PDA

View Full Version : Baby First Aid Question: Cut on Fingertip...

MommyAllison
02-18-2006, 11:08 PM
I was trimming DD's fingernails and accidentally got a piece of skin. :( :( The bleeding stopped easily enough, but now she has a tiny flap of skin and I'm wondering if I need to put antibiotic ointment on it? Since it's the tip of her finger, it spends a good amount of time in her mouth, so I'm thinking Neosporin might not be safe to use since she will ingest it - and I don't think I can get a Band-Aid to stay on. Any suggestions?

Allison

table4three
02-18-2006, 11:17 PM
When DS recently burned his finger on the oven (ouch!) I put neosporin on and then covered his hand with a sock. He slept that way that night. I was leery about using a bandaid because it seems like a choking hazard if he gets it off. So, we decided to go the baby mitten or sock on the hand route.

Good luck!

http://lilypie.com/baby1/060325/3/15/5/-6/.png

MommyAllison
02-18-2006, 11:26 PM
Thank you! That should work...now I just need to get her to stop banging her hand on things (apparently it doesn't hurt?) - she keeps making the bleeding start again - at least it's very little and stops fast.

Allison

Marisa6826
02-19-2006, 01:58 AM
I did the same thing with Mia when she was still tiny. I couldn't get it to stop bleeding for the better part of over 20 minutes. I finally had to put a little dab of styptic powder on it (we keep it around for when we clip the dogs' nails).

I let it completely dry (I held her little hand so she didn't put it in her mouth) and then rinsed it down very well with just some water on a very wet paper towel.

Sophie's pretty prone to hang nails. She tends to pick at them and make them bleed. When she was younger, I couldn't trust her to keep the regular Bandaids on, but the Liquid Bandaid stuff was perfect. Again, I applied it and held her hand till it was dry and then rinsed it under some running water.

Nipping their little fingers is a total Mommy rite of passage. Just wait till she eventually falls off your bed. ;) We've all been there.

hugs

-m

JElaineB
02-19-2006, 11:29 AM
I will second Marisa's suggestion of using the Liquid Band-aid stuff. It will seal up the skin and she won't be able to get it off. I definitely wouldn't use a regular band-aid because it would be a choking hazard.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

MommyAllison
02-19-2006, 05:35 PM
Thanks Marisa and Jennifer! It was a very sad thing for me - her first injury and it was my fault - but DD has completely forgotten it of course. :) I used a sock overnight and so far today its been fine but I will pick up some Liquid Band-aid. I still have to finish cutting her fingernails but am putting it off for now. Thank you for the hugs!

Allison