PDA

View Full Version : Diva Cup vs. Instead Softcup - Another TMI Question

katerinasmom
02-17-2006, 12:07 PM
Someone mentioned in another string the Diva Cup. This is new to me. I did a google search and understand what it is but I'd love to hear some actual nonbiased opinions about it. I've used the Instead Softcup and really like it although it is messy to remove. Is anyone willing to share their experience with the Diva Cup? Is it messy to remove? Is it comfortable? Does it really protect you? If you've tried the Instead Softcup also I'd love to hear how it compares. I have a pretty heavy flow for the first few days of my cycle and although the Instead does much better than tampons, I still have to wear a light pad with both for overflow. Has anyone asked their OB/GYN what they think of the Diva Cup?

pittsburghgirl
02-17-2006, 01:38 PM
There have been a number of threads on this over in the Butts forum, you can do a search.

Here's one recent thread:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=60&topic_id=42047&mode=full

I am a big fan. I haven't used the instead softcup though. I have an unusually heavy flow (since having DS) though, and I always need some kind of backup although many of the BBB users haven't found that to be the case. I use cloth mama pads in conjunction and they are awesome.

Marilee
mommy to James
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040120/1/1/1/-5/.png

mudder17
02-17-2006, 01:44 PM
As the PP said, there are a bunch of threads over in Butts about it, but I am a Diva Cup user and have not actually heard of the Softcup. I have a very heavy flow on the second day and I find I have to empty the Diva Cup 3-4 times on that day. On the other days, I may empty it only once or twice if the mood strikes me. ;) I usually use a mama liner pad for backup because I don't always remember to empty when full on that heavy day. In fact, because of discharge through most of my cycle, I tend to wear a mama pad liner every day, so it's not any different for me. The Diva Cup can be kind of messy to remove, but you get pretty good at it after a few times. It's very comfortable (I forget I have it on sometimes) and does a great job of protection (IMHO). It does tons better than tampons in terms of comfort and absorbency (I hated tampons), but again, I like to have the liner in as a backup. My OB/GYN knows I'm using the Diva cup and is just fine with it. I didn't ask him specifically about the different kinds, though.

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

jno55
02-17-2006, 02:13 PM
This is a great question. I will try to answer your questions without to much TMI.

I have a Mooncup, which is the silicone version of the Keeper. The concept is the same, the shape is a tiny bit different. (The Diva is slightly longer, if you're curious.)

edited to add photo of the difference between the cups :
http://www.busybusymomma.com/MC.html

If you have used an Instead, and are comfortable with the idea, I would say go for a Mooncup/Diva. I love mine! Never thought I would use an exclamation point for this sort of product, lol.

To answer your questions, it might help to remove it the first few times in the bathtub, and TMI! squat down, and use those kegal muscles to push down a little to make it easier to remove. Once you grip it, push the bottom in to break the suction and remove. Once you get the hang of it, it is very fast. If it is placed correctly, you really don't feel it. Sometimes I forget mine is there. Most women cut the stem off, since it can poke. If you are in a public restroom, bring a wet paper towel for your hands, as it can be a little messy.

The first couple of days I do wear a liner, just in case. I only leak if I go to long before changing. If you look at a photo, you will see tiny holes at the top edge. This are for suction, and if the "contents" overflow this, you will start to leak a little, nothing major.

There is a slight learning curve with the cup, but once you have used one you will wonder why they haven't become mainstream. I did ask my doctor about mine because I have an IUD. They weren't familiar with the product, so I emailed the company. I have had my cup for a year and have had no issues with the IUD strings. They don't seem to interact at all.

HTH!

Momof3Labs
02-17-2006, 02:20 PM
I didn't use the Diva long before getting pg, and tried (though never successfully used) the Instead cup. The Instead is tough to use, IMO - tough to place and tough to empty. The Diva has a learning curve to place (though MUCH easier than the Instead) but is a breeze to remove and empty.

Saartje
02-17-2006, 03:54 PM
I've used the Instead before, with limited success; I found it so difficult to place properly that it wasn't worth the benefits, and removal without a mess was difficult. I use a Diva cup now, and I'm very happy with it: I have a very heavy flow, and only have to empty the cup a few times a day, and it fits better/is much easier to place than Instead. (IMO, of course.)

I also love that the Diva cup, unlike Instead, is not disposable. You buy one, and you won't need another for a good 10 years. Just rinse it when you empty it and put it back, and give it a good wash before you put it away when you're through.

dr mom
02-17-2006, 05:43 PM
I'm an FP not an OB, but I love my Diva Cup and would recommend it for almost anyone. There was definitely a learning curve the first couple of months and I still have a little trouble emptying and replacing it in public restrooms, but I am loving it SO MUCH MORE than I did tampons. I usually wear a pantyliner in case of spotting. Postpartum, I couldn't use tampons at all - they just don't fit like they used to, and are too uncomfortable to insert. The Diva is so comfortable I usually can't even tell it's there.

Rachels
02-17-2006, 05:44 PM
I love the Diva Cup. It's not messy at all, I don't find. The Instead cups were just gory. It has also reduced my cramps tremendously, and I don't have any leaking or discomfort. There was a learning curve for me of about one cycle, but by the second time around, I had the hang of it. Definitely worth it.

-Rachel
Mama to Abigail Rose
5/18/02
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif
Nursed for three years!

and Ethan James
10/19/05
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/bf.jpg

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya

katerinasmom
02-20-2006, 02:28 PM
Thank you everyone for responding. As usual, this is exactly what I needed to know.

BarbieSmith
02-20-2006, 04:18 PM
OMG, the Diva cup is something I have been raving about. It is so wonderful. It takes about 2 cycles to really get used to it. But it never leaks! If you go to the Diva cup website, the discussion board has numerous posts comparing the Diva cup to other cups, and most generally the agreement is that it is often the best one out there.

On those boards you will note a few women say they leak. But I have found the completely leak-proof solution: you must make sure that the cup actually "popped" open inside you. (Okay TMI, here goes) To do this you will have to stick two fingers up inside, around the Diva cup, and you can immediately feel if it is open or closed. A lot of women don't do this, and then when it is not completely open they get leaks.

I am very, very heavy during the first 36 hours. I only change 2 times per day even then... a few times I have had more blood than the cup holds (it pours out when removing hte cup) but still no leaks!

I wash it well with hand soap, and then after the final use and hand soap cleaning, I put it in my (hot) dishwasher for a final disinfection.

I highly, highly recommend the cup. You can find some used... some might think that is gross, but not me, you can sterilize it easily :)

Hugs, Barbie

Jo..
02-20-2006, 04:30 PM
Huh. You learn something new everyday. I have been using the Instead for years, and I am always explaining to friends what they are. I NEVER heard of the Diva Cup or Moon Cup so I guess now I am the ignorant one! I liked the Instead because it lasts for up to 12 hours between changes even with my super-heavy flow. I also liked the idea that I was protected invisibly. "Look Ma, no strings!" :P

However, it has been messy at times. Sometimes if I sneeze or cough too hard it almost pops right out, LMAO! I am so glad to hear that there are alternatives. It looks like the other ones are the way to go. Thanks for all the great discussions on here guys!