PDA

View Full Version : What horrible nickname does your DH have for you or your DC?

elliput
02-20-2006, 11:41 AM
Luckily, none. If my DH did start to use nicknames of this type, he would quickly get his own uncomplementary nickname and we would have a discussion about what exactly consistutes an affectionate name. What's good for the goose, don't you know.

mudder17
02-20-2006, 12:01 PM
No, nothing bad. The worse thing he calls her is "twit", but I happen to agree with him during those times and she goes around saying, "twit, twit, twit, twit!"

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

BillK
02-20-2006, 12:05 PM
I sometimes refer to Zach as "stinker-pot-pie" but I don't think my wife finds it annoying or anything. I suppose I should ask her though.

mommyoftwo
02-20-2006, 12:09 PM
Well, at least Amelia isn't repeating it yet. DH is working hard to watch what he says and is making progress. We don't use bad language here, but I'm afraid she is going to pick up on his jokes or other comments. She loves to repeat everything. The other day he said something about raw stool and she went around the house saying "raw stool, raw stool." *sigh* Fortunately, she had no idea what she was saying and hasn't repeated it since. Ironically, if DH hears someone else's bad nickname, he has no trouble pointing out that it's a terrible nickname. He just doesn't get that his nicknames are bad. I'll keep working on him. :)

Jenn98
02-20-2006, 01:22 PM
I suspect you might be able to remedy this situation by taking the PP's advice and coming up with your own nickname for DH. Try something that refers to his manhood in a negative, *or small* way. While I normally don't advocate this approach, sometimes you have to fight fire with fire! :)

newnana
02-20-2006, 01:47 PM
We disagree on the language front. DH still swears in front of DD. Thankfully she can't speak yet, but there is no doubt that she pays rapt attention to him when he speaks.

The only nickname DH has for DD actually came about quite innocently. She was dubbed "the peanut" in the womb. It has stuck. DH shortens everything, and somehow it has become "P.P." I didn't realize this was where it came from until my mom was visiting one weekend and asked him why he called her such a thing. Apparently he hadn't made the connection until she mentioned it. Now he's finding it a hard habit to break.

ellies mom
02-20-2006, 02:04 PM
And you respond when he calls you the "big turd"? If you don't want to be called that, just stop what you are doing, look at him without saying anything, and then turn away and carry on with what you are doing. The look tells him you heard him and the ignoring him tells him that it is not OK.

The next time he says something about how another nickname is bad, just ask him "and calling our daughters small bits of hardened feces is ok?" Don't focus on the actual words, focus on the meaning, even using the S-word instead of feces would be appropriate.

Good luck on your training.

swampus
02-20-2006, 03:40 PM
I actually knew those terms! The doc explained them to me when dd kept bearing down when she was a little babe (paranoid mommy demanded to see a pediatric GI!).

My dh's nn for me: Preggie Poops.

He calls me this all the time--everywhere. He never has called me by my real name--ever! Crazy, eh? I've had lots of nns over the years, but this one stuck after he heard about "preggie pops" and thought those were so funny.

I am not, for the record, pregnant!

BarbieSmith
02-20-2006, 04:13 PM
YES! Hubby calls me lesbo - it is actually an affectionate term (his aunt is gay and he has gay friends, so no slur!!!). But I am embarrassed when he accidentally does it in public, because people look at me and wonder. Doesnt happen often luckily.

But our sweet Ava he calls his "little precious" - no bad nicknames for his darling, LOL.

Barbie

smallestangel
02-20-2006, 04:26 PM
Well, he dosen't have any off color nicknames for us. But he'll sometimes call Jacob's nursing sessions a "trip to the t!tty bar". Because when he was little he would fall asleep nursing with that happy "milk drunk" look on his face. He just thinks that's the funniest thing.

Pretty crass I know. I told him he needs to cut that out now and he agrees. DS is in the repeating stage, and I don't want him asking to go to the t!tty bar when he wants to nurse! He simply asks for "nums" and I want to keep it that way.

Amanda

chiqanita
02-20-2006, 04:43 PM
DH doesn't have "off color" NNs for us but ILs do for my twins.

ILs call my little guys "cagaditos" which loosely translated means "little sh*ts or little sh*tters". I tried to stop it way in the beginning but they see nothing wrong with it so it continues. DH thinks it's funny. Even my father thinks it's no big deal....it's a cultural thing.

DH calls me "mister" or "buster". When we were pre-dating he tried to steal a kiss in our office bldg stairwell. I pushed him back and said "distance mister" and when I get angry I tend to use the word 'buster' a lot.

Your DHs NNs are a little gross but sort of cute. Aren't there other medical terms he can use like "left ventricle" and "right ventricle"? ;)

Edited for clarity.

BillK
02-20-2006, 04:54 PM
>DS is in the repeating stage, and I don't want him asking to go to the t!tty bar when he wants to nurse!
>Amanda

That made me LOL irl here in my office. Classic!

cmdunn1972
02-20-2006, 06:35 PM
DH has this habit of calling DS "Baby". It sounds harmless, but it drives me nuts! We picked out a beautiful, handsome name for our child, so why does he want to call him something so generic? I've been trying to break him of the habit. When he calls DS "Baby", I say, "You mean 'Todd'?" (short for "Toddler") So far it's working, but bad habits are hard to break. ;)

kijip
02-21-2006, 02:00 AM
None. If anyone nicknamed me or Toby something I found uncomfortable or gross, they would not use those names for very long (at least not to my face). Honestly, if I asked J to stop calling Toby or me a name he would do it no questions asked out of respect. I can't think of any nicknames we have for each other on a regular basis. Sometime he calls me Katiede but that is just a play on my name. We both call Toby: Tobster, mister knister and Tobes but again, nothing we find to be a problem. I think that if you see it as a problem you should put a stop to it. That is just plain YUCKY. ITA with Veronica's advice above!

AngelaS
02-21-2006, 04:03 PM
Dh calls Gabrielle "Gabbyrelish" which drives me NUTS and he knows it.

When he's especially annoying, I tell him to stop being a rectum. :D

mommyoftwo
02-21-2006, 07:15 PM
Fortunately, he doesn't actually expect me to answer to it. It's more of a thing he does with the girls. "You're the fecalith, Linnea's the stercolith, and Mommy's the big turd" kind of thing. We've made great progess with him not saying things about gas, feces etc. so one step at a time I guess. :)

mommyoftwo
02-21-2006, 07:18 PM
>I actually knew those terms! The doc explained them to me
>when dd kept bearing down when she was a little babe (paranoid
>mommy demanded to see a pediatric GI!).

Wow! Don't you feel smart. :) I've never know anyone outside of the medical field to have even heard the terms let alone know what they mean.

>My dh's nn for me: Preggie Poops.
>
>He calls me this all the time--everywhere. He never has
>called me by my real name--ever! Crazy, eh? I've had lots of
>nns over the years, but this one stuck after he heard about
>"preggie pops" and thought those were so funny.

My DH though preggie pops was a really funny name too. He made a big deal about it when I was pregnant. I think it's hilarious that your husband made a nickname out of it when you're not even pregnant. Sometimes I wonder what goes on in their brains. :)

mommyoftwo
02-21-2006, 07:21 PM
>Your DHs NNs are a little gross but sort of cute.

No one know what they mean, so they sound kinda cute when you you think about how they sound. It's probably a good thing too cause he uses their nicknames in public sometimes.

Aren't
>there other medical terms he can use like "left ventricle" and
>"right ventricle"? ;)

That made me laugh out loud-so funny. I kinda wish he would say something like that sometimes. I'll have to suggest it to him. :)

mommyoftwo
02-21-2006, 07:23 PM
>When he's especially annoying, I tell him to stop being a
>rectum. :D

LOL, that's what my husband literally says when he's annoyed at someone.

mommyoftwo
02-21-2006, 07:26 PM
I've really enjoyed seeing the responses to my thread. I think I'll show it to DH to point out the horrified responses. :) Plus it's great to hear the other annoying nicknames people have. Glad to know I'm not alone and it was definitely good for some laughs.

tarahsolazy
02-21-2006, 11:54 PM
We sometimes refer to our guy as Mute Lad 2004. He doesn't talk, much.

mommy_someday
02-21-2006, 11:55 PM
Oh, jeepers, these are hilarious! DH and I are both guilty of NNing DS. We were afraid in the beginning that the poor kid wouldn't ever learn his name because we call him so many things. Most things are pretty benign, I think. A lot of them have more to do with his size, since he's been off the charts for height and weight from the get-go.

The Peanut (DH's contribution while DS was in utero)
Stinker Bean (when he poops)
Punky (short for pumpkin)
Punk-meister
The Luke-ness Monster (my baby bro's contribution)
Lucas Maximus
The Crusher (my grandpa's contribution)
Cracker Jackson (DH's current fave - like Cracker Jacks 'cause he's sweet and a little nutty)
Toaster Struedel (DH says 'cause he's sweet and pops up in the a.m.)
Dooder (variation of dude)
Mr. Squidgy Pants (DH's poopy endearment)

There are TONS more, but that's all I can think of right now. Luckily, DS is plateauing and thinning out so a lot of these won't follow him to adulthood. I loved having a chunky, roly-poly baby, so these really are endearments, fwiw. We love our chub-a-lub! :)

mommyoftwo
02-22-2006, 12:29 AM
DD was "cletus the fetus" in utero until we knew we were having a girl and even after that sometimes. :) I love all the names-they are cracking me up.

Marisa6826
02-22-2006, 01:21 AM
I would be more than furious if my DH spoke to my kids that way. He'd be out on his ass if he continued that behaviour after I asked him to stop. Sounds like he has the maturity level of a 12yo, not that of a mature Father of two. He's a grown man, not a character on South Park or Beavis and Butthead.

Not only is it insulting and rude, it's completely wrong - no matter how cute or endearing he thinks it is. Have you just told him outright how inappropriate it is? I'd put a stop to it immediately. In my book, it borders on verbal abuse. Even if it's done as a passive agressive thing, it's abusive.

-m

mommyoftwo
02-22-2006, 02:29 AM
Much to my dismay, my husband thinks bathroom humor is very funny so his nicknames for us follow that train of thought. We have two daughter who's nicknames are "fecalith" and "stercolith" respectively. These are medical terms for small bits of hardened feces that get stuck in the intestine. I'm the "big turd." It drives me absolutely crazy and I can't believe he would actually use those names with affection, but he does. I just wondered if I'm the only one with this problem.

janeybwild
02-22-2006, 10:30 AM
> I'm the "big turd."

Oh dear. I know I shouldn't, but I can't stop laughing. Can't help with your problem, but thanks for lightening my morning :)

proggoddess
02-22-2006, 10:46 AM
Not horrible, but DH calls Gillian by "monkey" even in public. It sort of stuck after I read Dr. Karp's Happiest Toddler book and he referred to young toddlers as "charming chimps." (Which, at 13-18 months, they really are!)

I'm just glad no-one has started calling her "Gigli" like that bad JLo/Ben Affleck movie. I'd have to put a stop to that offensive name right away. Hee hee. ;)

kath68
02-22-2006, 10:47 AM
I occasionally call Charlie "Sir Charles Wigglebottom". DH *hates* it. That makes me torn -- do I call Charlie it more or less? ;) The answer is less.