PDA

View Full Version : weaning 3 y.o from napping

1ceng1
02-10-2006, 09:46 PM
My 3 year old is still napping for about 2 hours at around 1 pm. This causes her to not fall asleep at night until around 9:30 pm, and wake up for the day at 6 am, so she does not get much nighttime sleep and needs to make up for it with a nap.
We had a very busy day yesterday where she did not nap and subsequently went to bed at 6 pm and woke up at 6 am! It was great!However, today we fell back into the nap and she went to bed again at 9:30 pm and will likely wake up at 6 am. Is there a way I can break her of the nap? Should I?

THANKS!

PS, It's risky taking her out to keep her awake since if she falls alseep in the car for even 15 mins, it constitutes a nap, keeping her up until 9 pm.

westgre
02-11-2006, 06:49 AM
I have no advice -- just comisserating with you. DD goes to daycare and they always nap between 1-2:30. Then, she is up until at least 10:00, sometimes 11 or 12(!). DH and I have been arguing about this same issue, as I think this is way too late for bedtime for a 3 year old. I'm not sure what we're going to do, either. Interested to see if anyone has any recommendations.

fauve01
02-11-2006, 11:14 AM
well if it were me, yes i would try to skip the nap so she would get her sleep at night. I'm not sure whree you live, but have you tried going for a nice long walk at nap time? even just around the block. Fresh air does wonders! even when it's chilly, DD and i still go outside when either one of us needs a change of scenery or she's a crank monster or i need to get out!

or if it's cold where you are and you can't do that, i think get busy with fun activities--maybe helping you cook/bake, or making some art project. not sure. i do know that when they're used to napping and transitioning out if napping, there it sometimes takes some time to get used to not napping at the witching hour time. you just have to get over that 1pm hump!

not sure, but i hope it goes smoothly for you.

Anne + DD 10-03 (who quit napping at 19 months!)