PDA

View Full Version : Waaay OT - Please help me find a pseudonym for a city!

Judegirl
02-19-2006, 11:34 PM
Is anyone here good at this kind of thing?? I'm lousy at it, and I need a workable one in time for a conference I'm presenting at this week...

It needs to be fairly realistic, but not suggestive of any other US city. (A lot of "boring" names sound very much like they could be real towns in Connecticut...) It needs to be one word, and it needs to be devoid of religious overtones (i.e. Christenson) would not work. It cannot end in "town" or "ville" because those are too folksy; it has to sound like a metropolis.

A Celtic or mystic resonance would be nice.

Please help! Everything I've thought of is just terrible, and I'm running out of time.

Thanks!
Jude

Fairy
02-19-2006, 11:46 PM
Ooh, I like this one!

Ok, you said no ville's, but Shelbyville is always fun because it's the stereotypical "everytown" that every state has and is routinely made fun of on the Simpsons. It may be an appreciated reference that will set a humorous and upbeat tone for your PPT.

Another suggestion is Bedrock. Yes, that's The Flintstones. I know, not what you were going for, but still could be effective in setting a nice tone while communicating the feel of a metropolis.

Kronos. Ok, so it's the name of the Klingon homeworld. If there are Star Trek fans in the audience, they'll LOVE this name and you'll immediately cull favor with them (is it a techie audience? There are sure to be some). If there are not, then they won't know this from a hole in the wall.

Or, here are some recommendations:

Timber Falls
Mission Park
Lauriston
Peterock
Traverly
Porthos

Ok, maybe those gave you some ideas. Good luck!

jbowman
02-19-2006, 11:55 PM
I'm thinking of county names, FWIW:

Hamilton
Harris
Upton
Collin
Caldwell
Ellis
Liberty (prob. too cheesy)
Morris
Wheeler
Martin

My favorite fake city, though: Peyton Place ;)

Good luck and I HTH!

jbowman
02-19-2006, 11:55 PM
I'm thinking of county names, FWIW:

Hamilton
Harris
Upton
Collin
Caldwell
Ellis
Liberty (prob. too cheesy)
Morris
Wheeler
Martin

My favorite fake city, though: Peyton Place ;)

Good luck and I HTH!

elliput
02-20-2006, 09:22 AM
Ostgardr - New York City is known by this name in the Society for Creative Anachronism (a Medeival and Renaissance recreation group).

crl
02-20-2006, 12:57 PM
I'm thinking of adding the "new" to other places (like New York, New Orleans). How about New Dublin?

mudder17
02-20-2006, 02:06 PM
Hey, how about Roryton? ;)

Let's see...

Woodington
Marshallton
Chesterton
Dorrinton
Devonshire
Anjou

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

Judegirl
02-21-2006, 02:52 AM
Thanks a million for the suggestions, everyone! I haven't found the perfect one yet; please feel free to add more if anything comes to you. I liked a lot of these were very cool and I would love to use them, but I think some are suggestive of an English city, or Greece, etc...anything that leads to guessing would be problematic. Ditto with two-word places (suggests NYC) or ones that SCA uses for NYC; my audience would know such things! :)

Anjou, though...that might be a possibility....I don't think that'll remind anyone of anything...hmmmm!

Anyway, thanks to all of you for helping me...I really appreciate it!

Jude

elliput
02-21-2006, 08:34 AM
>ones that SCA uses for NYC; my audience would know such things!

I had a feeling they probably would considering the type of name you were looking for. Just thought I would throw it out for consideration. ;-)