PDA

View Full Version : toy store in Pittsburgh area

mommyoftwo
02-13-2006, 04:42 PM
My husband is in Pittsburgh right now and would like to pick up a nice wooden toy or two for our dd's for v-day. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good toy store in the area? I'll post in around the house as well. TIA!

heatherlynn
02-13-2006, 08:06 PM
i've been gone a few years, but there were a couple of nice stores that i can't remember the names. 2 in shadyside - one on walnut and one just off walnut. 1 in squirrel hill on forbes. don't forget a terrible towel!

h-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04
dd 11/05

mommyoftwo
02-13-2006, 10:41 PM
A terrible towel? Is that the name of a store? Thanks for the suggestions. I'll let him know.

ddmarsh
02-14-2006, 07:19 AM
There is one in Squirrel Hill, but it's off of Forbes. I can't remember the name of the street - if he looks up Color Me Mine in the phone book, the toy store is across the street in the same block as they are.

HTH -

MayB
02-14-2006, 09:41 AM
I think the store PPs are referring to is SW Randall. It has a number of locations. If he's working downtown, there's one at 630 Smithfield Street (almost across the street from the Barnes and Noble)The Shadyside location is on 806 Ivy, the Squirrel Hill location is 5856 Forbes Avenue. There's also one at Station Square, which is across the Mon river from downtown.

Depending on how much time your husband has and where he's working, he may want to try one of the Carnegie Museums (Natural History in Oakland)or the Science Center (on the North Shore, formerly known as the North Side) for more unique gift ideas.

The Terrible Towel isn't a toy store -- it's a black and gold towel fans wave to cheer on the Steelers. Obviously, it worked well for them this year.

mommyoftwo
02-14-2006, 10:54 AM
Ah, that explains it. We are new to the area and live in Youngstown, so we are new to steelers mania. :) My husband is walking around S.W. Randall in shadyside talking to me as I'm typing this. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.