PDA

View Full Version : OT: Which toaster oven should I get?

samsonsmom
02-19-2006, 03:35 PM
I've been reading reviews for the past hour and it is making my head hurt. What happened to the good ol' days when we just went out and bought something, hoped it worked, and it usually did?

A few weeks ago, I found exactly what I wanted (after reading reviews, etc.) and I'm really sure that it was available at Costco, but I was waiting to buy it after I got my Costco rebate check. Silly me, didn't write it down. Now I can't remember what it was, and can't even seem to locate the same thing at epinions, Amazon, etc. And when I go to the Costco website, they only list one model and I'm sure it's not the one. Are there more available in the store than on the website?

I think the price was somewheres around $70-$90, and it was the kind that's also a convection oven.

Does that ring a bell with anyone? Or, if not, what toaster oven do you recommend? One thing seems clear from reading the reviews: there are a lot of bad ones out there. Anyone out there have one that they're happy with?

o_mom
02-19-2006, 05:26 PM
I have bought and returned three toaster ovens in the last year - so I share your pain, LOL!

I have been looking at the Cusinart, one that is also convection, but it is $150 - if it turns out that is the one, let me know, that would be a great deal.

new_mommy25
02-19-2006, 05:51 PM
We bought a toaster oven at Costco a few months ago. It's an Oster and it's also convection. We love it!! Absolutely no complaints as of yet.

I couldn't find a model number when I looked at mine but judging from the picture I'm pretty sure this is the one we have. http://tinyurl.com/zmm7r
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000ASG3G2.01-A124QKVCS3XYKC._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

m448
02-19-2006, 06:12 PM
Hee! I just bought that one last month (actually DH bought it - sent him out for a crockpot and he came home with it plus the oven). No complaints either and despite not researching it like I do almost everything it's a great buy. I was considering the wolfgang puck one but it's so massive it kind of defeated the purpose of a smaller appliance to run instead of the oven for quick crisping.

Marielle

Ian - born 10/03
&
Ryan - born 01/06

brittone2
02-20-2006, 01:32 AM
because I grew up without a toaster oven, and I would like to rely on my microwave less and less.

I like the idea of a toaster oven, and we kick the idea around from time to time, but I want to make sure we'll use it unlike many other kitchen gadgets that we have collecting dust ;)

I'm particularly interested in what you use the convection oven for? Do you ever bake in it?

Just curious what you find yourself using it for the most (obviously I could use it to reheat things, but do you actually cook anything specific in yours? Do you use the convection).

We live in NC where summers are hot. I'm thinking it would be nice to use sometimes instead of heating up the house with the oven. Does that work?

Thanks, and sorry for the hijack :)

brittone2
02-20-2006, 01:32 AM
because I grew up without a toaster oven, and I would like to rely on my microwave less and less.

I like the idea of a toaster oven, and we kick the idea around from time to time, but I want to make sure we'll use it unlike many other kitchen gadgets that we have collecting dust ;)

I'm particularly interested in what you use the convection oven for? Do you ever bake in it?

Just curious what you find yourself using it for the most (obviously I could use it to reheat things, but do you actually cook anything specific in yours? Do you use the convection).

We live in NC where summers are hot. I'm thinking it would be nice to use sometimes instead of heating up the house with the oven. Does that work?

Thanks, and sorry for the hijack :)

m448
02-20-2006, 09:51 AM
Beth we're in NC too and look forward to using 2 appliances this summer that won't heat up the house (the crockpot and the toaster oven).

Ours isn't huge but it's got a better capacity than most of the other starter ovens. Everday I use it to make toast slices, or those morning toaster pastries. For lunch & dinner I use it to crisp rolls & loaf type breads that wouldn't have fit in our old toaster and I would have used the oven. Hubby makes small batches of quickbreads & muffins in there too. I look forward to having a bit more time soon and make up homemade breakfast burritos in large batches to freeze. I'd much rather heat them up in the toaster oven than in the microwave (because they'd be toasty).

I love hot sandwiches for lunch and while it would be great to have a sandwich press I don't make them often so I'd rather have the toasted sandwich in the toaster oven. I also like to get little appetizer type food from BJs for a quick lunch and find it's easier and more efficient to heat them up for 1 or 2 people in the toaster oven.

Marielle

Ian - born 10/03
&
Ryan - born 01/06

deannanb
02-20-2006, 12:22 PM
Delonghi?
http://www.delonghi.com/Int/USA/prodotti.html

we bought ours at Williams Sonoma and then saw a similar one at Costco.

Compared to the cheap Black and Decker one you can buy at Walmart - the walmart one is probably better.

It did take some time getting used to this high tech toaster. It will dehydrate and all sorts of other things!

samsonsmom
02-20-2006, 09:58 PM
Since I haven't been able to relocate the one I was looking at before, I've been looking at a Cuisinart that I'm guessing is the same one you're looking at...the one with 188 reviews on Amazon? Even though most of the reviews are great, I'm kind of scared off by the minority that really hated it. But FWIW, BJs does have this one (at least I think it's the same thing but just with BJs own model number) for $99.99.

samsonsmom
02-20-2006, 10:00 PM
This one does look really nice, and I'm actually thinking it might be THE ONE I was looking at awhile back. But now it seems to have vanished from Costco! I went ahead and made the trek to the store yesterday, and they didn't have ANY toaster ovens. Not even one.

I'm tempted...ETA, if only I could find one (don't want to pay shipping)!

m448
02-20-2006, 10:46 PM
If it's the oster we found ours at Target.

Marielle

Ian - born 10/03
&
Ryan - born 01/06

ribbit1019
02-21-2006, 12:09 PM
I got one for Christmas and I have used it a lot. Expect for the larger baking jobs i.e. cakes and cookies. Not that the toaster oven couldn't do them, it would just take a lot longer, negating the whole saving energy thing.
I use it all the time for the easy stuff like breads, muffins, pizza, chicken breasts, impossible cheeseburger pie, :). Uses less energy and my electric bill actually went down! If there is a convection option for the item I am making I use it, but not very often. DH makes his toast in it, drives me crazy since he could make it a lot faster with the toaster using less electricity. We still use the microwave but are relying on it far less now. Which I prefer also.

Christy
Maddy born 6/09/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png

Little Man due 3/02/06
http://bd.lilypie.com/fdihm5/.png
Co-Owner Ribbit Baby

Frogs are lucky, they eat what bugs them.

o_mom
02-21-2006, 02:01 PM
Yep, that's the one - it was rated tops by Consumer Reports. Having tried three others, I am down to this one. My neighbor has it and loves it. For $100 I'd get it - but no BJ's here. :-(

brittone2
02-21-2006, 02:08 PM
Thanks to both of you! I'm thinking we might have a toaster oven in our future ;)

Mamma2004
02-21-2006, 02:21 PM
Beth, we got our Delonghi convection/toaster oven over 8 years ago and it is still going strong with DAILY use! We donated our toaster so the toaster oven took its place on our counter. Here are a few times that we use it:

-toast/bagel/English muffin
-reheating, esp. anything with meat that would get "funny" in the microwave
-chicken breasts
-zucchini bread
-appetizers such as crab dip, artichoke/spinach dip, etc. that require baking or browning
-warming bread or rolls for dinner
-reheating pizza that we made the night before
-oven-roasted potatoes and sweet potatoes
-baked potatoes and sweet potatoes
-baking brownies

We honestly use it every day and often use the convection setting to speed up the cook time. We haven't had them in years but I used to make (frozen) onion rings in it and they were soooooo yummy and crisp!

Even here in Massachusetts we try not to use the oven much in the humid summer so this toaster oven does the trick.

Good luck!
Stephanie