PDA

View Full Version : Finding and interviewing doulas

KrisM
02-09-2006, 01:31 PM
I am finally getting around to starting my doula search. I have a list of 14 from the DONA website who are within an hour drive. There is 1 who is only 10 miles or so, 2 more that are about 20 miles and the rest are futher. I figure I'd start close and work out from there.

I was thinking of e-mailing each of them with a short list of questions to narrow things down. Should I try to call instead? What questions should I ask? I'm planning a VBAC using Hypnobabies, so those questions are included, but what else?

thanks!

Momof3Labs
02-09-2006, 02:15 PM
You'll narrow that list down fast - of the 5 or 6 that I contacted from the DONA site, one returned an e-mail and one eventually called. Neither were still practicing. Some of the contact info was old, too, so e-mails bounced back or phones had been disconnected. I eventually found our doula through Traci (icunurse) on this board - they are neighbors!

Also talk to your doctor/midwife and find out who they have worked with in the past; I preferred to work with a team (midwife & doula) who had worked together before. You may find that some of the doulas don't work where you'll be delivering, so that's another good early question to ask.

ETA: Tell them your due date, too, and make sure that they aren't "booked up" during that time, either with other clients or with a planned vacation, child's graduation, etc.

LucyG
02-09-2006, 02:46 PM
I didn't have nearly that many to choose from, but I phone interviewed three, and then we interviewed in person the one who seemed like the best fit for us (and subsequently hired her). For my interviews, I used a list of questions from the DONA website. I believe it was called "Questions to ask a Doula," or something like that. I know that I got it right from the website, though. I agree with Lori that you will probably find some outdated contact information.

I would ask anyone that you interview for their references, and then call a good sampling of those people. I was particularly interested in talking to couples whom our doula had assisted in having VBACs (since that is also our plan).

Be clear about fees and services up front, and ask if the doula includes any other services (photography, breastfeeding help, aromatherapy, etc.). I think most quality doulas will be well-prepared to answer your questions, and can probably even send you information on themselves and their services if you request it. For finding the person who best "clicks" with you, definitely do some in-person interviews once you narrow down the field. Good luck!

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]
nursed for 2.5 years!
And . . . Blessing #2 due in March!

Wife_and_mommy
02-09-2006, 03:13 PM
I would ask around at birth centers, childbirth educators, etc. for names. It seems there are many doulas who haven't necessarily advertised themselves well, if at all. I think a word-of-mouth recommendation would be fantastic so that's another route.

Do you have a Hypnobabies instructor? Would that person be willing to be your doula? My Bradley instructor did that for us. It was an answer to prayer to say the least.

Hth,

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/dogdogadr20040405_-5_My+child+is.png[/image][/link]

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/bunbunadr20060131_-5_My+child+is.png[/image][/link]

KrisM
02-10-2006, 02:07 PM
Interesting that they're out of date! I will ask at my next appointment if they have anyone they recommend or work with. I hadn't thought about them not working at the hospital I'll be at.

Great info!

KrisM
02-10-2006, 02:09 PM
Thanks. I hadn't thought to further look at the DONA site for questions.

KrisM
02-10-2006, 02:10 PM
I'm doing the home study for Hypnobabies. I did Bradley last time and now I wonder if she knows doulas. I don't think I could use her as she now lives around the block and I don't think I'd be comfy with that!