PDA

View Full Version : Natalie Update (long)

JenaW
02-17-2006, 08:45 PM
Hello ladies!

Sorry it has been so long. Life here is out of control, even on the "calm" days.

Natalie is doing pretty well. I can't remember when I last updated, so I'll give you a brief synopsis of the last month or so. I think you knew she had bilateral hernia surgery. The surgery was fine, and even though we had it done at a large teaching hospital, we were able to have the attending anesthesiologist and surgeon do the entire case WITHOUT residents (benefits of being married to a doctor, I guess). However, at her follow-up, the surgeon was a bit concerned that her incisions seemed rather lumpy...I guess the hernias were pretty large, and he is worried that they might develop into a direct hernia (through the abdominal wall) since her abdominal muscles are so underdeveloped, and unable to hold the scar tissue in place. Hopefully, as she grows, the "lumps" will become less noticeable, otherwise she may need another surgery to fix that.

We just got back from our weekly visits to the pediatrician, and Natalie is FINALLY on an upswing weight-wise. We had a few weeks where she was losing, and was getting threatened with a g-tube (surgically inserted feeding tube directly into her stomach) and all kinds of other nasty stuff. Luckily, adding MORE calories, MCT oil (pure fat), and increasing her zantac and starting reglan has seemed to do the trick. Today she was 7 pounds 1 ounce!!! I am not sure who was more excited, the pedi or me. I am still breastfeeding, although she gets 2-3 bottles a day with the "extra stuff." Apparently breastmilk only has 20 calories/ounce, where she is getting nearly 32 with the fortifier and MCT oil. Thankfully, my pedi is very pro-breastfeeding and said we would exhaust all other measures before he told me to stop BFing all together, and it seems to be working right now.

Let's see - she passed her hearing test last week! In the NICU, she failed on one side, so we were concerned about that, but it seems she CAN hear! It is hard to tell at home...since the NICU was so loud, she does not seem to be bothered by (or startle to) loud sounds. As you can imagine, my tiny house with Carter and Maddie yelling all the time is pretty noisy, but she just ignores it. I was beginning to get worried that maybe she couldn't hear, but that doesn't seem to be the case. We also got a clean bill from the eye doctor last week. He said her eyes have fully developed, and there is only mild retinopathy. We don't go back for several months, and he has no long-term concerns for her.

Developmentally, she seems to be on track for her adjusted age. It is hard to believe she is 5 months old today, but only about 1 1/2 months adjusted. She has pretty good head control, and tracks objects well. She doesn't have a total social smile yet, but she does seem like she is starting to. Her eyes light up and she looks as if she wants to smile, but doesn't quite get the lip movement yet. Maybe in a few more days! We have a great early intervention program in our county, and our therapist comes to our house every 3-4 weeks to monitor her development. Even though there is not a lot to look for now, and most of the major issues (cerebral palsy, major delays) are not apparent until 9 months or more, it is nice to know that someone else besides me is keeping an eye on her. With Carter and Madigan we were so laid back. Carter was a bit slow on his motor milestones because of the botulism, and we knew he would catch up at his own pace, and he did. Maddie was a bit slow on sitting/crawling/standing/walking too, but alot of that occurred when I was in the hospital and during the NICU phase, so that might have delayed her a bit. We were never concerned with them, but with a preemie, it is a different story. I feel like I am waiting for the other shoe to drop. I wish I could be more laid back with Natalie too, but then I am afraid I will miss something.

The only other major issues right now are her lungs and voice. Her cry, although audible, is still pretty weak. It was made apparent to me last week while at church. I heard a newborn cry and realized just how quiet Natalie's voice actually is. She is scheduled to have a "scope" done in a few weeks by an ENT surgeon. He is going to put a camera down her throat and look at her vocal cords to assess the damage. We are not really sure what to expect. Best case scenario - there is something small that he can laser off and her voice should normalize. Worst case - she has one or both cords paralyzed. If one is paralyzed open it could become more of a concern when she starts solids, since she could theoretically aspirate into her lungs (NOT GOOD!). He is also going to look at her esophagus and take biopsies to evaluate the reflux, and check out her lungs and bronchi too. DH, as an anesthesia resident, has seen several of these procedures done, and is not much more thrilled with the idea of it than I am. Apparently the complications, although rare, can be very devastating. So you know me, I am convinced she is going to end up in the ICU on a vent for several days until they can do another surgery to repair the hole they put in her esophagus (esophageal perforations are one of the "rare complications!") More likely, she will be fine, we will spend the requisiste 24 hours so they can monitor her (she is prone to dropping her heart rate and not breathing from the anesthesia), and then go home. But you know how I am - I need more drama in my life...

Although we are anxious about this, it really needs to be done. During the past few weeks, she has begun having what we think are laryngospasms - basically something (reflux??) triggers a reflex that makes her start choking on saliva and gasping for air. When this happens, she turns purple, drops her sats, (setting off her monitor alarms), and often stops breathing. However, getting her to move air can be pretty difficult as her airway gets closed off some how. It is pretty scary when it happens. Usually it breaks on its own within 90 seconds to 2-3 minutes or so, and I feel so helpless because there is not much I can do besides crank up her oxygen (which isn't much help if she is not moving air) and try to calm her down. Luckily they are only happening every 4-6 days, and seem to be getting less intense.

As for her lungs, we really have no clue how they are doing, but the doctors speculate that as she grows, she will grow more (healthy) lung tissue and eventually stronger lungs. She will never run a marathon, and will most likely have asthma or some form of airway disease, but should be fine for most daily activities. We have been extremely fortunate that she has not gotten sick yet, as even the mildest cold could require her to be intubated and back on a ventilator. We haven't really been able to wean down on her oxygen much, but the doctors aren't too worried about that until the winter (and RSV season) are over.

Carter and Maddie are doing well. They keep me on my toes, and many days send me longing for a hot bubble bath and lots of ice cream (either that or alcohol). My NICU diet program where I lost nearly 20 pounds is long gone, and I am adding some "winter insulation" back on. I don't get much peace and quiet. I am lucky if I get to shower more than once a week (usually my Sunday bath before Church is all I get), and I NEVER get to go to the bathroom without SOMEONE screaming for me. But (MOST of the time) I am enjoying it. I constantly remind myself that I am very lucky, and given our history of multiple miscarriages, I know all too well that I could still be trying desparately for baby number one. So when I am feeling overwhelmed, I remember how blessed I really am. All in all they are great kids, but they definitely try my patience. I can't believe Carter will be three in May, and starting pre-school in the fall. Maddie is 17 months, and talking up a storm, usually in paragraphs!! She copies EVERYTHING that her older brother does, and is absolutely fearless when it comes to trying new things (such as diving off the the back of the couch onto piles of blankets on the floor). One of these days one of them is going to break something (hopefully it will just be a lamp, and not an arm or leg or worse!).

I don't have any new pictures yet. There are a bunch on the camera that haven't been uploaded, so hopefully I can post some soon.

~J

Jera
Mom to Carter ~ 05.13.03, Madigan ~ 09.28.04, & Natalie ~ 09.17.05

mudder17
02-17-2006, 09:36 PM
Jera, it's so nice to see you here! I've been thinking about you all a lot and hoped that things were going pretty well (if chaotic). You all continue to be in my prayers. Please let us know if there's something we can all do for you!

lots of love!

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

jd11365
02-17-2006, 09:50 PM
Oh my! Sounds like it's busy at your house! I'm so happy to hear little Natalie is progressing, and I hope her lungs grow big and strong. Big hugs, and thanks so much for updating us...we think of you often!

almostamom
02-17-2006, 09:50 PM
Jera, you and your family are always in our thoughts. I'm glad to hear that Miss Natalie is doing so well. I know how tired I am at the end of the day having just one - I can't even imagine how you do it with three! Wishing you continued good news and healthy munchkins.

Hugs,
~Linda~
DS 11/9/04

barbarhow
02-17-2006, 09:54 PM
Jera-Natalie sounds like she is doing great! You do too. So glad that everything is looking so positive for all of you. I hope the scope brings good news-you all deserve it. Thanks for the update.

brittone2
02-17-2006, 09:57 PM
Jera-thanks for the update on Natalie and the rest of your family. You are a truly amazing mama. I can't even fathom the amount of stress you are under, but your sense of humor shows through in your posts :)

We continue to think of Natalie and wish you all well. Please keep us posted, and I hope that she continues to make great progress.

jbowman
02-17-2006, 10:24 PM
Hugs to you and your family, Jera! Thanks for the update. I'll keep your family in my prayers.

psophia17
02-17-2006, 11:15 PM
Sounds good, Jera - keep up the good work, and I'm sending you a virtual night off, bubble bath, and a big bottle of whatever you're drinking, right about........NOW :)

Marisa6826
02-18-2006, 12:35 AM
Jera-

I'm so glad to hear that you, Natalie and Carter and Maddie are doing well. I was worried about you after your last post.

It is so wonderful to hear that Natalie has really made it - and made it well! - against such steep odds. As I said before, that little girl is very much meant to be in this world.

I hope that everything turns out fine when they scope her. I will look forward to your next update - and PICS!!!

hugs

-m

Melanie
02-18-2006, 01:18 AM
What wonderful news. She is a strong little girl!

bostonsmama
02-18-2006, 01:22 AM
Jera, I so look forward to your posts, so thank you for taking the time to update us. I hadn't remembered that you had trouble carrying to term...so it gives me hope that we've got good things in our future as well. Your optimism and graciousness inspire me.

I'll be keeping Natalie in my prayers as you get closer to the ENT's exploratory procedure of Natty's esophagus, lungs, et al. It does not sound like fun (excuse that expression though...how is surgery ever fun?) But anyways, wishing you some peace and an extra shower each week.

Hugs,

Larissa

Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body.
~Elizabeth Stone

SweetTooth
02-18-2006, 01:23 AM
Jera,
It's so nice to hear from you. I have been wondering how you & your family are doing. I am so happy to hear that Natalie is doing well. She has been through so much & you all are just amazing! I appreciate you sharing your journey, as it is inspiring to hear your thoughts and to see how a family's love and strength can create miracles. Thank you & I hope you continue to keep us updated.

annasmom
02-18-2006, 06:40 AM
Jera, WOW! You are one busy momma! It sounds like Natalie is doing great! It is great that she hasn't gotten sick, especially given that she has been in the hospital for surgery! I remember waiting out that darn RSV season, I felt like a hermit (and I did not have a micro-preemie, just a 32 weeker)! How long are the docs saying the season will last this year?? Best of luck, and lots of hugs to you! Maybe you can get some rest when Carter starts preschool??

jennifer_r
02-18-2006, 07:16 AM
Jera,

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that Natalie is continuing to improve and I hope the scope goes well. It's overwhelming to me how busy you must be! I hope you eventually get some time to decompress.

Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04
Bronwyn 11/9/05

kozachka
02-18-2006, 07:48 AM
Jera,

Thank you for taking time to update us on Natalie's progress. It is so good to hear that she is thriving. I am amazed at your strength and your positive attitude.

Please post some new picture when you can. Wishing you all the best with further testing.

kimbe
02-18-2006, 08:43 AM
Jera - Thanks for the update. Glad things are going well! She is such a strong little lady!

amp
02-18-2006, 09:11 AM
jera, everytime I read a post from you, usually aloud to DH, I get a bit teary and choked up. In spite of the struggle you deal with and your frustration and fear, which I know are considerable, your gratitude for what you have been given is so evident. I know, just from reading your very eloquent posts about your kids, that you know just how blessed you are. Your pride shines through. You are an amazing mother. I hope you remember that on the tough days. Those kids are so lucky that you are their mama. I really, really mean that.

Thank you for always taking the time to come here to update us. Perhaps you don't realize how much some of us appreciate hearing about Natalie's progress and how you are all coping, and how your other kids are growing as well. But I will tell you that not only do I appreciate it, but even my DH listens to these updates and asks me occasionally if I've heard anything. You are thought of often. Remember that.

janeybwild
02-18-2006, 10:24 AM
Jera, it was so great to hear about you all, and I second Andreas's post (although she always says things much more eloquently than me!). You are in our thoughts. Go Natalie!

dylansnan
02-18-2006, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the update Jera. Natalie is an amazing little girl!

Look forward to seeing new pictures!

candybomiller
02-18-2006, 01:02 PM
Exactly what she said!

mharling
02-18-2006, 02:53 PM
It's so good to hear from you, Jera! I admire you for being so (seemingly) level-headed. You are amazing and all of you will continue to be in my thoughts.
Mary - Some days work. Some days don't.

TaChapm
02-18-2006, 04:43 PM
I'm so glad to hear that things look good with Natalie. What a little miracle she is! Please post pictures when you get a chance.

Tara
Mommy to Jackson 11-10-02
Tyler William 6-9-05
OMG!!! Baby #3 Due September 5, 2006!

http://b4.lilypie.com/gzWfm8.png

http://b1.lilypie.com/kLMem8.png

http://bd.lilypie.com/UEZ3m8.png

HannaAddict
02-18-2006, 06:57 PM
Jera,
You are doing an amazing job, I am exhausted just thinking about your daily schedule! :) I'm glad Natalie is starting to gain weight and all the other great news you've had with her. I'm sorry you are still facing some hurdles though and send my best thoughts for Natalie's continued good health and hope that she doesn't need any invasive treatments. Thank you so much for updating too, I really do think of your family and check in to see how your little one is doing. Take care and good thoughts are headed your way.

Kimberly

RwnMayfair
02-18-2006, 10:00 PM
Glad things are going fairly well, Jera, even if it is rather chaotic. Lots of hugs for you, and thank you for keeping us updated! I hope you continue to have good news all around. :)

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003
Elowen, August 20, 2005

http://lilypie.com/pic/060202/ib28.jpg http://b3.lilypie.com/11Vom5/.png
http://lilypie.com/pic/060202/383s.jpg http://b1.lilypie.com/4h2Km5/.png

jec2
02-18-2006, 10:20 PM
Thanks so much for the update Jera. You sound so happy and positive and I love that about you. YOur children have learned so much from watching you handle this so positively. I look forward to more good news and pictures when you get the chance.

starrynight
02-19-2006, 11:22 AM
Jera, I'm thinking of you all. I'm glad to hear Natalie is growing!! (hugs)

jerseygirl07067
02-19-2006, 04:10 PM
Jera, I think of you often. I am so glad things are going well and that Natalie is improving all the time. She is an amazing little baby and you are an amazing mama!

Marcy