-08-2006, 09:49 PM
I totally agree. I tried the minipill and didn't even finish the month because I was constantly having bleeding issues. We decided to use the condom and I much prefer it. I think we've used Trojan very sensitive and another (Japanese?) brand that was recommended on these boards.

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

kransden
02-09-2006, 10:43 AM
I have extremely heavy periods. So I tried the mini pill for a few months, it does dry up your milk. Plus I had spotting etc. It just wasn't worth it for me. If I was in your shoes, I would use a condom until you wean your DC. DH might not like it, but hey it is better than getting nothing :)

Karin and Katie 10/24/02