PDA

View Full Version : Handsoap for Sensitive Skin

hez
02-21-2006, 08:32 AM
My apologies for not taking the time to do a search... I haven't had much, as you'll read in a sec.

We're officially in the throes of potty-training Payton. Therefore, he's washing his hands MUCH more than he ever has in his life. 8-10 times a day (vs. 3-4 max). We've been using Kandoo (of course ;)), and he started breaking out in a rash on the backs of his hands this weekend. It's very clearly from the soap, but I haven't narrowed down if it's soap in general (we switched to Softsoap yesterday) or Kandoo in particular. I've got the question in to the experts here to try to help us.

While I'm waiting for an answer, what soaps have you all been using for your kiddos with sensitive skin? Ideally it would be fragrance free. Anything else I should be considering, like a specific lotion to help with the dryness issues? We've already moved to putting Aquaphor on overnight & for naps to try to heal it up.

TIA!

janeybwild
02-21-2006, 08:39 AM
I could have posted this! Yesterday, we noticed the same thing on DD's forearms. We used Softsoap, and this is clearly the irritant. Not sure what we'll switch to. We haven't used Kandoo's yet so it can't be that. In her goal to do everything herself, I think she's not rinsing the soap off properly. I’ll watch with interest what others come up with. Good luck with the potty training :)

Momof3Labs
02-21-2006, 09:05 AM
Cetaphil? When Colin had a long-term diaper rash problem, the ped recommended this for cleaning his bottom after poops. We also use Aveeno body wash (unscented) on him for baths; you could put that in a pump and use it as handsoap.

I bet that it is the Kandoo that is causing the problem - so many of those "baby" and "kid" products have harsh ingredients in them; it's surprising!!

hez
02-21-2006, 10:23 AM
Yup-- I emailed the product guy here who works on it to ask him directly. Payton still can't wear clothes washed in regular Tide, so I'm guessing part of the issue was the scent in the soap. His rash may have been so bad already that just switching soaps may not heal it fast enough for us.

Thanks for the idea on the Cetaphil-- we may add it to our aresenal!

hez
02-21-2006, 10:25 AM
Yup-- DH in particular is very anal about ensuring Payton's hands and arms are rinsed completely. In fact, Payton gave up yesterday and started having me dry his hands for him! But I can see that if Mommy, for instance ;), didn't confirm it was fully rinsed once, leftover soap could be our issue, too.

lisams
02-21-2006, 10:27 AM
I've had the best luck with Method (you can find it at Target). It seems anything anti-bac is harsher. The Method handsoap is scented, it doesn't seem to irritate or dry out DD's hands.

kelly ann
02-21-2006, 11:03 AM
How about some bath soap from the Aveeno baby line, Gentle Naturals, or Aquaphor?

Here is the link for the Aquaphor baby wash...

http://www.eucerinus.com/products/baby_aquawash.html

Katia
02-21-2006, 11:26 AM
Would a bar soap be OK? We use fragrance free Dove for just about everything, including DS's hands. Otherwise I think Cetaphil is a great idea, too -- I know several people who swear by it.

Katia
DS 2003

SweetTooth
02-21-2006, 12:25 PM
How about California Baby products? They have a hair & bodywash for sensitive skin. DS does not necessarily have sensitive skin, but I wanted a safe, gentle product. I just bought some Pampered Chef foam soap dispensers & I was thinking of using the CA baby stuff in it to make it easier to dispense & to make it last longer. Just an idea.

AmyZ
02-21-2006, 12:48 PM
Another vote for Cetaphil!

Amy Z

"Ma!" to Eliana 2/04 - She's 2!
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

hez
02-21-2006, 06:28 PM
Just wanted to say thank you for the ideas! Payton's hands look a little better today-- he had more Aquaphor on during his nap again, so that seems to have helped. I appreciate all your good ideas!!!