PDA

View Full Version : need advice on Potty Training 101!!!!!!!!!!

KarenNYC
02-20-2006, 05:48 PM
Hey all,

I have finally decided to take the plunge and put Ryan in underwear and hope for the best. He has been peeing on the potty on and off since he was two but never consistently enough to switch to underwear. I finally got him to poop on th epotty once or twice in the last week or two and since we are off from school this week - potty training boot camp has begun.

I put him in underwear and he gets a sticker every time he goes (plus the 5 M&M's we have always given him each time) and will get a special reward after 5 times (a tattoo) and after a whole day (10 time?) another big treat and so on....

My question is how does one actual do this? So far every half an hour I say time to sit on the potty and he has gone but tomorrow I wanted to lengthen the time beween to 45-60 mins and then day 3 wait until he says he has to go. How did you all do it??? tips are welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kboyle
02-20-2006, 08:21 PM
I have no idea, but am curious. DS is in undies while at home, but I'm the one telling him to pee, not him telling me (well, sometimes he does). I've tried to lengthen the time and SOMETIMES he tells me if I haven't asked him yet, but most times he just has an accidemt, so I mainly stay ay 1/2 hr intervals and he can go accident free all day. ALtHOUGH i did forget yesterday and he told me a few times in a row w/o me telling him before he had an accident, so that may just the way to go for my ds.

share some tips!

Momof3Labs
02-20-2006, 09:45 PM
>My question is how does one actual do this? So far every half
>an hour I say time to sit on the potty and he has gone but
>tomorrow I wanted to lengthen the time beween to 45-60 mins
>and then day 3 wait until he says he has to go. How did you
>all do it??? tips are welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seems like fairly quick progression, but maybe he can handle it. If he has an accident, though, go back to the shorter time interval that worked for a while longer.

IME (DS is not reliably PT'd yet, fwiw), the more the child is leading the way, the quicker he'll be trained. In this case, where it is really parent led, it may take him longer to be reliably trained (that is, consistently telling you when he needs to go).