PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new laptop any recommendations?

jacksmomtobe
02-17-2006, 11:57 AM
I know this is pretty ot but I'm looking for a new laptop. Anyone have any recommendations? It will be for home use but I would like something with good power and memory. Weight isn't a big deal. I use the computer mostly for web surfing, checking out this board, and emails. I do on occaision help dh with spreadsheets for work etc. I used to write templates for budgeting and would love to have a decent machine in that could handle good size files in case I ever get back into that. I want wireless capability so once I have baby #2 and am recupperating I can have easy access to the internet in case I need any support from this board. I was leaning towards Dell or a Think pad. Any recommendations on specific models would be great. I was trying to do a little research earlier but the site I use cnet seemed incredibly slow and I only have so much free time.

Thanks!

hautemama15
02-17-2006, 12:22 PM
I have an HP Special Edition Pavilion dv1411se model and I absolutely LOVE my computer!!! I was reluctant to get a laptop for a long time. I didn't think I would get used to the mousepad being controlled that way with my finger!! But, I got used to it very quickly!!! It is INtel Celeron M Processor at about 1.5Ghz. It has an 80GB hard drive, burns CD's and DVD's and has Light Scribe. It also has a 6 in 1 digital media reader. Comes with a built in wireless card also, as I am sure most laptops do now. Honestly, my MIL has a Dell laptop and has had alot of problems with hers for some reason. I haven't had one problems so far with mine, but its only been 3 months that I have had it. I love it!

tarahsolazy
02-17-2006, 01:06 PM
a Mac ;0 (Probably no interest in switching?)

I do have a Dell Latitude 610? that I use for statistical analysis at work. Its perfectly speedy and functional.

But for anything other than stats, I grab my iBook, or my G5 at work.

shilo
02-17-2006, 06:22 PM
i'll second the mac vote. i know what you mentioned were pc's, but if you have any interest in switching, give a little holler and i am sure those of us who swear by our ibooks, tibooks, powerbooks (now called mac books) will chime in. i am sure you've seen the commercials, but they are shipping with the new intel duo chips in them now. (i'll fess up to being biased tho, dh writes their drivers).

my dad has a think pad he's happy with and hy sister has an hp that surrvived being put back together not once, but twice after running over it in her car in law school (you'd think someone who can go to an ivy league law school could learn not to leave it ontop of the car, eh? ;)

lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

LD92599
02-17-2006, 09:01 PM
A third vote for a mac!!! You can get some great deals on the "previous" generation non-intel ibooks and powerbooks on the refurb page of store.apple.com.

I'm typing on my new ibook now :-)

Laura
mom to William

LKibala @ optonline.net
[img]http://lilypie.com/baby3/030305/1/2/0/-5/.png

Use a Mac? Interested in learning more about them? Join us!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BBB-MacUsers/

hellosmiletoday
02-17-2006, 11:27 PM
Do not get a Dell inspiron 600m. Mine is 2 yrs old and has been serviced 10-15 times already. The LCD went dead less than 60 days after I bought it.

My Dell desktop is 4 yrs and has never had problems.
Mommy to baby girl 5/04

kijip
02-17-2006, 11:34 PM
Dell's home users customer service and service agreement has gone to hell in a hand basket. Seriously. I can't think of anyone with a good Dell service story unless they are a business and I don't have enough fingers to count the IRL peeps I know ready to blow up Dell HQ over there unresolved customer service.

I say switch to Mac! ;)

kozachka
02-18-2006, 07:55 AM
We've had great luck with Toshiba laptops. They've been dropped, spilled coffee on and even checked into lugguage (by my husband's not very smart employee) and still survived. I've had mine Portege since spring of 2000 and only recently, 5.5 years later, it started giving me problems, which is OK since I'd love to get something new anyway.

kensjen
02-18-2006, 08:13 AM
This was my question a little over a year ago. I needed a new laptop for home use and actually had a Dell all picked out. I just asked here for opinions and had several people mention macs. At first I was a bit annoyed, I felt like that was asking me to change my religion! Really, I thought that mac people were their own little cult, just trying to lure another one in, and I really knew nothing about them. Yes, I had used an Apple IIe back in grade school, but nothing since.

ANYWAY, I am a very very happy convert. I opened up the box and never looked back. I am so happy to the mac users here who supported me with all of my questions!

Take a look around the apple site, there is an area that talks about switching from a PC to a mac. There are also a ton of MBs that can help you, hopefully someone will post a link to them, or do a search here in the lounge...those were very helpful. Also if you have an apple store in your area, stop by, they are so helpful. I spent an hour looking and playing and asking questions at our local store, and it was enough to get me to buy!

Good luck, I know this is a big decision!!