PDA

View Full Version : 2 year old DS is afraid of barking dog

usfrph
02-13-2006, 07:59 PM
Do almost 2 year olds have 'phobias'?
During our post-bath ritual DS can hear a neighbors dog barking and lately he's been clingging to us, crying, telling us to listen to the dog barking etc. We've told him that we're inside the house, papa and maman will protect him, the dog is nice but it doesn't seem to help. Now he doesn't even hear the dog barking and he tells us he does. Doing the whole clingging/crying thing. Is there anything we can do to get him over this phase? This is just a phase right?

mudder17
02-13-2006, 08:38 PM
Well, the whole clinging thing is definitely a almost 2 year old thing as Kaya has had a slightly more pronounced separation anxiety thing going on. She never did have it that bad, but lately we've noticed she wants to be held a lot or paid direct attention and she also cries when we leave her in our church daycare, even if it's only for 2 minutes (they tell us that moments after we leave her, she stops crying). But Kaya also doesn't like bugs, especially flying bugs and will always stop what she's doing and back up if she sees one. She's had this for a few months, though, so I don't think it's a 2 year old thing. I think it will pass, though, with constant exposure and calm reactions from the adults around her. :)

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

Saartje
02-13-2006, 10:23 PM
It is just a phase, yes, and a totally normal one. It will pass with time. I don't know what you can do to help him get past it, except to reassure him as needed and don't make a big deal out of it.

usfrph
02-14-2006, 08:09 AM
Thanks mamas! I told DH that I'd confirm with my message board friends that this too will pass :)

kboyle
02-14-2006, 10:56 AM
It isn't a phase for DS1, but the thing that scares him changes. Last summer he was terrified when he heard motorcycles going down the street, but he LOVES motorcycles and has no problems standing in the drive, or even sitting on one that is running. That passed a month later. He also loves dogs, but says "scared" everytime the dog across the street barked, but only at breakfast, he was fine any other time of the day. that passed after a week. In the fall he would run and hide or cling when it would thunder storm at night even though he would be laughing and giggling WHILE crying during it...that lasted 3 nights. I think it will definately pass. Although, right now, DS is convinced that there is a monster in his room, but he has no problem with it, he'll be scared to go into his room (lights on), but he'll say good-night to it before i shut the door (lights off). Toddlers, who knows!

jesseandgrace
02-14-2006, 11:03 AM
My nephew had the bug phobia thing and we actually had a summer where it was hard to go outside with him. It didn't last long at all! I would put Clifford on the TV, talk about dogs, and maybe have him pretend to be a dog and bark. Try to have some dog fun and help him over the hump!