PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting OOOLLLLDDD gripe and what stuff do you use for preventing aging/wrinkles

mommy111
02-18-2006, 05:46 PM
Advice badly needed, ladies!
I'm hitting 30 now and all of a sudden I'm having an old crisis. I feel fat and I think my skin looks dull and I'm afraid I'll get wrinkles. I reality, my skin looks reasonable and I don't have wrinkles etc, but what should I be using to prevent wrinkles (apart from sun screen). I didn't think I should be using the anti-wrinkle creams...yet...since I don't have wrinkles, but should I be using them anyway?

aliceinwonderland
02-18-2006, 05:50 PM
umm, microdermabrasion??

(I have not started this yet, myself).

kristine_elen
02-18-2006, 06:05 PM
I didn't know 30 was "OOOLLLLDDD."

jenjenfirenjen
02-18-2006, 06:29 PM
I hear ya. I'm 30 and I do have a few wrinkles (like under my eyes from squinting.) I'm planning to visit a cosmetic dermatologist once I have this baby and get on an anti-wrinkle regimen.

hautemama15
02-18-2006, 06:39 PM
Well, I just started using an anti wrinkle cream last year. I am 36. But before that I used Clinique religiously. From the time I was 16 yrs old. I really think using Clinique, washing and moisturizing every day and staying away from too much sun is what saved my skin. Nobody believes I am 36, and when buying my mom cigarettes the other day I got carded!

I use Aveeno cleansing pads, Aveeno astringent, and Oil of Olay moisturizer with SPF15 under my makeup. Works for me!

bostonsmama
02-18-2006, 08:05 PM
My DH did microdermabrasion at the American Laser Center of Virginia (4 sessions including a chemical peel-which hurts according to DH) and I couldn't even tell it was done. DH has huge pores and scars from childhood acne that did not shrink as they said it would. He's 31 and has lots of sun damage: deep wrinkles on the brow/forehead and deep crow's feet--none of which went away or diminished...and trust me, I look at his sweet face every chance I get. It was the biggest waste of money ever ($120/session)

My step sister also did 8 sessions of microdermabrasion at a facial aesthetician's office in Maryland (she's had bad acne scars her whole adult life...she's 40 something now) and she also said she didn't notice any big difference. She even bought the fancy creams they recommended...as they said you can't use just any normal moisturizer & face wash after the treatment. When I asked if she thought I'd benefit from it down the line, she said to skip it. I know she spent much more than we did b/c of the area ($200/session, plus lotions).

My aunt, however, is 48, and she does a combo of Botox and Restalin injections...and she looks GREAT! She's gorgeous...that certainly helps, but really it seems to be the only proven thing to decrease wrinkles and fine lines short of plastic surgery. She also had a blepahroplasty (fixing of eye lid droop), and that certainly helped her tired eyes look better (the eyelid droop is genetic...darn it!).

Anyways, just wanted to throw out my negative experience with the whole microderm process. Save your pennies for something different.

Larissa

Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body.
~Elizabeth Stone

table4three
02-18-2006, 08:53 PM
I use sunscreen religiously every day of the year.

I'm turning 30 this year. FOr the past few years, I've used Clinique's Repairwear line - day cream & night cream and their firming eyelift cream. My friends seem to think it works because compared to my peers I don't have the same amount of wrinkles/lines.

I have no experience with microdermabrasion.

http://lilypie.com/baby1/060325/3/15/5/-6/.png

elliput
02-18-2006, 09:24 PM
I was thinking the same thing. 30 seems like just past infancy to me now. ;-)

Rachels
02-18-2006, 09:46 PM
A third to that! The thirties are great and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I've loved being in my thirties. I'm enjoying all the stuff I knocked myself out in my twenties trying to achieve.

-Rachel
Mama to Abigail Rose
5/18/02
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif
Nursed for three years!

and Ethan James
10/19/05
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/bf.jpg

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya

jd11365
02-18-2006, 09:48 PM
I'm a HUGE fan of microdermabrasion. My mother has been a clinical aesthetician for over 20 years, and of all the services she has provided, the microdermabrasion is my favorite. Really, it's the most amazing invention, and my skin is incredible after having it done. Unfortunately, I don't have it done often because it's expensive and for my mom to do it for me, I have to travel out of state. :(

mommy111
02-18-2006, 11:55 PM
Yay to that!
I guess I'm just feeling blue because all my 20s seem to have been spent worrying about college, about work, about baby, about money and now about a divorce. I feel like I haven't had any 20s at all and now they're over....I feel like I've lived a whole lifetime of responsibilities in my 20s. Actually, maybe I should be thinking Thank Heavens they're over!!!!!

mommy111
02-18-2006, 11:57 PM
Larissa, thanks for the personal experience. I was looking into buying a home microderm thing but maybe I'll hold off and spend the money on something more useful!

aliceinwonderland
02-19-2006, 09:31 AM
That's good to hear, my little sister has had it done and so did a guy i used to work with (both in their 20s!!). My little sister also smokes, and her skin is pretty amazing.I am waiting to be able to afford it consistently, but it's on my list, for sure!!

lynettefrancois
02-19-2006, 01:09 PM
I just had my first chemical peel and I think it made a BIG difference. I don't think it makes a big difference with wrinkles, but my skin texture is so much better. I have very dry skin and I think it depends on your skin type as to whether it helps. Basically, all the old dead skin came off, after the new skin was ready to show itself. :) Took about 3 days to peel, was red and splotchy the first 2 days (I don't think that's the norm though). I plan to go in for another in a couple of weeks. I'm afraid of the Botox still- doesn't seem tested enough.

emmiem
02-19-2006, 01:17 PM
You don't need cosmetic surgery or microdermabrasion at 30. Check out www.cosmeticscop.com. She has great information about products and what you need to combat wrinkles. Basically, you need a mild cleanser, an exfoliating creme or lotion, and sunscreen!
Michele

jerseygirl07067
02-19-2006, 03:49 PM
I second the cosmeticcop.com site. A wealth of info.

I am quite obsessive when it comes to skin care lately, and have done a lot of research. My biggest reason is that with exercise and good eating I have taken 10 years off the appearance of my body, and now I am trying to do the same with my face. :) (I am 36) This is what I have come up with that is best to do on a regular basis:

1. Obviously sunscreen, which goes without saying. Make sure you have one that blocks UVA also, as many do not do this effectively. UVA rays are what cause wrinkling.

2. You can try incorporating a topical vitamin C product to help combat the free radicals that are caused by the sun, our environment, etc. I just bought some samples off of e-bay of SkinCeuticals CE Ferulic serum. You put this on in the am under sunscreen.

3. If your skin looks dull and you just want to give it a glow, you can try a few things, though don't try them together or at the same time. See what a gentle scrub will do a few times a week. If that does not make a big difference, try using an alpha hydroxy acid product a few times a week at night. It is also called glycolic acid and helps to remove the top (and often dull) layer of the epidermis. Our cell turnover rate does decrease as we age, so often the top layer will look a bit dull. The glycolic acid just helps things along a bit. Just know that it will sting initially when you use it, but this will go away with time. Quite honestly, out of everything I do for my skin, I get the most bang for the buck with them.

4. Yes, check out cosmeticcop.com. She started out as the "Ralph Nader" of the cosmetics industry, separating hype and false claims from fact. She actually started making her own products recently as well, which are pretty good, and not expensive. I use the 8% AHA and really like it. She explains on her website, how to tell if a product is properly formulated. For example, there are lots of glycolic products out there, but the pH is too high, or the concentration of the glycolic acid is too low, making it less effective and therefore a waste of money. Another site I find that is useful too is makeupalley.com. There is a skincare board. Talk about some ladies that know their stuff. They are using all kinds of things to slow the aging process like Vit C, retin-A, etc.

Good luck. I love this subject, and read up as much about it as I can.

Oh, regarding the microdermabrasion...I have heard mixed reviews. There are a lot of variables, depending on the settings used, etc. As far as I have researched, it will not diminish very significant scars, but can improve the texture of the skin. There are home microdermabrasion kits which I have heard are good, but I think you probably can get a better result from a professional that uses the PROPER settings. The Olay Microdermabrasion kit is good, as well as the one by Philosophy.

Anyway, good luck!!

Marcy

Sarah1
02-19-2006, 04:35 PM
>I didn't know 30 was "OOOLLLLDDD."

Um, yeah, that was my thought. :o

Sarah1
02-19-2006, 04:37 PM
For me, using an AHA cream really helps my skin look more radiant and less dull. I use one by MD Formulations.

My MIL recently said her derm recommended Regenerist by Olay and she sent me some. I have yet to try it but will once my usual stuff runs out.

mommy111
02-19-2006, 11:41 PM
Thank you all ladies, you are a wealth of information (and encouragement!). The cosmeticcop.com site is awesome, thank you so much! And the sunblock with UVA protection, I never knew about that, I thought it was the B that caused skin cancer and must be avoided. My sunblock doesn't have any UVA blocker but DD's blue lizard does, so I guess we'll be sharing sun screen!!