PDA

View Full Version : Safe cookware?

Globetrotter
02-20-2006, 01:23 PM
Alright, we're ditching our Teflon. Now what??

We tend to cook with very little oil (Canola), so I don't know if SS would work for us. I don't want to start using more oil, resulting in known health risks!! Is anodized cookware okay? We have some of those, and I love them, but are they safe?

I read through previous posts, and I'm still unclear about anodized. Any thoughts?

TIA,

Kris

Jo..
02-20-2006, 01:45 PM
I don't know about anodized cookware, but I love my pre-seasoned Lodge cast iron skillets. They are heavy, so I wouldn't want them to be my ONLY cookware, but they are as shiny and slippery as an oil slick and very inexpensive as well. For pots, you'll be mainly making soups/sauces/boiling water etc. and non-stick won't be an issue so I would use stainless steel. I love love love cooking and couldn't resist chiming in on this one. HTH!

brittone2
02-20-2006, 02:30 PM
Ditto the cast iron. Well seasoned cast iron is just as non stick or better than Teflon IMHO. Wipe it out with water (no soap as it strips the seasoning) and if there are still stuck on bits, just wipe out with a little coarse sea salt or Kosher salt. Works great. We do use oil when cooking, but I'm totally fine with what I consider healthy fats.

Cooking anything tomato based in cast iron can strip the seasoning so you'd have to reseason (potentially). We have some stainless steel pots and pans that we use for other things.

The anodized stuff like the black Calphalon is still Teflon. It just doesn't flake off as easily as the regular Teflon (at least this is what i've read). Since Teflon releases icky gases at higher temps, you'd still have that to contend with, and I'm not sure if still seeps into your food, but we have tossed our Calphalon wok because I'm not interested in

marchmommy
02-20-2006, 03:08 PM
where do you purchase these? and do you these for making say, scrambled eggs? and what about for making pancakes or waffles?

marchmommy
where do you purchase these? and do you these for making say, scrambled eggs? and what about for making pancakes or waffles?

marchmommy

lynettefrancois
02-20-2006, 03:31 PM
We do use oil when cooking, but I'm
>totally fine with what I consider healthy fats.

Ditto! My picks for healthy fats include Canola, expeller pressed safflower oil (both fine for frying/sauteeing (sp?)), and extra virgin olive oil. The latter two are rich in antioxidents. :) I don't worry too much about how much olive or safflower oil we eat. Ask any nutritionist and they will tell you that eating some fat is absolutely essential for health. Those skinny and heart-healthy Italians eat TONS of olive oil (think PESTO!) compared to us, and I think they are much healthier than Americans. :) I think the same can be said for Europeans in general- they are healthier and thinner but eat plenty of fat. My in-laws are French and eat lots of fats. They even eat pieces of fat on barbeque (separately skewered on the stick, so obviously on purpose- yuck!). And they are all thin and healthy, I promise. Just stick to the good-for-you fats and you'll be fine or even better off.

Cast Iron is great (it's just like the pampered chef bakeware- you "season" the surface and it becomes naturally nonstick). However, I'm not sure if small children can get too much iron from continually using the pans (by continually I mean several times daily). Maybe someone else knows?

We use a few Revere Ware stainless pans (my mom always used it and still has her 30+ year old pans) and we love them. Hers have the copper bottoms. Does anyone know about solid copper pans, BTW? I just love the look and hear they are great for cooking. :) Expensive, but if that's the last set I ever buy, I wouldn't mind paying the extra $$.

brittone2
02-20-2006, 03:40 PM
For eggs, we use a 12 inch cast iron and it works fine. I just add a little oil first, not a ton or anything.

We use a big cast iron griddle for pancakes. Lodge makes one that has a "grill" type thing on one side (for burgers, steaks, etc...the type of thing that would leave sear marks). The other side is smooth. We sit it across 2 burners.

https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product1.asp?menu=logic&idProduct=3942

There was a bit of a learning curve for me on the griddle but now i love it.

Lodge has a website. You can pick up cast iron at all kinds of places, ranging from flea markets to hardware stores to online. Our local hardware store (a gem of a place) carries a ton of it. Lodge has a website. An army/navy/surplus type store might have something too? I've seen the pre-seasoned stuff at Bed Bath and Beyond or Linens and things if I remember correctly.

As Lynette mentioned, we just bought a Pampered Chef muffin pan that is stoneware, as my old one was non-stick and the other one I have was aluminum, and we try to avoid that too.

I never make waffles but I'm sure there is a non-Teflon type of thing out there that would work.
eta:
http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Cookware-All-
Cooking_com_Cast_Iron_Waffle_Iron__6_In#

Oh, also eta: oddly enough I saw cast iron (I think Lodge?) at Cracker Barrel when we had breakfast there a week or so ago ;)

Jo..
02-20-2006, 04:18 PM
The best prices I have come across for these are on Amazon; their prices are even better than ordering directly from Lodge. The free shipping is great too, especially since these pans are heavy ! I like the new pre-seasoned ones because they eliminate the initial messy chore of seasoning them, and the finish holds up much better than seasoning "the old fashioned way" IMO

Through 2/28 they even have 10% off on kitchen and houseware purchases over $25. Enter code IODISCNT at checkout.

Here are some good classic ones on sale (all pre-seasoned Lodge Logic)

6.25" Skillet $5.99
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00063RWT8/qid=1140469875/sr=1-11/ref=sr_1_11/104-8898059-6372769?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=284507

10.25" Skillet $9.99
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006JSUA/qid=1140469451/sr=1-8/ref=sr_1_8/104-8898059-6372769?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=284507

12" Skillet $16.99
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009JKG9C/qid=1140470131/sr=1-11/ref=sr_1_11/104-8898059-6372769?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=284507

13.25" Skillet $21.99
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006JSUC/104-8898059-6372769?n=284507

kellyotn
02-20-2006, 04:34 PM
There is Calphalon with NO teflon, I think its called Calphalon One Hard Anodized. The inside surface is the same as the outside surface, kind of a dull dark grey. Anything name that includes "Nonstick" though, is teflon. And, they do have the shiny black Teflon interior (with dark grey exterior) like Beth mentioned. I think there are four or five names that are of the "Nonstick" variety.

Whether or not Aluminum is a problem, I do not know. But, just wanted to clarify that not all Calphalon has teflon. My Calphalon was bought long ago when they didn't offer teflon, and I just bought a new pan that was not teflon, but I did have to search for it as the other stuff is more readily available today.

ETA - I see Lodge stuff at sporting goods stores - anywhere that selling camping gear. I can't use it anymore b/c we got a smooth cooktop and it'll scratch it. I don't really miss the skillets, but I do sure miss the griddle!

The Review Mommy
02-20-2006, 05:21 PM
Kris,

Non-stick is *SO* overrated! ;) Cast Iron is the way to go! I'd recommend at least a fry pan for omelets and crapes etc. I wouldn’t do a full line of cookware in it though-way too heavy. ;) Get stainless steel with a complete aluminum core for the rest of your cookware. Personally, I don’t like anodized, the inside is too dark to keep an eye out for browning. SS is surprisingly easy to clean and has a light interior, which is what you want- perfect for seeing how things are really cooking in there!

The more oil you add to a pan doesn’t mean your going to get a slicker surface. Sometimes you don’t want that-depending on *how* you are cooking. You will not have to worry about adding more in a SS pan...necessarily.

The amount and type of oil you use should depend on *how* you are cooking:
Searing-high heat with light oil (use veggie or peanut oils) 1tsp swirl to lightly cover, doesn’t coat easily.
Sautéing (jump)-medium high heat with more oil (olive with butter ok for this) 1tbsp, easily coats bottom of pan
Pan Frying-low heat with even more oil (but not that much more then sautéing), or preferably: butter :P Yummy!

Butter and olive oils burn at higher temps so you can’t use it for searing-but you can combine the two for sautéing.

Make sure you are starting with a preheated pan before adding oils and food. Food should be as close to room temp and never watery-pat dry and let drip. Place into the pan, don’t dump, and don’t be moving stuff around unless your sautéing. Here are some awesome “must read� use and care threads for SS cookware:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=37&topic_id=284127&mesg_id=284127&listing_type=search

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=37&topic_id=36959&mesg_id=36959&listing_type=search

The Searing procedure shouldn’t be done in a nonstick pan. The beautiful crust (carmelization) that forms on a piece of meat can’t form and you can’t deglaze (or remove) the fond (sticky remains) to make the sauce-because there isn't any in a non-stick pan to remove. Also, in a SS pan you can use a metal utensil to successfully remove the fond. Trust me; this is the best way to cook a steak! :)

IMO, All-Clad Stainless Steel is the best and safe to use. Pricey, but you can find deals on seconds.
http://www.cookwarenmore.com/

For other great SS options:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=37&topic_id=162364&mesg_id=162364&listing_type=search

In short, here is a recommended list:
12" Cast Iron Fry pan-Lodge or Le Creuset
5-7qt Cast Iron Dutch Oven-Lodge or Le Creueset
10-12" Skillet with lid-All-Clad SS
3-4qt Saucier-All-Clad SS (I like the shape for stirring, better than a traditional saucepan)
8-12qt Stock pot-All Clad SS

HTH
Rebekah

The Review Mommy
02-20-2006, 05:51 PM
Lynette,

Copper

The Good: Supper Gorgeous, and the best heat conductor-hands down. Will last forever!

The Bad: hard to maintain-corrodes easily, so polish frequently. Reactive, and coated with (usually) a fragile tin interior and must be relined by a professional. No metal utensils, so not a good choice for a pan. But…All-Clad has a stainless steel interior that can be used with metal utensils and under the broiler. This would be my choice.

I have this material limited to a mixing bowl in my kitchen that I use for working with egg whites (absolute best for) and using over a saucepan as a "saucier" for delicate sauces. 2 uses in 1, only 1 to care for. ;) KWIM? That’s just the way I do it. I’d get a mixing bowl and a saucier pan in the very *least* if your really a copper fan.

HTH
Rebekah

Globetrotter
02-20-2006, 05:58 PM
I forgot to mention that we are vegetarian, so maybe we have different needs? I'm not sure.

I just looked on Amazon, and the Lodge cast iron skillets get rave reviews. We tend to cook a lot of tomato-based South Asian dishes, as well as misc. stir fries. The usual process is to saute onions, tomatoes and spices, then add other veggies, lentils, or grain, etc, and saute, then simmer... Otherwise, things like crepes or omelettes and scrambled eggs. I don't know if I would want to go through the trouble of seasoning the pan all the time. Actually, I think this is the type they traditionally use for making certain Indian dishes (similar to crepes)! Now I understand why they just leave it out.. This gives me a good excuse to try out different things, I suppose. I wonder if Le Creuset is worth the money? What makes it superior to Lodge brand?
I hadn't heard of Calphalon one, but I wonder what they put into those..

I looked in my cabinet and found a small All Clad pan! My mom gave it to me ages ago, but I all but ignored it. I will test that out, too.

While I do agree that the heart healthy fats should be used (and we already do that), I think they're fine in moderation. People in Europe have a completely different lifestyle (loads of daily walking and small portion sizes) to accomodate the high fat diet. I tend to add olive oil to the kid's meals right before I serve them, for maximum benefits. I've always struggled with weight gain, though.

Kris

Elena
02-20-2006, 06:47 PM
I second the recommendation for the combination of Lodge pre-seasoned from Amazon and All Clad from cookwarenmore.com.

But, I would recommend All Clad Master Chef (MC2) line over Stainless.
I have both All Clad Stainless Steel and MC2 line. The layer of aluminum on MC2 is much thicker, this is what counts for heat conductivity. SS line is 3 ply: stainless, aluminum, stainless, and its aluminum core is very thin. The only advantage of SS is that it's "oficially" the only All Clad line that is dishwasher safe. I put my MC2 pots and pans in dishwasher all the time, and they are completely fine. Plus, you won't be able to stick your 8 quart pot in dishwasher anyway. With MC2 you get much better cookware at better price.

As already mentioned by Rebekah, the best place to buy All Clad is mail order from their outlet store when they have their twice a year 20% off sale:

http://www.cookwarenmore.com/products/index.cfm?VendID=265&AboutVendor=yes

They sell seconds, which look absolutely like first quality pots, I couldn't find any visual defects whatsoever. The only thing is that you are going to get #2 stamped on the back of the handle.

I would call Cookware and More and ask when their next 20% off sale is. Should be in the spring. The last one was in October, I think.

Jo..
02-20-2006, 07:06 PM
Le Creuset is an enameled cast iron which does a couple things:
1. Makes it purty :)
2. Makes it "non-reactive" (nothing happens to the finish when cooking acidic items like tomatoes, vinegars, citrus, etc.)

However, many reviewers state that you need to use a large amount of oil with the enameled pans, which to me defeats the whole purpose!!! I would say use cast iron for cooking non-acidic stuff that you'd like to sear or brown or that you don't want to stick. Use stainless and a little oil when cooking your acidic foods or for "liquidy" dishes: soups stocks sauces. I often do stir frys in stainless and I don't always use oil, the constant stirring motion tends to help minimize any sticking and cleanup with stainless is a breeze - I find it easier to clean than my non-stick pans (which I threw away last year after getting fed up with them for the last time).

BaileyBea
02-20-2006, 08:58 PM
Kris,

I know way too much about pots and pans having worked at Williams-Sonoma.

It all depends on your budget but this is what i recommend. If you can't buy a complete SS set build it up one pot at a time over two years. Buy a Frying Pan and 2 sauce pans to start with and then get the stock pot and saute pan.

The Best: SS from All Clad
Second Best: SS from Calphalon
Third Best: SS from Macys tools of the trade or Emeril (Kohls) Well any SS really, but look at the handles this is the big difference between brands.

Copper is the best but it's so heat sensitive and you shouldn't cook tomato products in copper due to acidity reaction in the Copper pan. Copper is the Rolls Royce of pots and pans but no one has an ONLY copper pan kitchen. It's essential to have SS or some NS pots. Copper pans are easily ruined and you really have to make sure that when you buy a set they teach you the do's and don'ts with Copper Cookware.

Iron Skillets - A good season Iron Skillet will be the best pan and a pan you will hand down to your children if it is taken care of correctly. Make sure it's seasoned before using and after you wash the skillet if you place it back on the stove while it's still wet from being rinsed off and turn on the stove till the water evaporates, then your pan will last forever.

Anodized...... don't do it. Studies are mixed whether or not these products cause diseases and Alheimers. Stores policies are to tell you that that these studies are not conclusive but... notice that Williams-Sonoma doesn't carry many Anodized Products anymore.

No matter what the cooking surface is you will need some type of oil. As a matter of fact most of the problems w/non-stick is that people cook w/o any type of oil and this with the high heat causes a chemical reaction direction on the food you are cooking. We cook w/Olive, Grapeseed, Canola, and butter.

Note this: NEVER NEVER cook food in super high temperatures. Don't set the pans on the highest level on your stove for longer than 3-5 minutes. Pots and Pans are meant to do their best conductivity in medium - medium high heat. Not the HIGH heat. When items are cooked in high heat is when the pots and pans warp and when pots and pans get ruined.

IHTH,

starrynight
02-20-2006, 09:12 PM
I have stainless 18/8 sauce pans and stock pots and cast iron skillets.

JBaxter
02-21-2006, 07:43 AM
I have 2 saucepan size and 2 larger pans of Le Creuset. I really like them ( and they match my kitchen) I use an cast iron skillet for ages ( my grandmother gave it to me when I got my first apartment).