PDA

View Full Version : Kid bedroom dimensions

boogiemom
02-12-2006, 10:41 AM
If you were building a house, how big would you make the kid's bedrooms? I want to make the kid's bedrooms large enough but not any bigger than necessary, KWIM? Our middle sized bedroom right now is approx. 12x12. It's a guest room but I think it would work for a kid's room. What do you think is sufficient? How about the master bedroom? Right now I have all the bedrooms pretty big and I think I'm going to reduce them a bit to save some square footage and $.

Thanks!

ellies mom
02-12-2006, 11:22 AM
That is a great size for a kid's room. You can go smaller but then you really have to consider window and door placement. In our current house, the small bedrooms are about 10x12. There is plenty of room but the windows make furniture placement difficult. In DD's room there is not enough room between the wall an window for a twin size bed and the window is too low to put furniture in front of. The guest bedroom is even worse. So definately keep that in mind when you pick your windows. We didn't find out until later that we could have changed the windows.

Momof3Labs
02-12-2006, 12:12 PM
I'd go 13x13 or 12x14 - a little bigger to accomodate a full-size bed. You might not think it is necessary now, but if you end up with tall kids, they may not be comfy in a twin bed in 10 years. I also think that slightly larger (not huge) bedrooms is a plus on resale.

For the master, it depends on the layout. We had a lot of wasted space in our last master because of the window placement.

mharling
02-12-2006, 12:47 PM
The guest and kids' rooms in the house we're moving to has bedrooms that are 12X12, 13X13 and 14X14. They seem very generous, but not *too* big. And I agree with Lori about window and closet placement. We are very limited our current house as to what we can do.

Mary - Some days work. Some days don't.

smilequeen
02-12-2006, 02:41 PM
We have 2 really big kids bedrooms...16x17. Very big right now with just a crib, but we're buying a full size bed for his "big boy" room when the time comes, so I think it will be spacious, but not so ridiculous as it seems right now. Our guest bedroom is 13x14 and it has a queen size bed in it...seems just right for that. Given all that our master bedroom is huge, I don't remember the exact size, but well designed so I really like it. It was great that I could have a cosleeper in there and a swing when DS was little and a big chaise for feeding and changing :)

smilequeen
02-12-2006, 02:41 PM
We have 2 really big kids bedrooms...16x17. Very big right now with just a crib, but we're buying a full size bed for his "big boy" room when the time comes, so I think it will be spacious, but not so ridiculous as it seems right now. Our guest bedroom is 13x14 and it has a queen size bed in it...seems just right for that. Given all that our master bedroom is huge, I don't remember the exact size, but well designed so I really like it. It was great that I could have a cosleeper in there and a swing when DS was little and a big chaise for feeding and changing :)