PDA

View Full Version : what do you do with your free time?

jess_g
02-08-2006, 06:02 PM
My 2 year old will be starting a toddler group 2 mornings a week and I am wondering what I will do with that free time? He is my third (and last) child and I am not planning on returning to work any time soon. I have some around the house projects that I want to do (like painiting and organizing) but I don't have any real hobbies. I am wondering what others do for a few hours when they don't have kids around? Its been so long since this has happended to me and I want to do something more meaningfull than hang out at the mall (although I will do that too I am sure).

Thanks,

Jessica.

chlobo
02-08-2006, 06:32 PM
If it were me I would exercise & explore the nature trails near my house. I might also just take up a hobby to fill the time - something I always wanted to do but havne't had time - like knitting or something. Maybe join a book club that meets at that time? Maybe volunteer work?

mom_hanna
02-08-2006, 07:14 PM
I go running, read a book, go grocery shopping - sooo much easier without dd. I also clean because dd hates the vacuum, so if I do it when she is home, I have to carry her while I vacuum. Makes for strong biceps, but very sore arms! Also hang out at the coffee shop and read the newspaper. I love any free time I can get!

redhookmom
02-08-2006, 07:14 PM
My daughter starting going to a preschool 2 mornings a week a month or so ago. The time FLIES! It seems all I do is race around the house trying to clean up and then it is time to go get her.
I like the idea of reading and taking a nap.

DebbieJ
02-09-2006, 01:00 AM
I go grocery shopping without a 2 yo constantly begging me to get "out, out!" or kicking me from his perch in the cart.

Heaven!

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

bluestar2
02-09-2006, 01:44 AM
Read, read, read! I miss being able to finish a real book.

dhano923
02-09-2006, 02:31 AM
My mom keeps my kids once or twice a week for a few hours so I can have some "me" time. I try and do things that either are easier without the kids or things I can't do when the kids are home. These are some of the things I do:
File my old bills and paperwork
go grocery shopping
go to Costco
dye my hair (LOL)
paint my nails
bleach the kitchen counters
Call my friends and talk forever without interuptions
go shoe shopping (for some reason DS hates when I try on shoes)
do a bunch of small errands like post office, bank, any returns I have to do, etc

CiderLogan
02-09-2006, 07:34 AM
My DD is in a group 2 mornings a week too. On Mondays, I go to yoga and then go home and take a shower in peace (no need to hurry for her sake), maybe do a little web surfing, maybe a little around the house. On Wednesdays, I either go to the gym or do a bunch of errands (it's a treat to get in and out of the car in a flash without messing with the carseat). You will be shocked at how quickly those few hours will go! So set your sights low at the beginning or you might get frustrated you aren't doing more.

Jenny
Mom to Julia, 8/03
...and another GIRL due 5/29/06!

kransden
02-09-2006, 10:35 AM
If I ever have scheduled free time again. :) I would scrapbook. I love doing crafty things, but I am not very good at it. To me scrapbooking is very rewarding and easy. I would also edit home movies.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

miki
02-09-2006, 02:55 PM
Run errands, go to the gym, yard work, doctor's appointments, projects around the house... The time really flies.

jayali
02-09-2006, 03:54 PM
Don't have much more to add. DS goes to a babysitter 3 mornings a week for about 3 hours each time.

I usually go to the gym, dry cleaner, dentist, doctor, get my hair colored, manicure, etc. Then I run home and sweep, laundry, or do whatever little cleaning I can. I also try to take the dog for a walk when the weather is nice.

Wait until you see how FAST the time goes. I had great expectations of using my free time for projects and such, but I never seem to have enough time. I am usually late picking him up and the babysitter laughs at me.

Enjoy!