PDA

View Full Version : More sleep issues

barbarhow
02-14-2006, 09:27 PM
Anna is a wonderful sleeper so I really shouldn't complain. I would just love to get a couple of kinks out of her settling down for the night routine. At 7p she gets an 8 ounce bottle of formula (no flames please :-) ) I then nurse her to sleep which usually takes about 15-20 minutes. About30 minutes later she wakes up crying and needs to be nursed back to sleep. The last several weeks it has not been a huge problem as DH has been home and he puts Jack to bed. However I am now alone in the evenings all week. Her wake up time is right when I am trying to get Jack to bed. As a result he did not get to sleep until nearly 9p which is WAY too late for him. He should be asleep at 8. I would be willing to try a CIO except that still would be disruptive to Jack as their rooms share a wall.
Any thoughts? I have wondered about putting her to bed earlier-it wouldn't be easy but I could try.
She is currently sleeping until 6a or 6:30a.
Thanks for any thoughts!
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

brittone2
02-14-2006, 10:52 PM
Not sure if this would even be a possibility, but I knew a mom who ran into this problem and she rocked baby in the rocking chair while nursing and singing, as this was part of the toddler's sleep routine and he was willing to go to sleep with mom in the room singing. Obviously that wouldn't work very well if you are needing more hands-on time with Jack to get him ready for bed.

The other thought is a sling, where Anna could nurse/fall asleep while you get Jack ready for bed. Do you think she would stay asleep if you put her down after she fell asleep in the sling?

Not sure either of those are really practical for you but that's all i've got. I only have one munchkin to get to bed so I have no real life experience with this.

slknight
02-14-2006, 11:21 PM
No good advice for you, but Alex used to do the exact same thing. In his case, it was always 45 minutes after he went down. I could time it. LOL. Once he went back down again, he was down for good. We could never figure it out, but I assumed it was just his first sleep cycle. He eventually grew out of it, but I wasn't having to deal with a toddler too. I hope you get it worked out. We should do a Maine get-together soon.

barbarhow
02-15-2006, 05:41 AM
I would love to get together!
Do you remember when Alex grew out of it? It is so frustrating. And so hard for Jack, too. Last night he got to sleep between 8:45 and 9-then of course was up at 12:30. I find that if I don't get him to sleep at his normal time he tends to wake up intermittently throughout the night. I hope this doesn't last too long.....

barbarhow
02-15-2006, 05:44 AM
I hadn't thought of the sling-I think maybe I'll give it a try. Can't be worse than what is happening now. Thanks for the idea.
Last night Jack actually laid on my legs (feet were on the ottoman of the glider) while I rocked Anna. He was pretty good about it all-it is really more the time delay that is the problem.